ADVERTISEMENT

Just spoke to Grant Billmeier

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Grant is very excited about playing the Pirates in the charity exhibition game Oct 28 at NJIT. He is hoping to fill the gym and wants our fans to do their part.

Those that know me here know that I have always been a tremendous fan of Grant's. Since his HS days at St Pat's to his time at SHU and now at NJIT. Few people have ever blead Pirate Blue like Grant has and I hope that our fanbase will honor him by purchasing tickets and helping him fill the beautiful new facility in Newark.

Grant is going to send me a message that he wants me to post to our fanbase. When I receive it I will post it on this thread.

More to come.

20171110NJITWECOpening_0725.JPG

A direct message from Grant to his beloved Seton Hall fanbase.

“I couldn’t be more excited to coach my first game as a head coach against a school that means the world to me and a place that I spent 15 amazing years at. Coach Holloway is an elite coach and it will be a great early season test to see where we’re at as a team. I’m excited to see lifelong Pirates fans in attendance and Highlander fans I’ve yet to meet as well.

This is great game for New Jersey basketball and the proceeds will be going to the mayor of Jersey City and SHU favorite son, Jerry Walker and his Team Walker Inc.“

Three of the most beloved and intense players in school history. Walker, Holloway and Billmeier. We owe them so very much and this is a small way to pay them back while supporting a worthy cause.

More details will soon follow.

When I spoke to Grant I told him I thought $35 was fair for a charity game. He said he thought they would be way less. Said he was hearing $15-$20.

If you can't find a spot in the street there is a parking deck one minute walk from the gym. See map on the bottom of the link.

For now the upper tier is going to be closed. If ticket demand gets to the point that the lower bowl is filled then part or all will be open.

NJIT is not sure how this charity game is going to sell. That's why the ticket price is so low.

Let's do what we can to get the upper deck open and maximize both the experience and the amount of money donated to Jerry Walker's kids. There's no reason we can't fill the gym with SHU fans.

For Sha, for Grant and especially for Jerry.

When I spoke to Grant I told him I thought $35 was fair for a charity game. He said he thought they would be way less. Said he was hearing $15-$20.

If you can't find a spot in the street there is a parking deck one minute walk from the gym. See map on the bottom of the link.

For now the upper tier is going to be closed. If ticket demand gets to the point that the lower bowl is filled then part or all will be open.

NJIT is not sure how this charity game is going to sell. That's why the ticket price is so low.

Let's do what we can to get the upper deck open and maximize both the experience and the amount of money donated to Jerry Walker's kids. There's no reason we can't fill the gym with SHU fans.

For Sha, for Grant and especially for Jerry.
One man's opinion but $35 seems high for an exhibition game. I don't doubt the players and coaches will put in the effort but it's still a glorified practice.

For added context, tickets for the SJU-RU charity exhibition game at Alumni Hall are going for $20 (lower) and $10 (upper) with students getting in for $5.

A related question is what does NJIT normally charge for tickets? It's kind of tough to ask for $35 for an exhibition game -- even one against a Big East team with proceeds going to charity -- if you charge half that for your regular games.

One man's opinion but $35 seems high for an exhibition game. I don't doubt the players and coaches will put in the effort but it's still a glorified practice.

For added context, tickets for the SJU-RU charity exhibition game at Alumni Hall are going for $20 (lower) and $10 (upper) with students getting in for $5.

A related question is what does NJIT normally charge for tickets? It's kind of tough to ask for $35 for an exhibition game -- even one against a Big East team with proceeds going to charity -- if you charge half that for your regular games.
I just went to the site....they are $15 and $20 each

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I knew I would be in the minority with my price. I just feel the cause is a good one and in my case I was willing to spend the extra money. But bottom line, more tickets bought counters less tickets sold at a higher price.

Regardless, let's fill the arena SHU fans. Not sure NJIT will be doing their share.

BTW, I just saw the team in a closed practice and will be posting in detail on the Trove momentarily.

For here I will just say if they stay healthy the Pirates will surprise. Love what I saw.

Any folks planning to attend this one? I am thinking about buying a ticket. It is easy to get to from JC (I don't really feel like driving) on the PATH and light rail.

Does anyone know the parking situation? I will go with my daughter if parking is available close to the events center.

Nice interview with Grant on the second episode of this new Seton Hall podcast from SHU alums Tim Best and Patrick Madden. Grant recounts some great stories from his time as a player and coach at Seton Hall. He also gives a rundown on his NJIT roster. Interesting stuff!

On another note, it's nice to have a podcast dedicated to Seton Hall again. Hope they keep it up.

Just reached out to NJIT's SID to see if there is a link to contribute to the event for those either not attending or want to donate more than the price of the ticket.

I am getting a media pass so a link would be helpful for myself.

If there is I will post it here.

Nice interview with Grant on the second episode of this new Seton Hall podcast from SHU alums Tim Best and Patrick Madden. Grant recounts some great stories from his time as a player and coach at Seton Hall. He also gives a rundown on his NJIT roster. Interesting stuff!

On another note, it's nice to have a podcast dedicated to Seton Hall again. Hope they keep it up.

Available on podcast apps? Could not find it

Just reached out to NJIT's SID to see if there is a link to contribute to the event for those either not attending or want to donate more than the price of the ticket.

I am getting a media pass so a link would be helpful for myself.

If there is I will post it here.
There is not a specific link.

I'll donate by buying a couple of tickets as I have a free media pass.

Available on podcast apps? Could not find it
Unfortunately I don't see it out there either. Tim has a podcast channel (The Igloo with Timmy Ice) but don't see them there get. Hope he uploads the first two episodes and future episodes out there.

Unfortunately I don't see it out there either. Tim has a podcast channel (The Igloo with Timmy Ice) but don't see them there get. Hope he uploads the first two episodes and future episodes out there.
If either reads here—or you talk to them—I’m very unlikely to watch YouTube video, but would listen to podcast FWIW. (Not suggesting I’m the key person here; just that my views may be exemplary of others.)

Serious question....does NJIT have any NIL budget or target?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT