ADVERTISEMENT

If Willard resigns

boatshu

Junior
Mar 1, 2010
Curious to get the boards thoughts on how the program would be affected should Willard quit?

I was debating this with a friend and he made a point that this would be extremely damning for the school's image because it would speak to how difficult the SHU job is for a coach leave so much money on the table. He mentioned that word within the coaching fraternity would quickly spread.

The other side of the story is that he just doesn't have what it takes at the moment to succeed as a head coach at this level. Seems to me that perception would be more prevalent within the coaching fraternity. And if any prospective coach out there looks at a BE coaching job in a relatively fertile recruiting area that plays their games in a professional arena, with a fan base that has shown that they will support the team as evidenced by our early crowds, and with some of the talent we have returning, then that's probably a coach we shouldn't have any interest in. So long story short I don't agree with your friend's assessment.

Willard will not leave much if any money on the table if he leaves. He realizes this is his LAST huge payday.

The most damning thing for shu is if we have a repeat of this year on and off the court.

Originally posted by boatshu:
Curious to get the boards thoughts on how the program would be affected should Willard quit?

I was debating this with a friend and he made a point that this would be extremely damning for the school's image because it would speak to how difficult the SHU job is for a coach leave so much money on the table. He mentioned that word within the coaching fraternity would quickly spread.
I don't agree with this because I don't think the coaching fraternity is that naive. Willard was given 5 years here, comensated well, and SHU is far different than it was in 2010 when we fired Bobby Gonzalez or in 2006 when we effectively fired Louis Orr.

Maybe coaches have a different perception of Willard? Are we assuming the consensus is he's capable to run a program? Maybe people know he's in over his head?

Willard also inherited some talent from Bobby Gonzalez, even if Gonzo was running a renegade program. Coaches know that. Coaches know he had two teams crumble that were NCAA-worthy.

Willard was allowed to be abysmal for 5 years. That's not typical. We were overly patient with him. Then he got creative, changed his coaching staff, and lured in a top recruiting class. That earned him yet another huge benefit of the doubt and you saw what transpired this season. Coaches know this.

Anyway, and more importantly moving forward, I believe this a better job than it's been since Amaker took over. Any candidate will find that out for himself. They have to do their homework and find out what's going on at Seton Hall now in terms of leadership and commitment to this flagship program. You meet the people, you see what's going on, and so on and so forth. I think it's very positive and reassuring now compared to times past. Just my opinion.

There is an entirely new leadership team from the University President on down. It is a polar opposite from when Willard was hired by Patrick Hobbs in 2010 following the implosion of Gonzo and resignation of Joe Quinlan.

We have received various comments here and there over the years attributed to HS, AAU and college coaches to the simple effect of "hah-hah, we are not afraid of KW". I remember a few nice avuncular words tossed his way five years ago. But find me someone who has written the KW is a Great Coach screed and hung fire with it. That is a waste of google-fu.

There are manifest differences in our facilities and leadership - this places the performance of KW front and center - how did he actually do? His record speaks for itself. The recorded broadcasts - of games - of post-game comments - of articles - of reporter's opinions - all these are in the public, not to be lost, not to be ignored - and they show someone with no fight.

Jumping Jehosaphat, Batman, if we take NO action in the face of all this, that would be damning.

Ultimately, in the final analysis, this is what we're talking about:

2010-11 = 13-17, 7-11
2011-12 = 21-13, 8-10
2012-13 = 15-18, 3-15
2013-14 = 17-17, 6-12
2014-15 = 16-15, 6-12
Total = 82-80, 30-60 and includes losing 39 of 54 conference games in Years 3-5. Outrageous.

I mean, c'mon. I don't care what program it is or what the history is. Let's not complicate the matter. That's unacceptable. Every coach knows this.

Originally posted by Piratz:

2010-11 = 13-17, 7-11
2011-12 = 21-13, 8-10
2012-13 = 15-18, 3-15
2013-14 = 17-17, 6-12
2014-15 = 16-15, 6-12
Total = 82-80, 30-60 and includes losing 39 of 54 conference games in Years 3-5. Outrageous.

I mean, c'mon. I don't care what program it is or what the history is. Let's not complicate the matter. That's unacceptable. Every coach knows this.
If things work out the way they should in the next couple weeks, that collapse in '11-'12 may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

2010-11 = 13-17, 7-11
2011-12 = 21-13, 8-10
2012-13 = 15-18, 3-15
2013-14 = 17-17, 6-12
2014-15 = 16-15, 6-12
These numbers really do speak for themselves. This is abysmal, especially when you consider that the past two years have been in a scaled down Big East that, while still very good, is not quite the hopeless gauntlet it once was. This is not the record of a coach that needs to remain here.

Originally posted by phi_pirates:

If things work out the way they should in the next couple weeks, that collapse in '11-'12 may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
That's the other thing....

Just on face value the lack of success is astounding, but when you start to peel the layers back to understand what was going on here, you find the two collapses (meaning there was talent) and the utter dysfunction 2013-14 that had like a billion one-point losses and suspensions despite a Senior-laden team and talented roster to compete in the new BE.

2011-12 and this year were bad, but I lump last year in with them too. No way that team should've had that much trouble with horrific non-conference home losses and a 6-12 record. That team should've been at least .500 in the BE with players like Gibbs, Sina, Teague, Mobley, Auda, Oliver, etc.

You are your record. Willard needs to stop with the excuses and trying to explain away each years late season collapses.

2010-11 = 13-17, 7-11
2011-12 = 21-13, 8-10
2012-13 = 15-18, 3-15
2013-14 = 17-17, 6-12
2014-15 = 16-15, 6-12

The raw numbers are bad enough, but if you tracked the record by month, I think it will also show that performance consistantly worsens as the year goes on. That strikes me as a huge motivation problem. Team gets weaker rather than stronger mentally as the season goes on.

but, but guys...there were injuries! so many injuries!!!
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Seton Hall MBB actually defies natural laws - we got younger every single year. I'm thinking he is very persuasive about this, and it will help him get immediately hired in a major P5 program.

Look at Willard's record the last 3 years after February 1st. I'm so tired of hearing about the improvement. This is laughable and pathetic.

February 1st thru end of season:

2013: 2-10 (beat South Florida in OT in 1st round of BE tourney)

2014: 5-8 (beat Butler and Nova in 1st and 2nd round of BE tourney)

2015: 1-9

Combined record of 8-27.

Willard is the king of beating up the cream puffs in November and December.

I think the only way Willard would resign is if he truly had some mental breakdown where he could no longer function. He might be feeling a bit fragile right now, but I'd be shocked if he was truly that bad. His best bet is to keep coaching and collect his money until he gets thrown out or is able to win; which ever comes first.

Originally posted by sportsfantatic44:
Look at Willard's record the last 3 years after February 1st. I'm so tired of hearing about the improvement. This is laughable and pathetic.

February 1st thru end of season:

2013: 2-10 (beat South Florida in OT in 1st round of BE tourney)

2014: 5-8 (beat Butler and Nova in 1st and 2nd round of BE tourney)

2015: 1-9

Combined record of 8-27.

Willard is the king of beating up the cream puffs in November and December.
Wow. Team just tunes him out.

Do you know how bad of a coach you have to be to go 8-27? You almost have to try to coach that bad by sheer luck you should win at least 12-15 games

It will be a real joy ride for him if he comes back next year. Oy vey.

This post was edited on 3/18 3:29 PM by kniespolice

coaching is one big fraternity. at the final four a lot of coaches go to the site and its like a convention. talking about their schools looking for jobs etc. Whenever Willard is let go and has to be soon I can only imagine what he will say about SHU. Another reason among many to start fresh. But if the school shows some SHU pride instead of meekly handling this situation I think if we got the right person all will be forgotten and quickly. Even with Lavin making the NCAAS a second time in 4 years and was sick a year they are not happy with him and there is a chance he may be fired. they are still not happy with their brand. Willard or his agent I believe are quietly looking around to test the waters for another job. He does not want to be here. With that in mind along with his recor and a few other things if SHU keeps him we will look like a low level program. We were promised a bright future when the new BIG EAST was formed 2 years ago. And look what our coach and sorry have to include the staff have produced. Nothing. Even NJIT that had a D2 OR D3 program not long ago and a 51 game losing streak and no conference is building a beautiful arena and they even made a post season tourney this year. Think they even won their first game against New Hampshire. So to keep him next year would be the worst move this school could make. How in the world could the players play for someone who doesn't want to be here. And how in the world could he recruit and sell himself or the school. Impossible. This will show by keeping him we are only a little fish in a fairly big pond. We were all so happy FOX TV affiliation with a new start and now the school so far is acting like they are afraid of WILLARD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT