ADVERTISEMENT

I thought we were supposed to be a good defensive team

HallGuy23

Senior
Jun 3, 2020
All you ever hear is how much Sha emphasizes defense and how we’re so good at it. We definitely are not. Big East season is going to be really rough.

Reactions: LBP43
Not having a shot blocker hurts but I agree. Way too many easy shots for NE. We really struggled when Bediako sat.

A weird Game -- If I told anyone that Hall would against Northeastern shoot 59% from floor ; 44% from 3 (Hitting 8 ) 16-19 from FT line ;have 16 assists ; out-rebound by 4 and have only 12 T/Os - they would have laid 30 points. Those at the Game could not leave till last minute only after a "flop" technical called.
Not nearly as much fun as it should have been.

We're undersized up front under ordinary circumstances. Tonight we played even smaller than usual with Coleman essentially playing the four.

Northeastern did a good job getting to the rim and only really started missing late in the game.

If the defense isn’t fixed quickly you can turn out the lights cause we sure aren’t going to keep pace if we have to score a lot of points.

Reactions: thehall07
Team seems to over help on defense and it usually results with the opponent getting a wide open shot on the perimeter. This should be an easy fix; stay with your man.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
My concern is why is Bediako leaving the low post on defense and chasing his man away from the basket? By doing this there is no interior big man to stop drives to the basket. Often his man breaks to the basket and there is no one there to stop him since Bediako is left in no mans land. I would not have him get suckered into leaving the low post ever unless the guy he is guarding is a real 3 point threat!

My concern is why is Bediako leaving the low post on defense and chasing his man away from the basket? By doing this there is no interior big man to stop drives to the basket. Often his man breaks to the basket and there is no one there to stop him since Bediako is left in no mans land. I would not have him get suckered into leaving the low post ever unless the guy he is guarding is a real 3 point threat!
Way too slow to cover pick and rolls.

Reactions: LBP43 and thehall07
Ikey and Ro did it too. Hate it. And a three point shooter dreams of playing us.

No cohesivemess. Hard work to no avail.

Reactions: HallLine69
Too easy dribble penetration...even by their interior players

Our defensive issues have nothing to do with a shot blocker or not…. They have to do with the fact that we’re constantly losing men on switches and chasing
Has been that way for years but the shot blockers erased many of these mistakes. Not this year.

Reactions: Gohall129
I was at the game last night and while I do not think the defense was elite I do not think it was as bad as being portrayed. Last night the kid Turner hit at least three deep shots well passed the three point line. I don’t blame those shots on the defense. I would let the kid take those shots and take my chances.

As to Bediako he has done a fairly good job of hedging the pick and roll and getting back as I don’t think Doherty or any other big man has killed us this year when he is on the court.

Part of the issue is that neither NgaNga nor any other big has shown that they can play the 5. We need EHE to come back and to develop Tubek.

We also didn't have Dre Davis on the court for almost the entire 2nd half....probably our best defender and rebounder.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
We also didn't have Dre Davis on the court for almost the entire 2nd half....probably our best defender and rebounder.
Your best defender shouldn't be fouling out in 17 minutes vs Northeastern. We have a lot of work to do in practice if that's our defense if he's ever in foul trouble.

That 1 foul when he was backing up and called so late was an awful call. Even jacobsen said whats he supposed to do?

Personally, I think many of our fans along with most every other fan base vastly overrated the ability of their individual defenders. In this thread or other posts today alone, the phrase "excellent defender" has been used to describe Richmond, Wusu, Coleman (a freshman, lol), and Dre Davis. If all 4 of those kids are truly elite individual defenders, we shouldn't ever have to worry about scoring the ball and instead focus on beating teams like Iowa does in football (for those who aren't college football fans, Iowa this year has some of the lowest total numbers/spreads each game, and that's been a downward trend, yet they are playing in the Big 10 title game this weekend).

I rarely use "elite" or "excellent" describe an individual defender, and think team defense playing together as a unit is far more important anyway.

Reactions: shu09 and HallGuy23
I hate to say it, but the longer Kadary is here the more it seems he is the square peg for a round hole. Whether we never got the right players to be around him or what, it just seems things don’t click on offense for us. He has great talent and size but he rarely sets the tone as a star or the way a lead guard should. There’s too many holes in his game overall. Unfortunately, I think we’ll be better off without him next year.

I hate to say it, but the longer Kadary is here the more it seems he is the square peg for a round hole. Whether we never got the right players to be around him or what, it just seems things don’t click on offense for us. He has great talent and size but he rarely sets the tone as a star or the way a lead guard should. There’s too many holes in his game overall. Unfortunately, I think we’ll be better off without him next year.
He rushes to much. Last night he got to the rim whenever he wanted.
Needs to let the game come to him and stop the forced shots. He's a good passer when he is in control..

I was at the game last night and while I do not think the defense was elite I do not think it was as bad as being portrayed. Last night the kid Turner hit at least three deep shots well passed the three point line. I don’t blame those shots on the defense. I would let the kid take those shots and take my chances.

As to Bediako he has done a fairly good job of hedging the pick and roll and getting back as I don’t think Doherty or any other big man has killed us this year when he is on the court.

Part of the issue is that neither NgaNga nor any other big has shown that they can play the 5. We need EHE to come back and to develop Tubek.
Our pick and roll defense is 1000 percent better than last year with Samuel.

As great as Samuel is playing this year, he still gets killed on pnr

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT