ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry's AP Top 25 and a middle finger to the metrics at 25

It looks like 6 other writers were with him on that vote. Not sure sure if that is truly giving the middle finger. The guys that voted for Indiana State, Wake Forrest and Colorado State did that.

Others receiving votes: Boise State 46, South Florida 27, San Diego State 21, Drake 16, James Madison 14, Texas 14, Florida Atlantic 11, Florida 8, Princeton 7, Nebraska 6, New Mexico 4, McNeese 2, Colorado 2, Indiana State 1, Wake Forest 1, Colorado State 1

I don’t want to be disrespectful to Princeton. But how could they honestly be on anyone’s top 25 ballot.

They do have a gaudy 24-3 record. But looking closer there is no substance at all.

2 wins against non D1 opponents.
20-0 vs Quad 3/4 opponents.

They have split with the other two top teams in the Ivy, losing to both on the road.

Their best win on the season is either @ Duquesne, @ Hofstra, or neutral site Rutgers.

Please tell me how this is a proper middle finger to the metrics when it really isn’t justified by their on the court results of not beating anyone of significance.

And go take a look at the 28-3 record of McNee State. It’s not any different either.

You know what would have been a middle finger…giving the Pirates a vote. Princeton and McNee State both have a better NET than us.

So dont play anybody and win, dont lose and youll be in the tournament. What happened to quad 1/2 wins. Are these teams deserving to be inna field of the best by beating nobody. I love the mid major upsets but middle of the pack P6 schools have beaten better teams than that

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Hard to imagine anything more irrelevant than a top 25 poll a week before the NCAA Tournament starts. It’ll all be settled soon enough.

EDIT: This isn't to diminish the work of thoughtful voters like Jerry who really do put time and consideration into this. It's fun to look at in December and January, but really, at this time of year, it's almost beside the point.

Last edited:
I don’t want to be disrespectful to Princeton. But how could they honestly be on anyone’s top 25 ballot.

They do have a gaudy 24-3 record. But looking closer there is no substance at all.

They have split with the other two top teams in the Ivy, losing to both on the road.

Their best win on the season is either @ Duquesne, @ Hofstra, or neutral site Rutgers.

Please tell me how this is a proper middle finger to the metrics when it really isn’t justified by their on the court results of not beating anyone of significance.

And go take a look at the 28-3 record of McNee State. It’s not any different either.

You know what would have been a middle finger…giving the Pirates a vote. Princeton and McNee State both have a better NET than us.
College basketball doesn’t really emphasize or have an objective format to find the true best teams so what does it matter? He’s a writer who covers college bball and thinks they are one of the best 25 teams…who cares

The metrics are limited in all sports but they are beyond dumb in college basketball because the end game isn’t even remotely constructed to give you the best teams winning

If anyone celebrates this decision, ask yourself what is happening all over the country and think about that week we were the first team outside the top 25.

You really showed them Jerry. The only thing Princeton had going for them was beating Rutgers before everyone knew they were crap. They may sneak up on an underperforming 4 seed, but even that would shock me.

Jerry rarely post anything that he doesn't believe in. He puts as much work and detail in his AP Top 25 as anyone I know.

Far, far more often than not his AP Top 25 is the best in the country as I see it. He always explains his decisions and if you read them they have meat on the bone.

So here, this one time, I forgive him for voting with his heart. Clearly Princeton has a place there with him and what he did was a tribute to a program that is local and has been under evaluated nationally.

I agree with you but nobody wants to see Princeton in a first round game. I live in Princeton during the winter and I’ve seen last year’s team and this year‘s. This year‘s team is better than the one that went to the S16.

I agree with you but nobody wants to see Princeton in a first round game. I live in Princeton during the winter and I’ve seen last year’s team and this year‘s. This year‘s team is better than the one that went to the S16.
And they will rightful get a 12 or 13 seed this year if they win the IVY.

But they aren’t an at large bid if they don’t get the auto qualifier from their conference.

The curse of Jerry’s middle finger? Princeton down double digits late to Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT