ADVERTISEMENT

Jevon Thomas

What makes you say this? Hadn't heard of any connection there, but I guess with where they may be picking in the 1st aside from their 1st overall it could be a fit.

These mock draft projections are all over the place. Ellenson going top 5 in a cbssports one yesterday. And

75- where did you see the connection between Isaiah and the Sixers?
A poster I respect has mentioned it. On either this forum or the trove.

It truly is amazing how sad some of the people on this board are. There are multiple reports of a scholarship player chocking an employee of the university and we want to let things play out. I doubt people have an axe to grind with JT, it's obvious he is an issue and should be tossed ASAP.

Basketball players at SHU should be held to a higher standard.

I agree. Zero tolerance for this stuff. There apparently was a significant number of witnesses. That behavior is unacceptable. He should be gone.

Whether they realize it or not, the basketball players/coach are the face of the university. They have an unbelievable amount of exposure which is why it is imperitive they don't do things like choke people in public.

Not worth the trouble. Goodbye.

I'm not interested in handing out scholarships to individuals that can't control themselves during a pick-up basketball game. We're a civic-minded and service-oriented University. We preach values, morals, and ethics. We expect those that represent us to exhibit these and use good judgement.

Our University, our students, and our alums are represented by these athletes. I can't condone this unless his life was in serious jeopardy. I imagine it wasn't, so there isn't much to debate here. I wish him the best, but I don't want him representing me or the institution listed on my degree.

Reactions: Piratefan2009
Yeah transfers usually do play. It's a way for them to get some practice in. Happens all the time
If true, the coach or coaches who allow that should also be dismissed. Risking injury in an intramural game is insane for a scholarship player.

Looking on the bright side, if he's gone it solves the debate on this board as to who starts next season at pg..

I have seen some shit during intramural games. Not condoning it just saying.

As an aside, I was involved in a fist fight and melee playing an intramural flag football game at SHU decades ago. [...] No one thought to make a big deal about it.

What might be different in this case is that he assaulted a referee. Not a player who was physically pushing and fouling him, but an authority that should be immune from ever being touched.

Luther played intramurals.
Jamar Nutter played on SHUttle's team (if I remember correctly) the year he was ineligible and technically not part of the basketball team. He never did anything crazy, but I was always concerned about the injury risk on the old carpet in the fieldhouse.

Also, I heard some things today about this incident. Based on what I heard plus the stuff in the Setonian article, I'm willing to bet he'll get suspended pending a disciplinary hearing. Similar to Mauricio Branwell, it looks like there's a risk of getting kicked out of school.

You're getting a free education at a top university; next year you will be playing major minutes for a top 25 basketball team in a top basketball league; and you assault the ref at an intramural basketball game, a game you're not even playing in!!!! Good bye, good luck, and if anyone asks please don't tell them you were ever a student at Seton Hall.

How many times do we read about the conduct of either a college or professional athlete that leads to them losing their scholarships and being dismissed from school or to a pro ruining his career ala a Johnny Manziel and no school or pro team is immune from it happening to them. It's why I value the character of a player we recruit or the player that's being drafted or acquired by my Giants or Yanks .

Facts to come in? What are you talking about. There are actually eye witnesses saying he choked someone at an intermural bball game. Under what circumstances would that be acceptable behavior?

Remember, this story was reported by a student newspaper. Not a professional outlet. I'm with Frank, let's wait for all the facts before we cast judgement.

“All I saw was the two of them arguing when our opponents were supposed to be taking a free throw,” Washington said. “They continued to argue and then Kevin kind of told him (Thomas) to leave but he wouldn’t. And Kevin didn’t push him but like put his hands on (Thomas’) chest to move him back. And J.T. (Thomas) shoved him (Matthews). That’s when everyone came and separated them. I thought everything was going to be fine then. But a few moments later the dude J.T. was choking him with two hands from behind the backboard too close to the glass by the weight room.”

The above is the account from the witness as written in the Setonian article. The thing that stands out to me that no one has mentioned yet is that "Kevin" put his hands on Thomas first and is thereby the aggressor. I am not in any way condoning Thomas' reaction however, you can see that an argument could be made that he was provoked. Additionally, Thomas was apparently not even playing in the game but was a spectator. Why is "Kevin" even engaging him in conversation? Again, I am not condoning what Thomas did but he is not the only guilty party here. It seems that at a minimum the graduate student worker, Kevin, needs some additional training and Thomas needs to be more aware of the consequences of his actions and reactions.

“All I saw was the two of them arguing when our opponents were supposed to be taking a free throw,” Washington said. “They continued to argue and then Kevin kind of told him (Thomas) to leave but he wouldn’t. And Kevin didn’t push him but like put his hands on (Thomas’) chest to move him back. And J.T. (Thomas) shoved him (Matthews). That’s when everyone came and separated them. I thought everything was going to be fine then. But a few moments later the dude J.T. was choking him with two hands from behind the backboard too close to the glass by the weight room.”

The above is the account from the witness as written in the Setonian article. The thing that stands out to me that no one has mentioned yet is that "Kevin" put his hands on Thomas first and is thereby the aggressor. I am not in any way condoning Thomas' reaction however, you can see that an argument could be made that he was provoked. Additionally, Thomas was apparently not even playing in the game but was a spectator. Why is "Kevin" even engaging him in conversation? Again, I am not condoning what Thomas did but he is not the only guilty party here. It seems that at a minimum the graduate student worker, Kevin, needs some additional training and Thomas needs to be more aware of the consequences of his actions and reactions.

Thomas is nothing more than a savage that attacked a grad student ref with no provocation. The facts are very clear with no gray areas here. There were too many witnesses to corroborate the story. I'm sure lyons and company are doing everything they can to coverup the facts and minimize damage. It's the SHU way. Thomas needs to go. The Setonian gave a very good account.

I agree. Zero tolerance for this stuff. There apparently was a significant number of witnesses. That behavior is unacceptable. He should be gone.
Just try suspension of judgment. All
you know is what you read in a media account. Let the university's version of due process run its course before you shoot him. If it is as reported he will be harshly dealt with. Of that I am very confident. Most of you would make fine members of a kangaroo court.

Again in today's world you can't drop a gum wrapper on the street without 5 different cameras seeing you do it. How is it possible we don't have a camera in the rec center?

I guess we shouldn't let the players play pick up games either. Maybe wrap the players up in bubble wrap so they don't get hurt walking around campus.
Playing in intramurals is risky for one reason. Player figures he can make a name for himself by "outplaying" the varsity guy. Takes a risk that players in pickup games with their peers would never do. Oops, leg injury or whatever. Plus, I'm sure Luther really benefitted by paying in an intramural game against that competition. Please.

I'm sure Luther really benefitted by paying in an intramural game against that competition. Please.

Luther played in a co-ed intramural league in his Freshman year. The Championship game was played as part of Midnight Madness. I recall a cute blond about 5-2 or so standing in the lane preparing to take a charge as Luther came barreling down the lane. Thankfully she dived out of the way at the last second.

TK

Reactions: Joe_T
Thomas is nothing more than a savage that attacked a grad student ref with no provocation. The facts are very clear with no gray areas here. There were too many witnesses to corroborate the story. I'm sure lyons and company are doing everything they can to coverup the facts and minimize damage. It's the SHU way. Thomas needs to go. The Setonian gave a very good account.
First, "pirated" should be banned from this message board. Racism and any denigration of the sort, can't be tolerated. No one, besides racists, refer to people as "savages".

Secondly, the title of this thread is not "Let's all bash Jevon Thomas". The title is "Jevon Thomas", and yet, no one has presented any thoughts on why Jevon has violent outbursts and how he can develop past them.

Jevon hadn't been on my mind, until Wednesday when I was at the Marquette game and read the program that was handed out. In the program, all of the SHU players are listed with 3 questions next to them. Jevon says his favorite movie is "The Sandlot" (a movie I really connected with, so maybe I'm a savage) and that his favorite band is "One Direction" (I thought very odd). Flipping through the program, I eventually got to Angel Delgado, who answered one of the most insightful questions in the whole program... "Who is the funniest person on the team?"...his answer...Jevon Thomas. It was then obvious that Jevon's answer of "One Direction" was just him making fun. The hilarity is that they actually published it. Win for Jevon.

Today, after hearing of his emotional issues, of course I am thinking about him more deeply. I didn't like most of the comments on this board, but calling him a "savage" really touched a nerve. I guess that nerve would be the one connected to caring, concern, empathy, responsibility, fatherhood, community, family...

So I briefly (the 3 minutes between seeing him called a "savage" and myself starting this post) looked up Jevon's background to understand why he's acting out. According to what I've read, he was raised in Queens, his family consisting of his mother and two sisters (no father). After junior high, he never stayed with his family full-time. He went to 3 different high schools- first Our Savior New American High School in Long Island, then at Quality Education Academy in Winston-Salem, N.C., and finally at St. John's Northwest Military Academy in Delafield, Wisconsin. Unfortunately, because he went from school to school to school in order to play basketball, he never had a mentor.

The coaching staff of Seton Hall knows that Jevon has issues. They knew this when they recruited him, and they know now that they haven't been good enough mentors to him. As a coach and a mentor, it is Shaheen's (and Fred's) responsibility to be father-figures. If they don't conquer responsibility, then shame on them. And if Jevon ends up losing his scholarship, then shame on Seton Hall University.

For those that think Seton Hall should just toss Jevon away, please re-align your thinking with the question...What would Elizabeth Ann Seton do?

Last edited:
First, "pirated" should be banned from this message board. Racism and any denigration of the sort, can't be tolerated. No one, besides racists, refer to people as "savages".

Secondly, the title of this thread is not "Let's all bash Jevon Thomas". The title is "Jevon Thomas", and yet, no one has presented any thoughts on why Jevon has violent outbursts and how he can develop past them.

Jevon hadn't been on my mind, until Wednesday when I was at the Marquette game and read the program that was handed out. In the program, all of the SHU players are listed with 3 questions next to them. Jevon says his favorite movie is "The Sandlot" (a movie I really connected with, so maybe I'm a savage) and that his favorite band is "One Direction" (I thought very odd). Flipping through the program, I eventually got to Angel Delgado, who answered one of the most insightful questions in the whole program... "Who is the funniest person on the team?"...his answer...Jevon Thomas. It was then obvious that Jevon's answer of "One Direction" was just him making fun. The hilarity is that they actually published it. Win for Jevon.

Today, after hearing of his emotional issues, of course I am thinking about him more deeply. I didn't like most of the comments on this board, but calling him a "savage" really touched a nerve. I guess that nerve would be the one connected to caring, concern, empathy, responsibility, fatherhood, community, family...

So I briefly (the 3 minutes between seeing him called a "savage" and myself starting this post) looked up Jevon's background to understand why he's acting out. According to what I've read, he was raised in Queens, his family consisting of his mother and two sisters (no father). After junior high, he never stayed with his family full-time. He went to 3 different high schools- first Our Savior New American High School in Long Island, then at Quality Education Academy in Winston-Salem, N.C., and finally at St. John's Northwest Military Academy in Delafield, Wisconsin. Unfortunately, because he went from school to school to school in order to play basketball, he never had a mentor.

The coaching staff of Seton Hall knows that Jevon has issues. They knew this when they recruited him, and they know now that they haven't been good enough mentors to him. As a coach and a mentor, it is Shaheen's (and Fred's) responsibility to be father-figures. If they don't conquer responsibility, then shame on them. And if Jevon ends up losing his scholarship, then shame on Seton Hall University.

For those that think Seton Hall should just toss Jevon away, please re-align your thinking with the question...What would Elizabeth Ann Seton do?
Are you kidding me? In no way shape or form this does not fall on the responsibility of Jevon Thomas? Oh this is because of Shaheen, Fred Hill or Willard. This is because he jumped around to 3 different high schools. This is because of this or that. In no way shape or form should this be on Jevon Thomas. So if he was charged with assault, I am guessing Shaheen and the rest of the staff should be charged too?

And as for the "savage", I guess you can perceive anything anyway you want. As they say perception is reality, except it seems you don't live in reality. Is savage a racist term, honestly never thought it to be and I never thought twice about it. Honestly only time I have heard the term was it being used towards Native Americans.

Now whatever happens to Jevon happens, either way he needs some help with any issues he may have. But this falls on Jevon and Jevon himself.

Just try suspension of judgment. All
you know is what you read in a media account. Let the university's version of due process run its course before you shoot him. If it is as reported he will be harshly dealt with. Of that I am very confident. Most of you would make fine members of a kangaroo

Brooklyn Pirate is a liberal. Trump for president. Get rid of Thomas now...he put his hands around the refs neck and choked the grad student soccer player for making a call he didn't agree with in an intramural basketball game. The kid he choked played soccer for SHU and has contributed to the school in a positive manner.
We got latrell spewell on our hands.

Seton Hall statement on Jevon Thomas:

“The University does not comment on individual student situations. However, any allegation of student misconduct is immediately referred to the Dean of Students Office for investigation and adjudication."

"No one, besides racists, refer to people as "savages".

Come on Brooklyn Pirate, let's get off the politically correct bandwagon and get real. The word savage is used to call someone primative or uncivilized. It has no racist element unless you give it one.

Just as, "If you don't like Obama, you're a racist." Just nonsense. And let's face it, Jevon acted "primitive and uncivilized" when he attacked that ref.

Under no definition anywhere can the use of the word savage be considered racist . It means wild, untamed, uncivilized or fierce or brutal and the attack by JT was an unprovoked act and when you choke someone that's unacceptable, brutal and uncivilized .

Under no definition anywhere can the use of the word savage be considered racist . It means wild, untamed, uncivilized or fierce or brutal and the attack by JT was an unprovoked act and when you choke someone that's unacceptable, brutal and uncivilized .
Let's calm down a little. Unprovoked? We don't know that. We weren't there.

Above it was noted that the other person put his hands on Thomas first. Maybe the response to that was too strong, maybe not.

Sort of depends on what was said and the physically of the initial hands on act.

Bottom line, the police left the scene with no charges filed. They felt it was best to allow the school to dole out whatever punishment is necessary. That and not rushing to judgement without the facts available is the best way to handle the situation.

Are you kidding me? In no way shape or form this does not fall on the responsibility of Jevon Thomas? Oh this is because of Shaheen, Fred Hill or Willard. This is because he jumped around to 3 different high schools. This is because of this or that. In no way shape or form should this be on Jevon Thomas. So if he was charged with assault, I am guessing Shaheen and the rest of the staff should be charged too?

And as for the "savage", I guess you can perceive anything anyway you want. As they say perception is reality, except it seems you don't live in reality. Is savage a racist term, honestly never thought it to be and I never thought twice about it. Honestly only time I have heard the term was it being used towards Native Americans.

Now whatever happens to Jevon happens, either way he needs some help with any issues he may have. But this falls on Jevon and Jevon himself.
I have no idea what the poster who used the word savage meant, but it impacted me like it is gonna hit alot of people...like it hit brooklyn...was cringe worthy to me.

Correct on Jamar. My job was rebound the ball and find Jamar, and I did it splendidly. I also had a friend punch someone during an intramural basketball game, and he was suspended from playing in intramurals for one year. If it's true Jevon wasn't even playing, it makes even less sense. There were comments on the Trove that "it wasn't as bad as initial reports." I'm not sure how you soften up choking someone and dragging them from the courts over to the glass overlooking the weightroom.

A ref putting his hands up is not being aggressive, especially if somebody is physically in your chest and face. If the ref pushed him, I would agree, but putting his hands up in the way described by a witness is a way to get away from an aggressor. I've done it as a ref many times and I've never had an altercation.

Also, I highly doubt the ref engaged him. The last thing intramural refs want is to do anything other than finish the games and get out. It doesn't sound like you've been to a game like this. As a ref, you can say until you're blue in the face that bench players need to stay over here and spectators need to stay over here, but some people won't listen. There aren't established seating and bench areas and in the end, you have to focus on the floor. In my intramural experiences (not recent), the basketball team would watch friends play and would go wherever they pleased during the game. If they got too far and onto the court during a game, a simple, "Hey guys, watch the floor" worked just fine. I highly doubt the ref was engaging Thomas during a free throw. The ref was either on the floor to the left of the shooter or on the baseline by the basket, both places a bench player or spectator shouldn't be.

I agree with the school's statement that Dan posted. There will be an investigation and I don't see any reason for the athletic department to comment further. Keep the focus on the active players and the good they're doing on the court.

Point is we don't know exactly what happened. If the ref simply softly put his hands on Thomas telling him to calm down or something of that sort then Thomas deserves whatever punishment that comes his way.

If the opposite happened and the ref was belligerent in tone and act then Thomas might have had reason for getting physical.

And of course the most likely scenario is somewhere between those two possibilities.

Let the school decide once they accumulate the facts as best they can. For us here to dole out punishment is foolish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT