ADVERTISEMENT

It’s official: Kadary to St. John’s

Again, it’s strictly and only about where he went. Dre was just about as good and most people here were pretty sanguine about his decision to go to Ole Miss, where he’ll effectively be invisible here. But you go to our biggest in-conference rival and give them a discount at that? You’re done here. It’s unforgivable.
I’m agreeing with you. College fans aren’t conditioned for this like pro sports fans are. It’s because of his status as a player. If Sanders transferred back to SJU after we stole him the first time no one would care. If we lost Wusu back to SJU after we took him from there, most here probably wouldn’t care. It’s because of the player involved and college fans not being used to the new normal.

Reactions: hallstorm
We did not poach the ODU guard, Chaunce. He entered the portal. With Kadary, he was contacted long before he entered the portal and bribed into it. I have a prudent suspicion based on plenty of evidence that Slick Rick was one of those poaching suitors, which makes this even more stinky. True to his normal modus operandi, Rick did it his way. The little squirt will get his comeuppance some day.
This concept of “luring” a kid out is all BS. Every single one of these kids is now considering these options before a season is over. Like it or not, Kadary was thinking about in November and December what his options might be and his “advisors” were no doubt speaking to various folks about that. Our staff does the same. Fans just don’t like it, understandably so, because of where he ultimately landed.

I’m agreeing with you. College fans aren’t conditioned for this like pro sports fans are. It’s because of his status as a player. If Sanders transferred back to SJU after we stole him the first time no one would care. If we lost Wusu back to SJU after we took him from there, most here probably wouldn’t care. It’s because of the player involved and college fans not being used to the new normal.

Wusu was forced out by Pitino. He then came here. Nobody forced out General Soreness to the portal.

Wusu was forced out by Pitino. He then came here. Nobody forced General Soreness to the portal.
Wusu was forced out by himself, more likely. And we didn’t have to take him from a “rival” school. But that door had already opened with intra conference transfers, and Sha wanted the kid to help him win games, which is the only standard these coaches operate under. And once that door opened there was no closing it.

This is a business for the kids now. And has always been for the coaches.

This concept of “luring” a kid out is all BS. Every single one of these kids is now considering these options before a season is over. Like it or not, Kadary was thinking about in November and December what his options might be and his “advisors” were no doubt speaking to various folks about that. Our staff does the same. Fans just don’t like it, understandably so, because of where he ultimately landed.
I strongly disagree with you in this case.

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
at this point if I was someone like you I’d go down to Walsh and demand we give the trophy to Indiana state. Remove all history general soreness on campus.

Didn't you already take care of that? You crapped on the team right after we won that night....

Didn't you already take care of that? You crapped on the team right after we won that night....
It’s the NIT. The whole tournament should be crapped on. Think the NIT wasn’t just crapped on by me but also by teams like Oklahoma and guess who SJU who are NCAA or bust

• Sad
Reactions: catholicman
Bunch of jilted lovers here. He gave us a lot in his years here and is now doing a graduate year elsewhere for more money like hundreds of other players.
Interesting point, but no one, thankfully, has suggested he is "a pirate for life" as many chimed in about Davis who only played two years with us. Would Davis be a "pirate for life" (I would never award him that....) if he went to St. John's ... or Rutgers?
Though money was not involved, I don't recall any hue and cry when Sterling Gibbs left for UCONN to pursue his graduate education. True, UCONN was then in the AAC, but it was still UCONN.

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
Interesting point, but no one, thankfully, has suggested he is "a pirate for life" as many chimed in about Davis who only played two years with us. Would Davis be a "pirate for life" (I would never award him that....) if he went to St. John's ... or Rutgers?
Though money was not involved, I don't recall any hue and cry when Sterling Gibbs left for UCONN to pursue his graduate education. True, UCONN was then in the AAC, but it was still UCONN.
the only "Pirate for Life" is the one standing outside Walsh Gym....

This is unfortunate. Losing our star player because we don’t have a billionaire alum. The NIL/Portal environment is making me question my fandom. I’ve given lots of money and spent tons of time rooting for SHU. I have to more seriously think this through if there aren’t significant changes made.
I get it and what you are saying is really the only thing one can do. But it is really not the school's fault. For something like the Giants are you going to pay $10k for a PSL plus outrageous ticket prices in section 112 at Met Life? That is clearly on them and Mara. If because of stuff like PSLs and NIL somebody's interest wanes in a team or a sport who can blame them?

Kadary lives in his own world. SHA learned how to coach that world. Slick Rick does not have a clue. He will brow beat him when he doesn’t move the way Pitino wants and Kadary will go into his cocoon. I really think that SHA was able to bring the best out of him most of the time, but not all of the time. Kadary can score at will. But his head needs to be in the mode where that can happen. As soon as he has a bad game Pitino will throw him under the bus and he will sit out with back pain.
It’s going to be an epic meltdown.

Reactions: Lorbil
Maybe Jim Boeheim called it about Richmond a few years ago.
My recollection is that Boeheim said Richmond lacked work ethic, which seems correct. It was certainly correct at the time. Regardless, the kid became one the best players in college basketball, which renders Boeheim's opinion kind of worthless.

Reactions: Halldan1
Both Dre and Richmond owe some of their money to Sha, he made them into the players they became and allowed them to cash in.
Richmond acknowledged as much in the interview I read. He basically characterized Seton Hall as a feeder program for schools with actual money. Which I'm sure Shaheen loved to read.

He's also from New York. Can't fault him for choosing to play for much bigger pay one borough from home.
For me blaming/understanding him for making the move and my future feeling towards him as a ball player are separate. I understand the reasons and rationalizations for him leaving.

I never rooted for Shelton Jones or Malik Sealy either. They were the enemy. And now he is too.

I dont root for a guy my pro teams trade or who leave as free agents. They are history.

Have a good life. I wish them no ill. I am not a big booer at games. But I will not be clapping when kr is announced in Newark. I will be cheering for Seton Hall players.

Both Dre and Richmond owe some of their money to Sha, he made them into the players they became and allowed them to cash in.
Does Sha owe money to the trainers in the weight room for making his players stronger and making sure they have the right nutrition plans going on?

I get it and what you are saying is really the only thing one can do. But it is really not the school's fault. For something like the Giants are you going to pay $10k for a PSL plus outrageous ticket prices in section 112 at Met Life? That is clearly on them and Mara. If because of stuff like PSLs and NIL somebody's interest wanes in a team or a sport who can blame them?
Tom I bailed on my Giants season tix when they went to the new stadium not because of money but exactly what you wrote above. Best decision I ever made. I'm still a fan because it's a fun professional sport to watch.

It's not the school I'm upset at, it's the system and the general lack of any of the University Presidents to stand up and say this is never gonna work, how do we fix it. Instead the University Presidents either let their ADs handle this or they lobby their legislators to change the laws to benefit their state university (see Virginia) or they tell the NCAA we agree to these rules and then back court cases to upend the rules they agreed to and then they blame the NCAA when it enforces the rules or attempts to. It's the complete lack of leadership at the top I am against. As a fan, I love watching kids develop, watching team chemistry come together and seeing them improve. I enjoy the athletes being part of our University. I'm probably naive but I like it when a kid gets his degree with our school. All that is now out the window until the system changes. Spending tons of time watching one-year free agents who if they play well will end up somewhere else the following year is something I'm not quite sure I feel good about. And I'm as die hard as it gets. It's disheartening and the Richmond transfer to St Johns - while I understand it - is what might break the camels back.

The Athletic has an article on how much are college players really getting paid. Not sure of the accuracy, but further down the article there is a discussion of how players may become employees of the Universities they play for. That might be a way to slow the madness. If that occurs there will still be lots of ways for the big schools to pay the kids their salary and funnel tons of money through NIL to them leaving the SHU's of the world out of the loop. That is where I think things will go.

Hopefully they appreciate that. Not sure Kadary does with him going to St Johns which he knows will hurt the coach that really developed him. Boeheim didn't do it, Willard didn't but Sha did.

Can anyone imagine if Mets like David Cone, Dwight Gooden or Darryl Strawbery signed with the Yankees.
Maybe it's me, but I don't feel that way one bit about professional sports. Maybe because I'm not actually connected or affiliated with any of the pro sports teams I root for. I actually attended Seton Hall; it's connected to my name because I have a degree from there, the ostensible reason to have been there. I chose it and it chose me, and I have that emotional connection to alma mater. If we choose also to connect emotionally with the athletic programs, that relationship comes with many other bargains implied by the culture of loyalty.

Pay for play has introduced a lot of new textures to that fabric, but as I have said many times here, I am totally supportive of a player's right to be paid. My only caveat is that if someone is going to search for quality remuneration, that he not sign with a primary rival of our university's teams. In this case, that's Rutgers and St. John's.

Does he have the right to do so? Of course. It's legal. Is it correct? It is as long as that player is comfortable knifing the people who effectively funded his past season, shanking the coaching staff that actually did unlock his potential, and taking a dump on the doorstep of everything we idealize about Seton Hall basketball. That's the bargain he chose.

Last edited:
Hopefully they appreciate that. Not sure Kadary does with him going to St Johns which he knows will hurt the coach that really developed him. Boeheim didn't do it, Willard didn't but Sha did.
he got better with both Boeheim and Willard too. To say he didn’t just isn’t true. Remember when Aiken went down and Kadary was given the reigns? SJU smoked us turning the ball over like crazy at Walsh. I think if people wanted to rank Kadary's best college game as pirates it's fair to say his sophomore year where he posted up UConn guards all afternoon playing off the ball with Aiken here was one of them, maybe even his best. Then Aiken went down. He looked horrible running the show. We had a late season charge which he was huge part of because he grew tremendously. Then he hurt his hand at Creighton. If he was the same player he was be SJU at Walsh because he didn’t get a lot better we would’ve never made the tournament that year.

People may choose to remember it however they want, but it's hard to have a fact based on conversation and say Kadary was the same player January 15th of 2022 as he was end of February 2022. It was a night and day.

Maybe it's me, but I don't feel that way one bit about professional sports. Maybe because I'm not actually connected or affiliated with any of the pro sports teams I root for. I actually went to Seton Hall; it's connected to my name because I have a degree from there, the ostensible reason to have been there. I chose it and it chose me, and I have that emotional connection to alma mater. If we choose also to connect emotionally with the athletic programs, that relationship comes many other bargains implied by the culture of loyalty.

Pay for play has introduced a lot of new textures to that fabric, but as I have said many times here, I am totally supportive of a player's right to be paid. My only caveat is that if someone is going to search for quality remuneration, that he not sign with a primary rival of our university's teams. In this case, that's Rutgers and St. John's.

Does he have the right to do so? Of course. It's legal. Is it correct? It is as long as that player is comfortable knifing the people who effectively funded his past season, shanking the coaching staff that actually did unlock his potential, and taking a dump on the doorstep of everything we idealize about Seton Hall basketball. That's the bargain he chose.
Well sadly Kadary nor the new players have that connection you speak of. As more and more people realize that professional college sports viewership and season tickets will be on the decline. As I've said a few times on here when the new players hold up the name on the front of the jersey next year, know full well they'll leave that uniform, that campus, their friends in a second.

Maybe Jim Boeheim called it about Richmond a few years ago.
“His shot’s gotta get better, that’s what separates NBA players,” Boeheim said. “He’s got all the skills and physical attributes you need to play in the NBA and I’d like to see that happen for him. He’s a great kid.”

Reactions: chickenbox
You're just not facing reality if you don't think this year's NIT run had a very positive affect on the university.

Reactions: catholicman
You're just not facing reality if you don't think this year's NIT run had a very positive affect on the university.
No ones saying it didn’t have a positive impact. But are season ticket deposits up for next year? Are big time win now players saying I gotta go to seton hall?

I mean if the NIT is as prestigious as it once was teams wouldn’t be dropping out and our coach wouldn’t have given his players the option to opt out. Would Carter from providence had sat out if their game was an NCAA tournament game and not an NIT game. Kudos to our guys for getting up to play, not everyone does but I’m not signing up right now for next years NIT because this years was so great.

Can Slick Rick be charged with Tampering? Check the phone records when he contacted him. Sha was for TT and Seton Hall was penalized.
Hurley has said that there is tampering happening in the big east, but he did not name names. He absolutely did say it happened regarding Corey Floyd Junior and his move to Providence before Cooley left.

I don’t blame Kadary for taking the money as a 5th Year Sr player. I just think at some point there should be boundaries on players moving to different teams in the same conference,
This used to be the rule in the big east. I would be in favor if we went back to it it just makes the conference less cutthroat. Compete hard on the court but let's be friendly rivals off the court.

This used to be the rule in the big east. I would be in favor if we went back to it it just makes the conference less cutthroat. Compete hard on the court but let's be friendly rivals off the court.
I think the conference would prefer to keep talent, both players and coaches, in conference.

Reactions: LBP43
he got better with both Boeheim and Willard too. To say he didn’t just isn’t true. Remember when Aiken went down and Kadary was given the reigns? SJU smoked us turning the ball over like crazy at Walsh. I think if people wanted to rank Kadary's best college game as pirates it's fair to say his sophomore year where he posted up UConn guards all afternoon playing off the ball with Aiken here was one of them, maybe even his best. Then Aiken went down. He looked horrible running the show. We had a late season charge which he was huge part of because he grew tremendously. Then he hurt his hand at Creighton. If he was the same player he was be SJU at Walsh because he didn’t get a lot better we would’ve never made the tournament that year.

People may choose to remember it however they want, but it's hard to have a fact based on conversation and say Kadary was the same player January 15th of 2022 as he was end of February 2022. It was a night and day.
My point was Sha was the only college coach to get Kadary to consistently perform game in and game out vs. any other college coach he has had. Sha was the one who coached him up, made him work harder and helped him see his talent for what it is (for the most part). The numbers bear it out. In his last year, every category was his best with the exception of his 3 PT %. That consistent production is what Sha helped get out of him. Kadary has the talent but Sha pushed him to get to where he is.

Hurley has said that there is tampering happening in the big east, but he did not name names. He absolutely did say it happened regarding Corey Floyd Junior and his move to Providence before Cooley left.
It happens everywhere. I'm sure it happened with Floyd. I'm also sure your guy Kimani has feelers out all season for kids who Uconn might want to make a run at and/or who they think could be a portal potential. Especially Kimani because that's how he made his name in the coaching business as a top flight recruiter. It's all part of the business now.

Granted, just making the NIT isn't anything to celebrate but winning it, along with the national exposure is definitely a plus. I have a customer in Idaho of all places that even commented, "that's one hell of a gym you guys have" when I mentioned that I went to SH.

It happens everywhere. I'm sure it happened with Floyd. I'm also sure your guy Kimani has feelers out all season for kids who Uconn might want to make a run at and/or who they think could be a portal potential. Especially Kimani because that's how he made his name in the coaching business as a top flight recruiter. It's all part of the business now.
I agree, but there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. Hurley was kind of hot about it so I suspect that in his perception the Providence staff crossed the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT