ADVERTISEMENT

Hurley leaving court telling fans he will knock them out

Creighton fans need to remember this is the BE. If you storm the court after a conference game you will get some words thrown back at you . Same if you cut down the nets like they did after our game years ago.
True! We owe these cornhuskers for the ref assisted victory at our place ! I hope we don’t have the same refereeing team when we play them in Omaha!

Reactions: statenman
First time beating a #1 team in their program history. I would hope we do it too when it finally happens.
I’m sure we’d go nuts too.

I’ve been out there and it’s def its own vibe. Another situation where the college team is the pro team in a smallish Midwestern city in the plains. Tons of money for the program and great crowds tho.

In the scheme of things it seemed like a relatively minor offense. Still, he needs to avoid reacting and responding.

You can take the kid out of Jersey City, but you can't take the Jersey City out of the kid. As a JC native, I suffer from the same malady.
Not true in your case.

Reactions: HallLine69
I’m sure we’d go nuts too.

I’ve been out there and it’s def its own vibe. Another situation where the college team is the pro team in a smallish Midwestern city in the plains. Tons of money for the program and great crowds tho.
Crowd support for decades. Plus good steaks & restaurants. And home to a well known gazillionaire.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
"But please…act like you’ve been there before!" By the turn-out last night and the electricity in the place, they seem to get it. Someone posted that their "fans are soft." No as soft as our fans---- esp students, apparently. Kids didn't go to the Xavier game last week because the busses were cold! If we beat UCONN last night at the Rock under the same circumstances, wouldn't our fans have stormed the floor? Well, if they had been there.
Personally I kind of think it's a compliment when the number 17 team in the nation storms the court after beating you at home.

Hurley is jersey, and even more particularly he's Jersey City. That's just a part of his DNA. Kind of think it's funny that fans screaming at a coach instead of celebrating a win are being critical of Hurley. I guess it's in Nebraska thing.

As to Hurley, I think it's fair to say he's ashamed of that loss...

Really? That's it, as thousands of fans were streaming the court? Very tame compared to Cooley's response (reported here by one poster) after game at the Rock. And was Shaheen exchanging well wishes with St. John's fans Sunday while Pitino was waiting in the hand shake line?
Shaheen went back to the St. John’s students section after the handshake line.

Personally I kind of think it's a compliment when the number 17 team in the nation storms the court after beating you at home.

Hurley is jersey, and even more particularly he's Jersey City. That's just a part of his DNA. Kind of think it's funny that fans screaming at a coach instead of celebrating a win are being critical of Hurley. I guess it's in Nebraska thing.

Court storming (without getting into the merits and downsides), even between ranked teams, has been going on for years. SHU was a top 20 team in 1993 and the fans flooded the court when they beat Jimmy Jackson and top 10 Ohio State that year.

I don't think fans screaming at a coach is a Nebraska thing; see Ed Cooley 2 weeks ago.

In the scheme of things it seemed like a relatively minor offense. Still, he needs to avoid reacting and responding.

You can take the kid out of Jersey City, but you can't take the Jersey City out of the kid. As a JC native, I suffer from the same malady.
I doubt any of those "tough guy" fans would survive playing one game on the courts that Danny played on when coming up. There's a great book out that JC hoops guys would enjoy..... Hoops Hotbed on the Hudson by Richard Kaner. Traces Hudson County Basketball back to the 40s and includes characters like Heinsohn, Raft', Fr Earle Markey SJ, the Hurleys of course, Mike Rooney, Jackie Gilloon, etc... etc....etc...tons of stories about the high school game from the 40's until current. It's not a book that you "read"..... it's a book that you skim through time and again, finding new gems with every read. A little off topic.... but kind of apropos given this thread. Gives a real sense of what drives Danny Hurley.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHUSource
I doubt any of those "tough guy" fans would survive playing one game on the courts that Danny played on when coming up. There's a great book out that JC hoops guys would enjoy..... Hoops Hotbed on the Hudson by Richard Kaner. Traces Hudson County Basketball back to the 40s and includes characters like Heinsohn, Raft', Fr Earle Markey SJ, the Hurleys of course, Mike Rooney, Jackie Gilloon, etc... etc....etc...tons of stories about the high school game from the 40's until current. It's not a book that you "read"..... it's a book that you skim through time and again, finding new gems with every read. A little off topic.... but kind of apropos given this thread. Gives a real sense of what drives Danny Hurley.
Didn't know about this book. Thanks for mentioning it. Unfortunately, Amazon says 'currently unavailable'.

Court storming (without getting into the merits and downsides), even between ranked teams, has been going on for years. SHU was a top 20 team in 1993 and the fans flooded the court when they beat Jimmy Jackson and top 10 Ohio State that year.

I don't think fans screaming at a coach is a Nebraska thing; see Ed Cooley 2 weeks ago.
It's not the screaming, so much but the whining about a response. "Don't start nothing, won't be nothing."

I realize Hurley is from Jersey city ,but I wonder how many guys he has knocked out LOL

Didn't know about this book. Thanks for mentioning it. Unfortunately, Amazon says 'currently unavailable'.
The author, Richard Kaner, is a retired basketball agent. He's a Jersey City guy, Lincoln High School grad, who recruited for European teams. He lives in Livingston and his number is

(973)731-4455.​

I just spoke to him.
He will take your order over the phone. enjoy

FYI, I called him to order the copy that I have. He's legit. Google around and you'll see various articles about the book's launch in December.

Last edited:
LOL..... wrong Prep.... SPP grad here class of 63.
Left number for you to call for book in another post.
lol....ok here's a true story you'll appreciate. I went to St. John's grammar school in JC and was a very good student. The nuns encouraged me to apply to St. Peters. But a kid who lived across the street from me told me that at St. Peter's they expected you to do 3 hours of homework every night. I thought to myself, no way am I subjecting myself to that. So I applied to and was accepted at both Marist in Bayonne and SHP. After much thought I picked SHP, despite the lengthy daily commute.

On the first day of Seton Hall Prep orientation one of the priests told us in the incoming class we will be required to do 3 hours of homework every night. I thought I would die.

lol....ok here's a true story you'll appreciate. I went to St. John's grammar school in JC and was a very good student. The nuns encouraged me to apply to St. Peters. But a kid who lived across the street from me told me that at St. Peter's they expected you to do 3 hours of homework every night. I thought to myself, no way am I subjecting myself to that. So I applied to and was accepted at both Marist in Bayonne and SHP. After much thought I picked SHP, despite the lengthy daily commute.

On the first day of Seton Hall Prep orientation one of the priests told us in the incoming class we will be required to do 3 hours of homework every night. I thought I would die.
I felt your pain :) I took the opposite lengthy daily commute... from Irvington to JC and back. The #1 Newark bus.... 20 minute walk to the bus stop and a one hour ride each way..... if no traffic tie-ups AND the bridge didn't open...... spent many afternoons in jug. At least I could count on at least an hour to catch up on homework.

Reactions: HallLine69
I got a good laugh in when I googled the Creighton game where they cut down the nets and saw Willards comment below complaining about the start time of the game.
https://www.nj.com/sports/2020/03/k...east-title-then-rubs-pirates-noses-in-it.html

“The good Lord must know I like to go to bed at 10 o'clock," Willard cracked, calling the 9:30 start time “purgatory.”
That game was an afternoon game.

He was talking about having the late game in the Big East Tournament as a 3 seed.

I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if the Big East has ever had a 9:30 PM local time start in its history outside the Big East Tournament.

I attended North Bergen High school at same time as DC. He was the most dominant high school player I have ever seen in any sport.
I never heard of the book you reference and can’t find it anywhere. If you know where it can be purchased please post here. Hudson county produced some phenomenal players back in the day.

I attended North Bergen High school at same time as DC. He was the most dominant high school player I have ever seen in any sport.
I never heard of the book you reference and can’t find it anywhere. If you know where it can be purchased please post here. Hudson county produced some phenomenal players back in the day.
I posted it in response to Hallline69 in this thread. It apparently is not widely distributed but is a gem in the rough. I will create a separate thread with the information. Sounds like others may be interested as well. The author, Rich Kaner, is a Lincoln HS grad '59 and is a retired sports agent for players going to the European Leagues. It was a labor of love for him to put together. It cost $40 and for me it was $ well spent. I recommend the book to anyone with ties to Hudson County Basketball. Really a fun book to thumb through. I got my book by calling Rich. His phone number is

(973)731-4455.​

BTW, Danny Callindrillo, a North Bergen guy, really should have his number retired. Anyone who played on a team that was winleess in the League and wins MVP in the League deserves it for that alone. There are some good stories about Danny and Matty Piccinich (RIP) in the book.

Last edited:
I posted it in response to Hallline69 in this thread. It apparently is not widely distributed but is a gem in the rough. I will create a separate thread with the information. Sounds like others may be interested as well. The author, Rich Kaner, is a Lincoln HS grad '59 and is a retired sports agent for players going to the European Leagues. It was a labor of love for him to put together. It cost $40 and for me it was $ well spent. I recommend the book to anyone with ties to Hudson County Basketball. Really a fun book to thumb through. I got my book by calling Rich. His phone number is

(973)731-4455.​

BTW, Danny Callindrillo, a North Bergen guy, really should have his number retired. Anyone who played on a team that was winleess in the League and wins MVP in the League deserves it for that alone. There are some good stories about Danny and Matty Piccinich (RIP) in the book.
Thanks for the book info. I will follow up.
I can’t understand why DC’s # is not hanging from the rafters. Hopefully the school recognizes this and does something before it’s too late. SMH.

Pretty weak from Danny, who might be the king of vulgar language.
Maybe, but I haven't seen him throw an F bomb during the national anthem. So here's the missing piece we now know, a fan was climbing over a railing as if to come out Hurley and Hurley warned him off.

.... Shrugs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT