ADVERTISEMENT

let's talk current national landscape/NCAA's

Bobbie Solo

All World
Dec 31, 2003
Bayonne Leave It Alone
alot of intriguing storylines happening/left to be written this week before Selection Sunday. Here's a few:

LOVE that Harvard & Yale have this rare one-game playoff this Saturday. Yeah it's the Ivy, but it's such a cool little thing, and at the Palestra no less! High drama there no matter how you slice it. I imagine SHU fans will be divided 50/50 as usual around here in whether they're rooting for Amaker. I'm going to root for them if only bc they have a much better chance of scoring an upset in the tourney than Yale.

Does Gonzaga somehow get back on the 1 line? They got their revenge against BYU last night in a pretty good game that simply got away from BYU at the end. I don't see it though, people were lookng for an excuse to dump the Zags as a 1 seed and they got it when they lost a few weeks ago. I don't blame them, they haven't lived up to expectations in the tourney for a while now. It's probably better for them to not have the target on them as much as a 1 seed anyway.

On a side note, I would not want to get BYU. They're tough, experienced and can SHOOT (what a surprise). They have been tested a good amount this season, and look worlds better than when I watched them in Maui.

I'm rooting hard for Temple & URI to make some noise in their tourneys so they get off the bubble and get in safely. URI has alot of work to do. Or, do we NOT root for URI so Hurley doesnt get a tourney appearance now, perhaps keeping the better programs from poaching him before we take a crack at him after next season?

Murray State anyone? That OVC final was the most entertaining game I've watched in weeks. Both teams bombing away and hitting. Prohm's teams don't seem to know much about defense, but man can they score. I think they look like a tourney team and I'd put them in over a middling Texas A&M team who hasn't beat anyone either.

I really hope Wisconsin wins out to ensure it is a 1 seed. I do not want to see them have to play kentucky before the Final Four. I think Wisconsin deserves a one seed alongside Kentucky, Virginia & either Duke/Arizona depending how this week shakes out. Certainly won't complain if they give one to Nova though, as it forces ESPN to talk about the Big East more than they want to.

Good summary/ valid points... I am also interested to see how the Big East teams fare this year we need a better showing than last year that was pathetic hopefully 1 of the teams makes a deep run. I like Butler to advance the farthest out of the group.

The bubble landscape will clear up a bit today. Today's the day where some of these bubble teams face a good team, and getting the W will get them in. Miami & Texas seems to be the big focus today.

I was glad Belmont beat Murray State, who was way overrated IMO. Belmont plays the type of team basketball that creates upsets in the tournament. Murray State just gives the ball Cam Payne and let's him dominate lesser players.

Really hope BYU and Davidson get in. Love watching those teams play.

Davidson is the best team in the A10. of course they're in. Dayton VCU & Davidson are locks, and Dayton & Davidson can win a game or two. Davidson especially, with the way they drain3'. VCU is limping in and looks bad (not their fault...injuries happen and have just killed their chemistry). URI, Richmond & GW have a ton of work to do to get in, as they aren't close.

Just checked the brackets. Didn't realize Davidson is a lock. Would love to seem them on the 8/9 line next to Kentucky.

Originally posted by Bud Boomer:

Just checked the brackets. Didn't realize Davidson is a lock. Would love to seem them on the 8/9 line next to Kentucky.
if they had a perfect night from deep, they could win. But everything would have to go right for them bc they are weak inside (who sint compared to kentucky haha). But yes, a team like them, with that style, is the type that could maaaybe slay the giant. McKillop would become a legend.

where do you guys see Providence seed-wise, in light of them torching SJU right now? I love that team, so maybe I'm bias, but I see them as a 4 seed. Butler & Gtown right around the same seed as well.

Originally posted by Bobbie Solo:
where do you guys see Providence seed-wise, in light of them torching SJU right now? I love that team, so maybe I'm bias, but I see them as a 4 seed. Butler & Gtown right around the same seed as well.
The seeding is going to be interesting. You have the 1 and 2 seeds pretty much locked up, but from 3 to 7, it's very fuzzy. Providence, Georgetown, and Butler are all in that fuzzy zone, with Villanova getting a 1 or 2 and St. John's and Xavier getting a 9 to 12 seed.

Solo I was waiting for your thread on this. PC is easily a 6 seed and with a good BET run and could be a 5. Davidson after winning the A10 has to be higher than an 8. I see a 6 for them. SJU will probably be an 8 or 9 after their last two games. Butler gets a 5 or 6.

What do you think about BYU? They are still a bit shaky on the bubble line look at their record v. top 50 RPI. Even though they beat GU and got to the final of the WCCT it is still dicey for them.

Davidson was in tough one today against inferior competition. Worried now about them next week.

I said what I thought about BYU above. They have gotten better through the season, and if they shoot well on a given night, they can beat alot of teams in the tourney. They are experienced, have good size, have a veteran coach who is a winner, and the backing of the Mormon nation! haha. They're gonna be a tough out.

I guess Temple needs to win another one to get off the bubble. Beating Temple just now ain't gonna be enough.

I'd have Miami in after the way they pushed Notre Dame last night. They look like a team that should sneak in. I think they can win games. But I won't blame the committee for leaving them out b/c their #'s aren't good enough and they do have some alarming home losses.

My focus tonight when i get home from MSG will be the Mountain West & PAC-12 tourneys. They've both gone to chalk thus far, and Wyoming could be a bid stealer now that they have Larry Nance Jr back. That kid can doominate games. Yes Boise State is ranked and the #1 seed out there, but do they scare anyone? I could see Wyoming win. Colorado State is fighting for their lives against SDSU too. Their game in Colorado a few weeks ago was fun.

I really want UCLA to lose as i don't think they deserve to be anywher enear the tourney with the season they have. I wouldn't have them even in the bubble convo. I really want to see Arizona/Utah again. Their games have been tough, hardnosed wars so far this season.

Hoping the A10 tourney continues to go to chalk, otherwise going to the semi's tomorrow won't be worth it.

Xavier helped their cause with their BET run. Lunardi has BYU in last 4 in. UCLA lost in the PAC 12 tourney so that should be it for them. I don't think BYU has done enough.

Wisconsin can get a #1 now and Arizona also can since both Duke and UVA lost tonight.

With Duke and Virginia both losing in the ACC Tournament yesterday, the path is cleared for Villanova to earn a #1 seed. Great for the league.

Xavier definitely got themselves safely into the field by beating Butler and Georgetown. I thought they'd be in anyway, but takes any question off the table. Those are two very good, quality wins.

They are now 21-12 overall with an RPI of #30. They've hung up 8 wins against the RPI Top 50 (Georgetown x 3, Butler x 2, Steven F. Austin, at Cincinnati).

I would think St. John's is also in, but maybe one of the last teams. They're 20-11 overall with an RPI of #36 with 5 wins against the Top 50 (Georgetown, sweeps of Providence and Xavier). The won at Syracuse (#68) and defeated St. Mary's (#72) in the non-conference.

The losses to Creighton and DePaul hurt St. John's and I'm sure consecutive blowouts in their past two games didn't help, but I think it'd be a snub if the Red Storm isn't in the field tomorrow.

This post was edited on 3/14 8:45 AM by Piratz

with what happened to duke and uva last night i think there is some serious talking about for the 1s and 2s now. should wisc and arizona be rewarded for winning their conf tournaments and neither duke or uva making the acc final? i know total body of work but with unbalanced conf schedules you have to have baseline numbers to look at like sos and rpi. here is something, if kansas wins the big 12 tournament they would be regular season and postseason champs in the top rpi conf in the country how can you not reward a 1 to them by that qualifier? btw, no doubt about it big east best conf top to bottom, right there with big 12. i also would not be shocked if gonzaga becomes the 2 in kentucky's bracket because of all of this. if nova wins tonight imho they deserve the 2nd number 1 seed

I don't think Zona can get a 1 anymore. Utah going to sh*t at the end of the year hurt them. I think Nova is pretty much a lock for a 1. Even if they lose tonight.

Nova deserves the 1 seed based on their season, but they're still a soft 1 seed ripe for getting picked off the 2nd weekend. I dont think they'll blow it in the round of 32 again this season.

I see the logic in giving Duke the 1 seed over Arizona, but Arizona is firing on all cylinders right now and is not a team I want to play. Their problem has been a lack of scoring this season, and that seems to have disapeared a bit. They can def. make the Final Four.

That Ivy playoff gave me exactly what I was hoping to see. Add another historic moment at the Palestra, and people should watch out for Harvard again. Very curious where they end up seeded. Saunders is a player.

No one is talking about Stephen F. Austin as a bracketbuster. They return most of their team that won that OT thriller last year against UCLA (It was UCLA right?). They're a little weaker, but looked excellent last night in the Southland final. I'd pick them to win another game depending on the match-up.

Arkansas is a pretty good team this year, and just got minced up by Kentucky. Crazy what they're doing this season.

How about Wyoming?!?!? Was really happy to see them take it to SDSU (who I also love), only b/c they were a shoe-in for the tourney before Nance went down with mono. Glad they will take a bid away from some of the middling teams on the bubble. Speaking of which...

I do not want to see those garbage SEC teams anywhere near the bubble, but there they are. Ole Miss and Texas A&M have done jack shit this season in a pisspoor SEC. LSU has done enough to stay in depsite losing to Auburn, but those other two are terrible. I would throw Miami in before them (blowing out Duke in Cameron should carry a ton of weight...no one does that), Temple, URI...shit, even Murray State. I just have no faith in the SEC this season outside of Kentucky & Arkansas.

I see Nova in the top five, but maybe a two. It's hard to take them over Virginia based on UVA's entire body of work. It may not matter, though, if they wind up in the same region. One is #1, the other is #2, and I wouldn't be surprised is neither made it to the Elite Eight.

Knocked out by VCU's performance in the A10. No surprise considering who their coach is. Shaka pretty much schooled McKillop in the semis, which is not an easy thing to do.

THINGS START TO GET INTERESTING TONIGHT!

I like how the 16 seed game is actually compelling for once. I think Manhattan was seeded too low. Maybe they prove that, and then have a little juice when they take on Kentuc....oh nevermind.

Ole Miss/BYU...i dont know what to make of this game. I'm gonna go with BYU b/c they look pretty good right now, and have alot of weapons. That being said, Ole Miss does have a relatively impressive resume, with some solid wins (Cincy neutral, @Oregon, @Arkansas) to go along with their extensive losses. I don't know of any scary players on their team though. That kid with the dreads is good, but BYU's multiple deep threats scare me more.

so, BYU chokejob, great gameplay from Ole Miss in the 2nd half, or a little bit of both?

I thought BYU had a better chance of knocking off a better opponent in the next round b/c of their 3 point shooting, and I still do. I think Ole Miss goes down to Xavier, but it will be close, as they're now playing with confidence.

Ole Miss-Xavier will be interesting. The Rebels' Moody is the best talent on either team. When he is zoned in, a tough cover. Summers is very good as well.

Jim,

BYU looked like they just ran out of gas. An 18 pt lead at HT, but absolutely nothing inside or the abiltiy to rebound. Stainbrook and the XU front court match up against Ole Miss.

Manhattan got screwed being in the play in game, but then didn't show up.

really don't like what the NCAA did to Boise State tonight. They smartly got Sibert into foul trouble and ran with it. Marks is a fantastic player. They were the better team most of that game, but clearly the homecourt advantage helped Dayton down the stretch. Considering Dayton should not have even been anywhere near a play-in game, this was really shitty for Boise State.

Leon Rice & Archie Miller will have their pick of better jobs whenever they decide they want to leave. Both coaches are doing fantastic jobs. Archie Miller seems destined for a big time program like his brother.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT