Grad Transfers Also May 1 Deadline

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Talk about last minute. 🤣🙄

Last edited:
Talk about last minute. 🤣🙄

I replied to a similar post on the Trove so won't repeat here, but I find it hard to believe that a school to which the athlete has zero obligations to once they graduate, can hold that student athlete captive from going to the graduate school of their choice and playing their sport of choice (pending athletic eligibility available) AFTER they have graduated...simply because they didn't tell you by May 1st.

I have seen crazier things...but something tells me this is ripe for a (legal) challenge...

Yeah. I have a hard time believing anything the ncaa decides at this point can hold up if players decided to challenge it.

Reactions: Seton00
I replied to a similar post on the Trove so won't repeat here, but I find it hard to believe that a school to which the athlete has zero obligations to once they graduate, can hold that student athlete captive from going to the graduate school of their choice and playing their sport of choice (pending athletic eligibility available) AFTER they have graduated...simply because they didn't tell you by May 1st.

I have seen crazier things...but something tells me this is ripe for a (legal) challenge...

Yeah. I have a hard time believing anything the ncaa decides at this point can hold up if players decided to challenge it.
Agreed. They’re losing all cases. Maybe why they did so last minute at least for this year, idk.

Reactions: chickenbox
It is ripe for a possible legal challenge but I don’t think that one necessarily will happen. It’s not an overly-restrictive burden on transferring like requiring transfers to sit out a year. All this deadline is telling players you have until this date to file paperwork indicating that you would like to receive official, legal recruiting overtures from other schools for a possible transfer. Nothing is requiring players to commit to transferring or staying put by May 1. And Nothing is stopping someone like Wusu, Coleman, or even Kadary, from putting their name in the portal while still signaling openness to a return, and forcing Sha to make a choice between entering a bidding war or completely cutting ties.

It is ripe for a possible legal challenge but I don’t think that one necessarily will happen. It’s not an overly-restrictive burden on transferring like requiring transfers to sit out a year. All this deadline is telling players you have until this date to file paperwork indicating that you would like to receive official, legal recruiting overtures from other schools for a possible transfer. Nothing is requiring players to commit to transferring or staying put by May 1. And Nothing is stopping someone like Wusu, Coleman, or even Kadary, from putting their name in the portal while still signaling openness to a return, and forcing Sha to make a choice between entering a bidding war or completely cutting ties.
This is exactly what I think is the case.

And they may lose a court case as some say but they could initiate a one-year sit out rule if players don’t enter the portal by May 1 to enforce it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT