ADVERTISEMENT

GU1 —- notes & stories

Carino re-wrote his article after the game and press conference. Unexpected new focus: the two stars and coach talking about a third guy.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – If you looked at the box score without watching Seton Hall basketball’s 74-70 survival at Georgetown Tuesday, you’d have no clue who pulled the Pirates out of the fire in the final three minutes.

Kadary Richmond, who dazzled with 20 points, eight rebounds and eight assists, opened his postgame interview by explaining it.

“Dylan Addae-Wusu,” he said outside the Pirates’ locker room afterward.

He took the words right out of the mouth of backcourt mate Al-Amir Dawes, who scored 25 points and made all eight of his free throws in 39-plus ironman minutes

“Yeah, my guy Wusu,” said Dawes as he stood next to Richmond, a knowing smile across his face. “We talked together as a team about locking down (in the final minutes), and Wusu did what he had to do. Proud of him.”

Addae-Wusu took just two shots, scored a mere four points and committed five turnovers, but his teammates crediting him like that shows the values of a squad whose surprising campaign continues. The senior guard recorded five steals, including two in the closing moments that rallied the Hall from a three-point deficit.

When asked separately what the key to prevailing was, Hall coach Shaheen Holloway gave the same answer – and elaborated on how it unfolded.

“It was Dylan, right? I was on him,” Holloway said. “He had bad body language, and he wasn’t playing well – he let his offense dictate his defense. I took him out, we had a talk and we hugged it out and I told him, ‘Your defense is going to win the game for us.’

“And it did. He had two big stops down the stretch, and that’s what it’s all about.”

What’s it all about it this: Seton Hall remains in first place in the Big East by avoiding a trap that might well have felled a softer, less-connected squad. Make no mistake: There are no style points for conference road wins.

There’s only a W.

Does this a-hole have to include "for the moment" in his assessment of our Big East lead? You never hear anyone say "for the moment" when talking about a first place team. SMH!!!
I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt (this time) and say it’s because 2 of the other teams play Wednesday and the third plays DePaul on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT