ADVERTISEMENT

Hedging

This is my concern.

Our current NIL fundraising ceiling is probably a team that can overachieve and compete for a bubble spot to get into the NCAA tournament.

I don’t pretend to know what each player on the roster can command in NIL. But it’s obvious that players like Bediako and EHE are on the more budget friendly side of NIL cost.

How would this season turned out if Bediako’s performance was more in line with his 4 year production output at Santa Clara (5.2 ppg / 4.8 rbg / 1 bpg / 54% FT) vs what he has done stepping up in BE play (8.3 ppg / 7.4 rbg / 1.8 bpg / 67% FT)? Or worse yet, what if his game didn’t translate to the step up in BE completion?

What would have happened if any of the starters would have missed significant time due to injury? We already saw the impact of losing Kadary for two games.

And let’s say a player we are blessed to have a player breakout like Myles Powell did his junior season (that team fought to sneak into the tournament), what are the chances of that player returning the following season in the current landscape of NIL?

I think it’s a knee jerk reaction to getting absolutely nothing from the bench. Unfortunately EHE and Sanders appear to be in over their heads at the moment. Currently they are players 7 and 8 in the rotation and you can’t rely on them right now on either side of the floor. The frustrating part is that they are not freshman, so you would have hoped that there would have been some development or acclimation to their present roles.

Going to be really challenging to win games the rest of the way if every night you are relying solely on the starting 5, and Bediako and Wusu aren’t even viable scoring options themselves.

This directly correlates to getting blown out by 20+. When the big 3 aren’t having a good night, we really struggle to score the basketball.
And this affects us more on the road too. Strange.
That is it in a nutshell. No bench , only 3 Big East players on our starting 5 and NOBODY can hit the 3 consistently . It is quite amazing we even won 18 games with our horrible shooting % .
The question is do we have enough left in the tank to prove anything and that our level is a good one or are we regressing to our mean, collapsing out of the NCAAT field? We’ll find out.

Our current NIL fundraising ceiling is probably a team that can overachieve and compete for a bubble spot to get into the NCAA tournament.
This was the exact same complaint against Willard. Now it’s NIL. We moved on from Willard but we can’t move on from NIL. Without mega donors, they say we can’t compete. I guess we’ll find out.

This was the exact same complaint against Willard. Now it’s NIL. We moved on from Willard but we can’t move on from NIL. Without mega donors, they say we can’t compete. I guess we’ll find out.
The more things change the more they remain the same in where SHU sits resources-wise. It’s been the story of the program since the start of the BE.

There is another component to this puzzle that you ABSOLUTELY MUST factor into this analysis. It’s not just NIL but it’s also the rules around the transfer portal.

After Myles Powell’s breakout season, if he wanted to transfer to a different school for a bigger NIL deal he would have had to sit out for a season. There was no way he was going to sit out a year between in junior / senior season while he was testing the NBA draft waters at the same time. It was Seton Hall or go pro. There is no way that those are the only two options afforded to him if he was still in college basketball today.

So the comparison of the landscape that Willard faced and what Sha is facing at Seton Hall are so apples to oranges.

Reactions: Piratz
There is another component to this puzzle that you ABSOLUTELY MUST factor into this analysis. It’s not just NIL but it’s also the rules around the transfer portal.

After Myles Powell’s breakout season, if he wanted to transfer to a different school for a bigger NIL deal he would have had to sit out for a season. There was no way he was going to sit out a year between in junior / senior season while he was testing the NBA draft waters at the same time. It was Seton Hall or go pro. There is no way that those are the only two options afforded to him if he was still in college basketball today.

So the comparison of the landscape that Willard faced and what Sha is facing at Seton Hall are so apples to oranges.
I’m not talking landscape. I’m talking excuses. I’m tired of them. They’re convenient. We have been a pretty consistent top third Big East team for quite some time now and we can’t seem to get over the hump. We always look to blame it on something, whether it’s the coach or the landscape (NIL/transfer portal).

The NFL is parity driven, right? Same salary cap. All rich owners and franchises. Yet some organizations consistently win and others are perennially doomed.

Let’s stop making excuses and just go out and win. Wednesday marks a new beginning. We got blasted on the road. Let’s show we belong and stop looking to point fingers.

There’s no way you or anyone could possibly know what price point makes for a successful team. NIL is too new. The truth is, we have no idea what it takes to say competitive in this day and age. A starting point, as it has always been, is an elite head coach. It’s looking like we might have that. Mike Walsh has done an amazing job getting us little guys involved but it’s up to McBride to pull in the whales. This can’t be put on us. We can’t possibly do it ourselves. We do so much as fans as it is. Especially this board. We’re being made to feel like we’re hopeless and I will not buy into that mindset. I refuse.
I did not just make up that number. I was told that number back in oct. by a Very good source . Believe what you want. Looks like we are on our way with the help of small donors . Dan please keep on pushing the truth about NIL. GO PIRATES !!!!!!

I did not just make up that number. I was told that number back in oct. by a Very good source . Believe what you want. Looks like we are on our way with the help of small donors . Dan please keep on pushing the truth about NIL. GO PIRATES !!!!!!
I did not say that you made up the number, nor did I intend to personally attack you or anyone pushing NIL. It may have come off that way, but I apologize for that. I’m just bitter and tired of the excuses when we start losing games.

My point was that how do we know it takes $1.5M to field a competitive team? We can’t possibly know. It’s too new. But I do realize that I may be coming off as an NIL naysayer and I don’t mean to be. That’s on me. My bad.

Re what is left in the tank. From years of playground play and rec league coaching.

Offense is fun.

Defense is work.

When you work your as off on D, get a stop, and go into an offense that just isnt that terrific, maybe over time it deflates the wherewithal.

Neither Sha or KW will ever be confused with Jay Wright or Greg McD. For whatever reason, Jay and Greg starters play(ed) huge minutes and dont run out of energy, focus, concentration etc etc. Just a simpleton thought.

Neither Sha or KW will ever be confused with Jay Wright or Greg McD. For whatever reason, Jay and Greg starters play(ed) huge minutes and dont run out of energy, focus, concentration etc etc. Just a simpleton thought.
It's just another excuse.

How many points did Spencer have yesterday?
5, same as he had in the earlier meeting between the 2 programs.

Take those 2 games out and he's scoring 15.4 per game in conference.

Seton Hall has his number.

Reactions: SHUSource
I did not say that you made up the number, nor did I intend to personally attack you or anyone pushing NIL. It may have come off that way, but I apologize for that. I’m just bitter and tired of the excuses when we start losing games.

My point was that how do we know it takes $1.5M to field a competitive team? We can’t possibly know. It’s too new. But I do realize that I may be coming off as an NIL naysayer and I don’t mean to be. That’s on me. My bad.
Did not take it as a personal attack but just info to share. Coaches know the numbers players are getting and what they need to be competitive in the NIL market .

Reactions: Hall Is Life
I understand how important it is. We either adapt or die out. I just don’t like how we blame every loss on it. When we win, it’s never about NIL. When we lose, it’s all about NIL. Which one is it?
I think Dan explained it well. We have no bench. That shows up more and more as the season wears on. Check out where two of Nova’s starters and their two top guys off the bench came from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT