ADVERTISEMENT

Jets’ flirtation with controversial Dalvin Cook is wrong and pathetic

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Phil Mushnick

Sophisticated sports town, my tush. Hasn’t been that way since the early 1970s Knicks.

We’re no better than all those college towns that ignore everything about their corrupt schools to annually recruit “student-athletes” who spend more time in court than class.

We’re no better than yahoos in Lincoln, Neb.; Norman, Okla.; Lansing, Mich., or throughout the SEC where police cars carry the latest team yearbooks to identify perps.

In recent days, Jets’ yahoos, especially should-know-better media, not to mention Jets’ ownership and management, have shared a rush of blood to the head to sign now-on-sale departed Vikes’ semi-star RB Dalvin Cook.

Sign him!

Cook has proven that he’s not a fellow discriminate, sophisticated New York fans can suffer, let alone indulge.

During his “student-athlete” days at Florida State, one of several Sunshine State universities that annually recruit, exploit [and now employ] then discard rotten-risk football players in the worsening netherworld of colleges serving as fronts for football and basketball teams, Cook was a consistent reprobate.

Gracelyn-Trimble.jpg

Gracelyn Trimble, left, has filed a lawsuit claiming Jets target Dalvin Cook
assaulted her.

Even in his freshman year, Cook was trouble, from firing a BB gun to bust car windows, to his being an “associate” in an aggravated assault case in which a firearm was allegedly aimed at a neighbor in Cook’s apartment [one of the accusers said he didn’t think the weapon was Cook’s], to the abuse of his three pit bull puppies.

The dogs, ages two months to eight months, were unsheltered and so heavily chained they were unable to move. Two of the pups were found choking.

What a guy!

The next year Cook was charged — later acquitted — with punching a woman outside a Tallahassee bar.

Naturally, none of this prevented Cook from becoming a second-round pick in the 2017 draft.

And as of November 2021, he stands accused in a lawsuit of brutalizing his ex-girlfriend, beating her head bloody and swollen, as seen in photos distributed to the public.

At first, Cook’s lawyer claimed the alleged victim is just a gold digger, that Cook is innocent. Of course he did.

As the Jets pursued Cook, court documents showed that Cook first offered her $800,000 to drop the suit, then $1 million. She rejected both deals. That’s a lot of wood for an innocent man to offer a woman who fabricated the claim instead of defending himself in court for a lot less money.

And it’s a lot of dough for a liar to turn down.

But that hasn’t prevented many Jets’ fans, management and media from banging their drums in support of signing Cook.

Jets’ coach Robert Saleh: “He’s a tremendous young man, tremendous mindset to him and everything he said … turned me into a believer with the words that came out of his mouth.”

And so we sophisticates proceed. We even boo visiting-team pitchers for throwing to first to keep the runner close, as if we just can’t figure that out.

Dalvin Cook’s available? Sign him! He showed up at training camp and was cheered by Jets’ fans in attendance? Sign him!

Who cares if you wouldn’t let him walk your dog?

For more hit link.

Dalvin Cook is a scumbag. I hope the Jets don't sign him. I hope nobody signs him. I don't need Mushnick to explain that.

Not completely sure why Mushnick is getting so much exposure here but I suppose it's because these posts generate comments.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
The guy is a total piece of garbage.

A lot of folks don’t like Mushnick but at least he’s a someone who shines a light on this kind of stuff. The grinning broadcasters on tv for the most part don’t get into the ugly details of an athlete unless they’ve done something so horrible that it make national news.

Dalvin Cook is a scumbag. I hope the Jets don't sign him. I hope nobody signs him. I don't need Mushnick to explain that.

Not completely sure why Mushnick is getting so much exposure here but I suppose it's because these posts generate comments.
If Cook is/was indeed involved in all of those incidents...or even just this most recent one...I don't want him on the Jets. That is a history I was unaware of...but once aware....you can ignore it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT