ADVERTISEMENT

Happy with the Knicks draft?

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
If not what would you have done differently?

4th pick Kristaps Porzingis PF

Traded Hardaway Jr for pick # 19 and get Jerian Grant PG Notre Dame

These two picks could go either way....Jackson really rolling the dice. Porzingis seems to have the offensive skill set, but his defense is unknown and that's scary. Knick fans need to be patient given that he's only 19. I don't like McCullough pick for Nets.

Sixers Draft Guillermo Hernangomez With Pick #35, Trade Him To Knicks For Two Future Picks

By Matt Carey

After many thought the Sixers would move back into the first round, Sam Hinkie ended up standing pat with his next pick at #35, whether by choice or by necessity, and grabbed Guillermo Hernangomez, the 21-year-old center from Spain. This being Sam Hinkie, of course, he traded him to the New York Knicks for two future 2nd round picks according to Chris Herring of the Wall Street Journal before this article could be completed. Excitement runs rampant through the streets.

Brooklyn also traded two future second rounders to trade to #39, so that appears to be the going rate this year.

Here's what I had written pre-trade:

Hernangomez played with Kristaps Porzingis on Sevilla in the ACB. He averaged 10.2 points and 6.2 boards a game in 21 minutes a night this season in ACB play.

He has good size for a center at 6-11, 255 pounds with a 7-1 wingspan. Hernangomez, as you may suspect, is a draft-and-stash player, with no immediate word as to when he's expected to make his presence felt in the United States.

Hernangomez's physical profile, coupled with his budding offensive skill level makes him a serviceable, fairly well-rounded offensive center, even if he still has plenty of room to grow. Half of Hernangomez's possessions come from a balanced diet of post ups and rolls to rim, with another significant portion of his offensive production coming from cuts and put backs. He was the only player in the ACB to use 80 total possessions in both situations according to Synergy Sports Technology—evidence of how his ability to exploit his size and mobility helped him on the offensive end.

In the post, the near 7-footer does his best work before the catch. Able to simply bury defenders under the rim times, he makes things easy for himself inside by being physical. More than just a bully, Hernangomez possesses good touch, uses fakes well, and has a variety of moves he uses to score over either shoulder with his back to the basket. Shooting a solid, but not spectacular 44.7% from the block, he struggles to score over length at times and has plenty of room to tighten up his one-on-one scoring repertoire. Nonetheless, his footwork and the variety of moves in his arsenal leave some room for optimism about his ability to create for himself at the NBA level.

Here's his 19 minute scouting video, also compliments of DraftExpress:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/...ernangomez-with-pick-35-trade-him-immediately

Thought there was more NBA ready talent available with the 4th pick either in Mudlay , Winslow , and maybe even Cauley-Stein or Kaminsky. I just don't see him filling a need for a team that has a lot of needs. Trading Hardaway for Grant is one where we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Figured the Knicks would take either Porzingis or Mudiay. Obviously didn't know the Knicks had a deal for Grant so that eliminated Mudiay.

Like the pick because of his upside. The question becomes with Anthony's age does he blossom sooner or later.

Thought there was more NBA ready talent available with the 4th pick either in Mudlay , Winslow , and maybe even Cauley-Stein or Kaminsky. I just don't see him filling a need for a team that has a lot of needs. Trading Hardaway for Grant is one where we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Mudiay might have been the pick if the trade for Grant wasn't already done.

Cauley-Stein and Kaminsky were safe picks but not ones with high upside. You're not winning big on the Knicks with those either of those two.

Winslow might be a good choice down the road but I don't see the value in picking him 4th. He did after all slide down to 10 although that surprised many.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 13h13 hours ago

By the time Kristaps Porzingis is ready to contribute in the NBA, Carmelo Anthony will be eligible for Social Security.

roth_bigger.jpg

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 13h13 hours ago

In all seriousness, heard from several NBA GMs that Kristaps Porzingis has the second highest ceiling in this draft behind Towns.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 11h11 hours ago

Jerian Grant has "Reggie Jackson" type value here. Ready to contribute to an NBA team right now. This should help Knicks fans sleep tonight.

I like the Grant trade. Time will tell, hopefully the ghost of Frederick Weis doesn't appear.

I like the Grant trade. Time will tell, hopefully the ghost of Frederick Weis doesn't appear.
Perception and past success or failure is always an issue.

The Knicks take a foreign player with big time upside but because of past sins it's panned as a potential disaster by many.

Popovich and the Spurs take a totally unknown Serbian and it's being hailed as a great move.

I doubt either player was known to any fan just a few months ago but those same fans now feel worthy of critiquing the moves.

BTW, Chad Ford of ESPN has posted on ESPN's pay site that the Knicks might have had the league's best draft.

Mudiay might have been the pick if the trade for Grant wasn't already done.

Cauley-Stein and Kaminsky were safe picks but not ones with high upside. You're not winning big on the Knicks with those either of those two.

Winslow might be a good choice down the road but I don't see the value in picking him 4th. He did after all slide down to 10 although that surprised many.

Dan
How could anyone know that Grant would be available at 19 when it was the Knick's turn to pick that early in the draft at 4. Personally I would have gone with Mudlay and fill a position of need.

Dan
How could anyone know that Grant would be available at 19 when it was the Knick's turn to pick that early in the draft at 4. Personally I would have gone with Mudlay and fill a position of need.
Jerry, I would assume that a deal was cut early that if Grant was available the Knicks would trade Hardaway for the pick. Knowing that was conceivable then the pick of Porzingis over Mudiay is understandable.

I'll be elated if this kid is the real deal. As a Knicks fan it just seems like we are jinxed.

Jerry, I would assume that a deal was cut early that if Grant was available the Knicks would trade Hardaway for the pick. Knowing that was conceivable then the pick of Porzingis over Mudiay is understandable.
Dan
The problem I still see is that if Grant was not available then they're still are looking for a PG to run the triangle. It worked out for them because Grant was available and Porzingis has a significant upside .

I think the Knicks did well. I think he can contribute right away offensively. His problem is the defensive end because he is so thin. Well, I am sure he will immediately be going to be putting on weight and muscle for the rigors of the NBA.

It will be very interesting to watch him play. This is a guy that wants to be in NYC. A guy who wants the challenge.

If Jackson made the wrong choice, there are alot of people who were wrong as well. It seems just about everyone feels Porzingis has as much upside as anyone other then Townes.In three years or so, well know whether it was good pick or not. Grant seems like a plus. Hardaway took a step or more backward this past season. Maybe it was the system,maybe not, but Grant seemingly brings some defense to the backcourt.

From today's NY Post

In the hours before the draft, on-site ESPN reporter Chris Broussard reported the Knicks were taking point guard Emmanuel Mudiay with the fourth pick if there wasn’t a swap. However, when the Knicks were confident they could trade Tim Hardaway Jr. if Notre Dame senior point guard Jerian Grant fell to 19, the need for Mudiay evaporated.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/26/knicks-porzingis-cops-to-big-weakness-but-eyes-playing-time/

2015 NBA draft winners and losers

By Marc J. Spears June 26, 2015 2:26 AM Yahoo Sports
  • NEW YORK – One former NBA player believes New York Knicks fans will regret booing his ex-teammate, Kristaps Porzingis.

Derrick Byars saw superstar potential in the 19-year-old when they were teammates last season for Spain Cajasol Sevilla. But it was obvious that Knicks fans were more interested in a prospect who can help now than one with potential when they strongly booed Porzingis after he was selected fourth overall in Thursday's NBA draft at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Byars believes Porzingis will get the last laugh.

"Hearing the boos made me feel like they have no idea that they're getting a hell of a player," said Byars, who used to play for the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs. "He has potential to be the best talent from this draft when all is said and done. I knew there would be some boos because of fears of European busts. It's near New York City. I'm sure they wanted Emmanuel Mudiay or Justise Winslow or a name that they were familiar with.

"But I honestly didn't think there would be that many boos. That was kind of brutal. But I think if any European can handle the spotlight and adjusting to the Big Apple, it's Kris."
    Porzingis averaged 10.7 points and 4.8 rebounds in 21.7 minutes per game for Cajasol Seville last season in the respected Spanish ACB League. While the Latvian is skilled, athletic and talented, it could be several seasons before he reaches his potential. The 6-foot-11, 220-pounder took the resounding jeers in stride.

"A lot of fans weren't happy that they drafted me, but I have to do everything that's in my hands to turn those booing into clapping hands," Porzingis said. "There's nothing I can do. I was happy about it. I want to be part of his organization, and the fans are a little harsh sometimes. But that's how it is in New York and I'm ready for it."

WINNER: MIAMI HEAT

Former forward Justise Winslow was expected to be taken within the first six picks. He fell, however, to the 10th selection where the fortunate Heat selected him. Heat president Pat Riley was due for some good luck after losing LeBron James to the Cleveland Cavaliers last offseason – and maybe losing Dwyane Wade this summer.

But with Winslow coming, the Heat might be more attractive for Wade to stay. If Wade and free-agent point guard Goran Dragic re-sign, Miami could have a formidable lineup with those two veteran guards, Winslow, All-Star Chris Bosh and center Hassan Whiteside.

"I feel like we can mesh well," Winslow said about playing with Bosh and Wade. "I feel like we're all so talented and can do so many things on the court that we'll be able to complement each other's skills, and our presence on the court will be great. I'm ready to get down there, meet the guys and I know we'll have a bright future."

LOSER: JAKLIL OKAFOR

Former Duke center Jahlil Okafor appeared to be the biggest competition for Kentucky forward Karl-Anthony Towns for the top pick in the draft. It was projected that if Okafor wasn't selected by Minnesota, that the Los Angeles Lakers would take him with the second overall pick.

Minnesota took Towns as expected. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, however, never made Okafor a draft promise for good reason. Kupchak was quietly enamored with Ohio State guard D'Angelo Russell and selected him second.

Okafor ended up with the rebuilding Sixers with the third pick. Okafor was the best talent on the board and a surprise option for Philadelphia. Even so, the Sixers have drafted a center for the third year in a row after taking Nerlens Noel and still-injured Joel Embiid the past two seasons.

When asked how the Sixers can make it work with three young centers, Okafor said: "I don't know. It's not my job to figure out. I'll go there and work as hard as I can."

WINNER: MINNEAOTA TIMBERWOLVES

The T'wolves filled their biggest roster need by taking Towns with the first overall pick. He joins an intriguing group of young teammates that includes 2015 Rookie of the Year Andrew Wiggins, 2015 dunk champion Zach LaVine, injury-plagued guard Ricky Rubio, center Gorgui Dieng and forward Shabazz Muhammad. Minnesota also acquired the draft rights to Duke point guard Tyus Jones, a Minneapolis native who was the 2015 NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player.

Towns should be the next great power forward in T'wolves history after Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love. He also has the challenge of trying to get Minnesota to the postseason for the first time since 2004.

"That's going to be the main goal of the season for me, making the playoffs," Towns said.

LOSER: SACRAMENTO KINGS

The Sacramento Kings have had one of the least memorable weeks in franchise history, which is very hard to accomplish. Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reported that coach George Karl would like All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins to be traded. New general manager Vlade Divac and owner Vivek Ranadive maintain they don't want to trade Cousins. A disgruntled Cousins was not dealt on draft night but could be later, a source said. The Lakers had talks with the Kings leading up to the draft.

The biggest need in recent years for the Kings has been a point guard. Sacramento passed on All-Rookie Team point guard Elfrid Payton a year ago in the draft. On Thursday, the Kings had a chance to select perhaps the best true point guard in the draft in Emmanuel Mudiay with the sixth pick. Sacramento, however, passed because Divac said Mudiay refused to work out for the Kings. The Kings took Kentucky forward-center Willie Cauley-Stein instead.

Mudiay "refused to come here and work out and I just felt I didn't know him enough to make that very important decision," Divac told reporters in Sacramento.

Back in 2009, there was a talented point guard prospect who refused to work out for the Warriors, but former general manager Larry Riley drafted him seventh overall anyway. The point guard's name was Stephen Curry.

WINNER: PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

It appears that Blazers free agent LaMarcus Aldridge has played his last game in Portland. The San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers are the front-runners to land the All-Star, a source told Yahoo Sports. The Dallas native is also expected to have interest from the Dallas Mavericks.

That's not good news for the Blazers. But in preparation for the expected departure, they acquired two forwards in trades: Mason Plumlee from the Brooklyn Nets; and Noah Vonleh from the Charlotte Hornets.

The Blazers acquired Plumlee and the draft rights to Notre Dame guard Pat Connaughton for the draft rights of Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and guard Steve Blake. Plumlee averaged 11.8 points and 7.6 rebounds in 45 games as a starter last season. Vonleh, acquired on Wednesday, was the ninth pick of last year's draft and was limited to 25 games primarily because of injury. Plumlee and Vonleh don't combine to be Aldridge by any means, but at least Blazers general manager Neil Olshey is being proactive.

LOSER: KEVON LOONEY

Former UCLA forward Kevon Looney entered the draft with two major red flags: a hip injury and sports asthma. While Looney was projected to be middle to late first-round pick, it's inevitable that such issues would hurt one's status. Even so, Looney was one of 20 prospects selected for the draft's green room with a late invitation from the NBA.

Late in the first round, however, Looney, his family and his agent Todd Ramasar abruptly departed from the room for the depths of the Barclays Center when the forward's prospects looked in doubt. But once Looney and his family received word that the champion Golden State Warriors were selecting him with the 30th and final pick of the first round, they rushed back to the green room to sit down and enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime moment in front of the TV cameras. After the Warriors' pick was announced, Looney hugged his family but turned his back on his agent who reached out to him.

Chalk this up to a tough and emotional night for the 19-year-old, who has a reputation as a good person.

WINNER: SATNAM SINGH BHAMARA

Satnam Singh Bhamara became the first Indian-born player to be drafted in the NBA when the Dallas Mavericks took him with the 52nd overall pick in the second round. The mammoth 7-foot-2, 290-pounder heard of his selection while sitting in the stands. He is considered a big project who will likely begin his career with the Mavericks' NBA Development League Texas Legends.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2015-nba-draft-winners-and-losers-062658169.html

Jahlil Okafor goes to a major metropolitan city with a huge fanbase and the ability to play more minutes than any other team. GTFO of here being a loser. Does this guy expect the 2nd best player to go to a winning team right off the bat?? Lakers and Minnesota are all bad teams too. Sixers are trying to position themselves as REAL contenders in the next few years and he can be front and center.

Sort of a weird silver platter mentality.

Sixers 3 best players are centers followed by an inconsistent wing in Covington. There's a process in place but there's no end game seemingly.

90% of the experts rank the Knicks with a good draft. I always assumed the pick was Zinger or Winslow. I'm happy with the overall draft. More importantly, this doesn't mean much if the team strikes out in free agency

Sixers 3 best players are centers followed by an inconsistent wing in Covington. There's a process in place but there's no end game seemingly.

90% of the experts rank the Knicks with a good draft. I always assumed the pick was Zinger or Winslow. I'm happy with the overall draft. More importantly, this doesn't mean much if the team strikes out in free agency
Well the point is to have so much flexibility come free agent time this year and next. Not sure what the lake show is up to but that team is garbage, and needs to make just as many moves as the sixers

Ag
From today's NY Post

In the hours before the draft, on-site ESPN reporter Chris Broussard reported the Knicks were taking point guard Emmanuel Mudiay with the fourth pick if there wasn’t a swap. However, when the Knicks were confident they could trade Tim Hardaway Jr. if Notre Dame senior point guard Jerian Grant fell to 19, the need for Mudiay evaporated.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/26/knicks-porzingis-cops-to-big-weakness-but-eyes-playing-time/
Again... How the hell would the Knicks knw when they were picking 4th that they could possibly have a deal in place to trade Hardaway for Grant with which imaginary team??? How did they know 2hrs ahead that Atlanta would be able to get grant... There was no guarantee He would be there, so hence they took a huge gamble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT