ADVERTISEMENT

IRON used a personal day to watch this game.......... GAME THREAD GO HALL

Day late and a dollar short vs Villanova. What else is new in the Kevin Willard era?

The difference between us and them has always been in between the ears. They recruit smart, disciplined basketball players, we do not. That’s why they win national championships and we’re satisfied being a 10 seed every year.

Day late and a dollar short vs Villanova. What else is new in the Kevin Willard era?

The difference between us and them has always been in between the ears. They recruit smart, disciplined basketball players, we do not. That’s why they win national championships and we’re satisfied being a 10 seed every year.
Also helps when the refs let your coach curse them out to their faces but call a tech on the opposing coach for arguing a missed call.

16-8 7-7 in BE if things go well next week vs L at UC and W vs Depaul, thats NCAA? well see

More turnovers and mistakes, more jumpers vs nova attacking, willsrd T. U can add uo the factors

Also helps when the refs let your coach curse them out to their faces but call a tech on the opposing coach for arguing a missed call.
Weak excuse. The 10 unforced turnovers in the first half had a lot more to do with the outcome of this game than a tech.

This is probably the first game I thought if we had Aiken...would hope he's back against UConn but I'm not expecting anything at this point.

Reactions: LBP43

I don’t post a lot and that was a frustrating loss, I get it, this is a RIDICULOUS post. lol

which BE school has success against Nova? And it’s because they have much better and talented teams than us 99% of the time. Wanna blame Willard for that fine..but to say they recruit smart players which is why they win NC and we don’t is really insane. Get a clue

SHU recruits them, but nova lands them

Reactions: SHUSA
I give the SHU guys all the credit in the world for battling. They just seemed like they could not handle the level of focus and awareness needed in that situation. Villanova gets every ball batted to them, they certainly get away with push offs in tight situation and complete the crushing plays.

I don’t post a lot and that was a frustrating loss, I get it, this is a RIDICULOUS post. lol

which BE school has success against Nova? And it’s because they have much better and talented teams than us 99% of the time. Wanna blame Willard for that fine..but to say they recruit smart players which is why they win NC and we don’t is really insane. Get a clue
We’ve lost over a dozen games to Villanova by less than 6 points since conference realignment. If we cut down just 5 less silly, unforced errors a game we win half of those.

We’ve had multiple teams with sweet 16 talent level over the years (including this one) yet have one tourney win to show for it. What other explanation do you have for that other than we habitually shoot ourselves in the foot year after year?

Reactions: TomD82
Not here. I expected a loss and was pleasantly surprised with how well we played overall.
Come on I don't believe that. Several frustrating plays that somehow ended up to Nova players hands for crushing
baskets. SHU lost in Round 15 of a Heavyweight fight. Yes, we thought they would probably lose, but not like that. Most frustrating game of the year in my opinion.

We’ve lost over a dozen games to Villanova by less than 6 points since conference realignment. If we cut down just 5 less silly, unforced errors a game we win half of those.

We’ve had multiple teams with sweet 16 talent level over the years (including this one) yet have one tourney win to show for it. What other explanation do you have for that other than we habitually shoot ourselves in the foot year after year?
The other teams are better..we have had 3 legit sweet 16 teams, one of those got their season canceled. This is NOT one, debatable with healthy Aiken, losses by less than 6 points? I don’t know even know what that means…that has no bearing on close or not. How many do the other BE teams have?

Most guys on this board have McDermot in the HOF, what’s his record against nova? How many 6 point losses does he have?

My main point is everyone melts down after any loss, it’s clear most have not competed in many things.

it’s hard to win on the road in college basketball period and they are clearly the more talented and better team. This game tipped with them as a 10 point fav

if you think another coach will get nova talent every year than Fire Willard.

I did believe that we could win but Nova plays smart basketball with very little turn overs...that =s a loss most of the time.
Still very proud of our guys, they gave 110% but rather be proud of them for winning.
None the less, we can walk out of there with our heads up.

I did believe that we could win but Nova plays smart basketball with very little turn overs...that =s a loss most of the time.
Still very proud of our guys, they gave 110% but rather be proud of them for winning.
None the less, we can walk out of there with our heads up.
will the NCAA tournament committee care?

The other teams are better..we have had 3 legit sweet 16 teams, one of those got their season canceled. This is NOT one, debatable with healthy Aiken, losses by less than 6 points? I don’t know even know what that means…that has no bearing on close or not. How many do the other BE teams have?

Most guys on this board have McDermot in the HOF, what’s his record against nova? How many 6 point losses does he have?

My main point is everyone melts down after any loss, it’s clear most have not competed in many things.

it’s hard to win on the road in college basketball period and they are clearly the more talented and better team. This game tipped with them as a 10 point fav

if you think another coach will get nova talent every year than Fire Willard.
lol you’re really using the Vegas line to back up your argument.. talk about having absolutely no bearing on anything.

let me spell this out for you since you seem to be struggling with it.

we go toe to toe with Villanova in almost every match up. The reason they usually come out on top is because

A. We shoot oursleves in the foot with numerous careless turnover and they don’t
B. When the game is on the line they remain calm, composed, and execute. We lose our composure and play sloppy, nervous basketball.
C. They make the extra effort plays that win games and we dont. (Think 5 offense rebounds in the last 2 minutes today)

This is the way it’s always been under Willard. The most frustrating part is we could be a perennial second weekend of the tourney team like them if we just learned to pay attention to the little details, but season after season Willard is unable to get them to do it.

Last edited:
The stretch after we took a 52-45 lead also proved fatal. We didn't move the ball and we didn't score for a while.
I didn't think we moved the ball particularly well all game, but I'm used to that.

Positives -
loved how Yetna played today

love that Kevin played Ike less because of Yetna and the matchups.

Of course I loved how we shot the ball from 3 today -- which can be a bit of fools gold with this group, but which we have to do to beat a good team IMO given the offense. Which makes the loss tough because we outshot Nova from 3 and from the field.

Negatives:

More turnovers than assists (again), but I figure that's just going to be how it is most of the time against most teams given the lack of PG and ISO offense.

Richmond is a good player and talent, but as has been stated here repeatedly, here is more of a wing than a PG (at least right now). Second game in a row where for key possessions down the stretch, we repeatedly just let him go ISO or keep the ball via PNR, and again it leads to wild shots and bad outcomes. KW has forgotten more than I'll ever know about basketball, and so without Bryce he clearly believes this is his best option, but when you are actually in the game because of balanced scoring from different guys, it strikes me as odd why you go to NBA-KR-ISO-ball dominance for multiple key possessions at the end.

I expect Nova to make the winning plays down the stretch, because they are Nova. I also expect them to get the benefit of a whistle, because they are smarter, sounder and play under control more than we do. So that stuff doesn't bother me at this point.

Come on I don't believe that. Several frustrating plays that somehow ended up to Nova players hands for crushing
baskets. SHU lost in Round 15 of a Heavyweight fight. Yes, we thought they would probably lose, but not like that. Most frustrating game of the year in my opinion.
I expected a loss too even if I'm the ultimate optimist with this stuff. What's frustrating is that Nova was there for the taking with how well we shot from 3, especially in the first half, where Nova was bad.

On the positive note, I did win a good amount of money with us +9.

We are 3-1 since I resumed posting, but there should be a Nova exception to that : )

Reactions: chickenbox
lol you’re really using the Vegas line to back up your argument.. talk about having absolutely no bearing on anything.

let me spell this out for you since you seem to be struggling with it.

we go toe to toe with Villanova in almost every match up. The reason they usually come out on top is because

A. We shoot oursleves in the foot with numerous careless turnover and they don’t
B. When the game is on the line they remain calm, composed, and execute. We lose our composure and play sloppy, nervous basketball.
C. They make the extra effort plays that win games and we dont. (Think 5 offense rebounds in the last 2 minutes today)

This is the way it’s always been under Willard. The most frustrating part is we could be a perennial second weekend of the tourney team like them if we just learned to pay attention to the little details, but season after season Willard is unable to get them to do it.
Again, standard “sports talk radio” nonsense.

I’ll put it this way: Belichick seemed to me to way better at teaching his teams to “pay attention to the little details” and have his team “remain calm” when he had Brady than the past two seasons. How about Mike Brey, probably 100s of old threads here from when they used to blitz us every game saying: how great his teams played against us and how much better bball IQ they had, etc etc etc. He is under .500 in ACC conference play for his career…why?

Again, if you think another coach can come in here and consistently get Nova talent in here every year, Fire Willard. If not, this is the nature of sports. I know a guy who has scouted for the Knicks, nets and lakers for 30+ years, pretty much nothing but positive remarks about Willard from Xs and Os standpoint any time he’s scouted our kids. I am not a Willard groupie but it gets annoying here the disconnect of the board.

vegas lines are a great barometer (albeit with other tools) to gauge a specific game or season standards. They(odds makers) are very smart at what they do. They had us as a 10 point dog yesterday. That means the talent level isn’t even CLOSE.

I’ll put it this way: Belichick seemed to me to way better at teaching his teams to “pay attention to the little details” and have his team “remain calm” when he had Brady than the past two seasons. How about Mike Brey, probably 100s of old threads here from when they used to blitz us every game saying: how great his teams played against us and how much better bball IQ they had, etc etc etc. He is under .500 in ACC conference play for his career…why?

Again, if you think another coach can come in here and consistently get Nova talent in here every year, Fire Willard. If not, this is the nature of sports. I know a guy who has scouted for the Knicks, nets and lakers for 30+ years, pretty much nothing but positive remarks about Willard from Xs and Os standpoint any time he’s scouted our kids. I am not a Willard groupie but it gets annoying here the disconnect of the board.

vegas lines are a great barometer (albeit with other tools) to gauge a specific game or season standards. They(odds makers) are very smart at what they do. They had us as a 10 point dog yesterday. That means the talent level isn’t even CLOSE.
Not quite true Willaza01 -- Hall was -1 in first Game -- has the talent level dropped 11 points by Guys that are smart at what they do making that statement ? Especially when Hall played 1st game without Ike and Samuel ?
Odds makers want 50-50 bet slips --Guess a ton of Mildcats' bettors over-rated their Team.

The same Vegas odd makers that only had us -1.5 without tyrese & Ike back in January? Talent was pretty even according to them a couple weeks ago.

No one is saying fire Willard, that’s such a lazy argument. The point is we can appreciate what he’s done for the program overall while still acknowledging that his most talented teams always fail to reach their true potential because they lack the attention to detail that all good teams have. (Think the 17-18 team being an 8 seed playing Kansas).

This year’s team is very talented. Kadary and tray are top 100 recruits. Yetna, JR, Ike, Tyrese and of course Aiken when he’s healthy are all very solid players. We were in the top 15 at one point which wasn’t a fluke. And no, this year’s Villanova team is NOT that much better and yesterday was a game that was in our hands and we gave it away, plain and simple.

The same Vegas odd makers that only had us -1.5 without tyrese & Ike back in January? Talent was pretty even according to them a couple weeks ago.

No one is saying fire Willard, that’s such a lazy argument. The point is we can appreciate what he’s done for the program overall while still acknowledging that his most talented teams always fail to reach their true potential because they lack the attention to detail that all good teams have. (Think the 17-18 team being an 8 seed playing Kansas).

This year’s team is very talented. Kadary and tray are top 100 recruits. Yetna, JR, Ike, Tyrese and of course Aiken when he’s healthy are all very solid players. We were in the top 15 at one point which wasn’t a fluke. And no, this year’s Villanova team is NOT that much better and yesterday was a game that was in our hands and we gave it away, plain and simple.
Actually that’s not true at all. First of all we were home…that’s an automatic 3.5 points in college basketball. Also, tells you how Ike and Tyrese do not move the needle however your starting point guard in college basketball actually means quite a bit.

So, Vegas was saying that nova was still 2 points better than us on that date WITH Aiken..not equal talent.

what does being an 8 seed playing Kansas mean? Who was the best player? Not a single NBA player on that team. Very few pros in general.

how many seton hall players would start for Nova over the past 12 years?

Actually that’s not true at all. First of all we were home…that’s an automatic 3.5 points in college basketball. Also, tells you how Ike and Tyrese do not move the needle however your starting point guard in college basketball actually means quite a bit.

So, Vegas was saying that nova was still 2 points better than us on that date WITH Aiken..not equal talent.

what does being an 8 seed playing Kansas mean? Who was the best player? Not a single NBA player on that team. Very few pros in general.

how many seton hall players would start for Nova over the past 12 years?
What does having an nba player even mean? Why does that have any relevance on our inability to play fundamentally sound basketball? What pure talent plays did nova make in the last 2 minutes of yesterday’s game?

If you think the 2017-2018 teams reached it’s full potential being an 8 seed and losing in the second round, you don’t know much about seton hall - or college basketball - in general.

Reactions: TomWall
What does having an nba player even mean? Why does that have any relevance on our inability to play fundamentally sound basketball? What pure talent plays did nova make in the last 2 minutes of yesterday’s game?

If you think the 2017-2018 teams reached it’s full potential being an 8 seed and losing in the second round, you don’t know much about seton hall - or college basketball - in general.
I think you don’t much about college basketball. You didn’t even know how the lines work.

how many pros did that team have on it?

better question how many years has a Willard team finished below their projected standings vs above? Also, how many players have out played their rankings vs under played?

you also never answered the question on how many seton hall players do you think would have started for Nova over the last decade

And you’re ignoring my other point..how have other coaches faired against Nova in the NBE? McDermot is a saint here…what’s his record? Mack? Cooley? Holtman? They must all have an inability to coach “basketball iq”.

your argument is old and tired..just sounds like a standard caller to wFAN.

I think you don’t much about college basketball. You didn’t even know how the lines work.

how many pros did that team have on it?

better question how many years has a Willard team finished below their projected standings vs above? Also, how many players have out played their rankings vs under played?

you also never answered the question on how many seton hall players do you think would have started for Nova over the last decade

And you’re ignoring my other point..how have other coaches faired against Nova in the NBE? McDermot is a saint here…what’s his record? Mack? Cooley? Holtman? They must all have an inability to coach “basketball iq”.

your argument is old and tired..just sounds like a standard caller to wFAN.
Well if we’re playing the “you haven’t answered my question game” tell me, what relevance does having nba players on a roster have to do with playing smart, fundementally sound basketball? What surefire nba players does nova have on their team that caused them to win the turnover battle by a + 6 margin yesterday?

Ed Cooley is 21-2 this season. Greg McDermott has been to a sweet 16, chris Mack has been to multiple elite 8’s. You really want to compare any of them to a guy with a single tournament in 12 seasons?

your excuse that we “don’t have any nba players is old & tired. It has no relevance to why Willard coached teams throw the ball around like they are on a playground, consistently finish in the bottom half of the league in intangibles like assist to turnover ratio & free throw percentage, and again, have only won a single tournament game in over a decade.

You quoted my post calling it ridiculous but have blown nothing but hot air about Vegas lines and what your nba scout “friends” say into the conversation. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomWall and TomD82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT