ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll ‘go to my grave’ convinced Jim Boeheim got me fired: Ex-Syracuse radio host

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Dhani Joseph

Legendary coach Jim Boeheim was never a fan of bad press.

The former Syracuse University basketball coach was notoriously thin-skinned when it came to criticism from the media and longtime local radio host Brent Axe believes Boeheim got him fired for his supposedly “dark and negative comments” on the team just a week after the coach retired.

“Look, I can’t prove that Jim Boeheim had me fired, JAG, but I will go to my grave believing it was done to appease him,” Axe told Jon “JAG” Gay on the “WJPZ at 50” podcast.

“When Ed Levine talked on the record to Syracuse.com and the reasons for firing me, I mean, that is almost word-for-word what he said to me when it was an inquiry about Jim Boeheim that set him off with that. I can’t prove it. I can’t prove it was done as an order by Jim Boeheim. To use a mafia term, JAG, if he ordered the hit or not. I can’t prove that. But I will go to my grave believing it was done as a hat-tip to Boeheim.”

Axe, who worked for ESPN Syracuse Radio and was a Syracuse alumnus, believes Boeheim’s affiliation as part owner of Galaxy Media Partners, the company that operates the radio station, makes it easy to connect the dots.

“It’s announced on a Saturday [Boeheim] has more involvement in Galaxy Media,” Axe said. “I get fired on a Sunday. Like, listen, I don’t think we have to go to a whole episode of ‘Law & Order’ to figure out what went on here.”

Galaxy Media Partners CEO Ed Levine came out and said tAxe was fired mainly because of “overly negative” comments about Syracuse as well as being a part of an “agenda” related to his position with Syracuse.com.

Axe, however, did not believe that reasoning.

“I had a responsibility to give an honest, fair, and thorough opinion to my audience,” the former radio host said. “We put listeners on the air, and we gave them the opportunity to say what they needed to say.”

With my having media access to SHU and because of that having the opportunity to talk to many, many reporters, if I had to list the coach who was most hated by the media no one even comes in a close second to Jim Boeheim.

I have connections to a golfing partner of his and even he tells me as much as he likes him Boeheim can be an absolute @#$%&%#.

PJ once shocked me by naming him as a fave in some article a few years ago.

The Emperor of Syracuse.

I’ve heard he can be extremely affable and witty, but also manic the other way too if you’re on his list.

I’ve read numerous times that PJ, Boeheim, Pitino, Calhoun and some of the other real BE godfathers are all buddies and respect each other.

Then you must have been shocked when he (PJ) was decked coaching in the pros. 🤪 only thing more shocking was it wasn’t when he was at SH.

I’ve read numerous times that PJ, Boeheim, Pitino, Calhoun and some of the other real BE godfathers are all buddies and respect each other.
Just like the real life godfathers. Only difference was when they were recruiting against one another. They broke their vows.

Reactions: dehere23
I know Calhoun considers Boeheim a friend. I also know that Boeheim indicated he didn't want Connecticut in the ACC after cuse moved there, so just have a good friend he was is debatable. Surprisingly Calhoun in Coach K really like and respect each other. Coach K recently came up to Connecticut for a Calhoun fundraiser.

Calhoun and Pitino couldn't stand each other back in the day going all the way back to when Calhoun was at Northeastern and Pitino was at BU. I think they've reached America of accommodation since then, but calling them friends would probably be a pretty sizable reach.

No idea about PJ.

I know Calhoun considers Boeheim a friend. I also know that Boeheim indicated he didn't want Connecticut in the ACC after cuse moved there, so just have a good friend he was is debatable. Surprisingly Calhoun in Coach K really like and respect each other. Coach K recently came up to Connecticut for a Calhoun fundraiser.

Calhoun and Pitino couldn't stand each other back in the day going all the way back to when Calhoun was at Northeastern and Pitino was at BU. I think they've reached America of accommodation since then, but calling them friends would probably be a pretty sizable reach.

No idea about PJ.
I've read that about Calhoun and Pitino. I think Calhoun had similar issues with Mike Jarvis from his BU days. I also recall reading that Calhoun and Pitino developed immense respect for each other as coaches over the years, although maybe that's the extent of the relationship.

PJ and Pitino had a strong relationship, I believe. Pretty sure PJ recommended the Kentucky gig to Pitino when PJ was going to pass on it.

Also recall reading that Calhoun and Calipari didn't like each other for a long stretch because of the Umass/UConn days and perhaps Marcus Camby playing a role in that.

And Pitino and Calipari had a rivalry at various points. One of the legendary Big East stories from the OG-league is Pitino telling Louie C. that Cal (then an assistant at Pittsburgh) was spreading rumors that Louie had cancer to gain an edge in a recruiting battle for a particular player between Pitt and St. John's. And of course when Cal was at Kentucky and Pitino at Louisville - those are blood wars.

Reactions: CL82
To put it mildly; Calhoun never had anything nice to say about his rival coaches when on the recruiting trail.

Boeheim and PJ were good friends and often dined at an Italian restaurant on Central Avenue in Orange.

To put it mildly; Calhoun never had anything nice to say about his rival coaches when on the recruiting trail.
In what seems like a thousand year ago I and a friend who has since passed away went to a sneaker camp in Princeton and sat behind Calhoun. What an ass. All he did was torch the other coaches, including PJ to whomever he was talking to.

Bragging that no one could recruit like him and how he stole Tate George under Carlesimo's nose.

Absolutely a classless jerk!

Reactions: PJVegas
In what seems like a thousand year ago I and a friend who has since passed away went to a sneaker camp in Princeton and sat behind Calhoun. What an ass. All he did was torch the other coaches, including PJ to whomever he was talking to.

Bragging that no one could recruit like him and how he stole Tate George under Carlesimo's nose.

Absolutely a classless jerk!
This surprises me, but since you heard it firsthand, I accept it at face value. The Jim Calhoun I know is an extraordinarily gracious and philanthropic guy with an incredibly kind heart.

This surprises me, but since you heard it firsthand, I accept it at face value. The Jim Calhoun I know is an extraordinarily gracious and philanthropic guy with an incredibly kind heart.
You didn’t know him on the recruiting trail. His back stabbing of opposing coaches was legendary.

You didn’t know him on the recruiting trail. His back stabbing of opposing coaches was legendary.
True. I did not. In fact, I had never heard that before today. Dan is a credible guy though, so I take his comment at face value.

I do know his philanthropy in Connecticut is impressive, particularly the Pat and Jim Calhoun Cardiology Center. I also know that the degree that he will step up to help his friends and former players, even kids who transferred out, is legendary as well.

I guess people are complex. I do feel as if there is some selective exposure and selective perception showing up in this thread, but I am as guilty of that is anyone else.

What you say above is very true. There were 2 sides to that man. The side you knew (public knowledge & true) & then his basketball recruiting dark side. BTW, I lived in CT 3 different times, ‘56-‘60, ‘64-‘71 (SH ‘68) & the last being 76-84. Knew Richie, Bill, Hoddy, PJ & his original staff very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT