ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Statement on COVID-19

Starting to think NCAA will cave unfortunately.. StubHub better refund me my money for tickets

Ncaa can make contigency plans by thurs at latest find sites where they will allow games and fans and screw dayton and cleveland

Reactions: mbraue
This is pretty comical. Considering canceling the greatest college sporting even of the year for risk of catching a cold. SMH.

A cold? C’mon have a little respect. People are dying... you don’t die from a cold.
I get it...” it’s just the flu “ well it’s not, but I understand the disappointment of this is the direction they go in.
But can’t say I’m surprised given what everyone is doing

A cold? C’mon have a little respect. People are dying... you don’t die from a cold.
I get it...” it’s just the flu “ well it’s not, but I understand the disappointment of this is the direction they go in.
My issue is what the heck does this have to do with having fans in the building? According to Lunardi we play Hofstra in the first round. Why shouldn't our players be concerned about guarding closely a Hofstra player? Why shouldn't Hofstra players be concerned about guarding us? And I'm sure with a little common sense you can take this beyond sports. Why are NJ Transit, amtrak, and the airlines still operating?

Either you're concerned about their health or you're not. I'm sure the virus isn't discriminating and only spreading by fans.

Last edited:
Actually the elderly and the infirm can die from common colds.
Uhm, this is way more serious. We have a guy from Bergen County who is a healthy 32 yr old man. He sent out a video message stating how fast this virus went to both of his lungs and he certainly had doubts if he was going to make it. The danger about this virus is the long incubation period and how easily it spreads. This may turn out to be much ado a out nothing but what if it isn’t? Perhaps the safe course is the best course. After all, Italy just shut down the entire country.

Uhm, this is way more serious. We have a guy from Bergen County who is a healthy 32 yr old man. He sent out a video message stating how fast this virus went to both of his lungs and he certainly had doubts if he was going to make it. The danger about this virus is the long incubation period and how easily it spreads. This may turn out to be much ado a out nothing but what if it isn’t? Perhaps the safe course is the best course. After all, Italy just shut down the entire country.
Spanish flu 1918 one usa city cancelled activities minimal deaths another city went business as usual big deaths

Did I say it wasn’t?

Spanish Flu. 1918. And the status of healthcare and antibiotics in 1918? A full 10 years before penicillin was invented
I am going to address a story that happened at my first place of professional post college work. There was a mid 20s woman from Canada who was not the brightest bulb. She was telling me she had pain on spots on her back etc etc. She then lifted her shirt and showed me, what she had was shingles. I had chickenpox as a young kid and a very bad case of it. I told her she should tell her lead in the department she has to get treated and leave to see a doctor. Other older office people came across this news of the woman being in the office with shingles and they freaked out because they never got chickenpox and shingles could be debiltating if older adults contract it.

My issue is what the heck does this have to do with having fans in the building? According to Lunardi we play Hofstra in the first round. Why shouldn't our players be concerned about guarding closely a Hofstra player? Why shouldn't Hofstra players be concerned about guarding us? And I'm sure with a little common sense you can take this beyond sports. Why are NJ Transit, amtrak, and the airlines still operating?

Either you're concerned about their health or you're not. I'm sure the virus isn't discriminating and only spreading by fans.

Agreed. No half-measures as Mike Ehrnantraut would say.

From CDC...NON- #fakenews:

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is characterized by mild symptoms including a runny nose, sore throat, cough, and fever. Illness can be more severe for some people and can lead to pneumonia or breathing difficulties.

Those some people are immuno deficient...namely elderly with existing respiratory issues...former and current smokers for example. Don't believe the lying media who's intention is political.

We’ll know more as each day unfolds. The more Americans are treated the better understanding we’ll have.

Agreed. No half-measures as Mike Ehrnantraut would say.

Greatest shows ever.

For those inclined to think this is just like the flu, I'd encourage you to read about what's happening right now in Italy. Absolutely terrifying. Not trying to suggest that panic is the best option, but it's important to be informed. It's no joke.

Reactions: Merge
If you could choose between sitting at home to watch basketball games and keeping your elderly family members/friends/neighbors healthy and alive, or exposing yourself to thousands who potentially have the pneumonia virus which you could unknowingly give to those same family members, I would hope the choice would be easy. It really is not that complicated. If you don't think it's serious, look at the guy in NJ who talked about his horrible symptoms - and he is a young and healthy one!

This disease is wiping out lots of older folks with major death rates. If you have older folks in your life, or are above age 60, this is very dangerous and even for those younger it can kill and/or cause extreme sickness. Take a look at that nursing home in Washington state that got an outbreak. So many of them died so quickly. Even if it might not kill you or make you super sick, think about your family - friends - neighbors - coworkers who might be affected severely.

It is starting to spread all over and containment should be a top priority by stopping any kind of way to spread it rapidly. Imagine a few people with it sick on the PATH or NJ Transit who cough all over a packed train car at rush hour, or perhaps just breathe it out on people because they are asymptomatic but contagious. Now hundreds could be sick. The retirement age folks coming home from work get serious illness and fill up all the hospital beds in Jersey City and Newark within a few days... It could easily spiral way out of control. Better to be safe than sorry, IMO

Spanish Flu. 1918. And the status of healthcare and antibiotics in 1918? A full 10 years before penicillin was invented
Does a virus get taken out by antibiotics?globalization is much greater today so our infected numbers could be even higher. Right now the mortality rate is higher than spanish flu, despite the fact we have penicilin.

Did he smoke? Were there underlying factors. I'm sure you don't know so giving this as an example is not helpful. I'm a strong believer we are too dependent on medication. I have never taken a flu vaccine and have not had the flu since an early teen... and I'm approaching 50. I've been around my kids and others with the flu. The more you expose yourself to the more resistant you become.

To each their own. If you or others choose not to go so be it but don't make that decision for me thank you.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Just want to remind people... 2.5% fatality rate is not insignificant. If, let's say, 40 million people get infected in the US that would mean 1 million would die. That is a very large number.

Reactions: TheBluePirate
Did he smoke? Were there underlying factors. I'm sure you don't know so giving this as an example is not helpful. I'm a strong believer we are too dependent on medication. I have never taken a flu vaccine and have not had the flu since an early teen... and I'm approaching 50. I've been around my kids and others with the flu. The more you expose yourself to the more resistant you become.

To each their own. If you or others choose not to go so be it but don't make that decision for me thank you.
He does not have any of the common risk factors per the multiple articles on the guy and his deteriorating condition. Even if folks without the most serious risk factors get it and need hospitalization, what happens to the tons of folks who DO have the serious risk factors and get super sick and there are no more beds? Not good

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...orse-despite-hospitalization-report-says.html

Just want to remind people... 2.5% fatality rate is not insignificant. If, let's say, 40 million people get infected in the US that would mean 1 million would die. That is a very large number.
No doubt, but should the players, coaches, tv crew, trainers, managers, etc be tested before each game before stepping on the court?

The current mortality rate is based on a lot of factors that may not be replicated in other countries as they were in China. For a respiratory viruses, consider, air pollution, smokers, underlying medical issues, quality of medical care, etc.

Italy also has one of the oldest populations in the world. I think the average age of those who have passed is in the 80s. Also read Italy has 24/100 worst polluted air spaces in Europe.

Just so sad. God Bless them.

Last edited:
The current mortality rate is based on a lot of factors that may not be replicated in other countries as they were in China. For a respiratory viruses, consider, air pollution, smokers, underlying medical issues, etc.
That is true - but remember, right now Italy (a highly developed country) has a mortality rate of 6.2% and now they are in a complete lockdown

Many Americans have those high risk factors, some more common than in other countries I'm sure like obesity. It's anyone's guess how bad it gets here, but we only have so many hospital beds to care for people.

Obviously we shouldn't have mass panic, but it's not something we can take lightly. I'm lucky to be young and healthy but my parents are older, don't want them to even come close to getting this nasty bug.

That is true - but remember, right now Italy (a highly developed country) has a mortality rate of 6.2% and now they are in a complete lockdown

Many Americans have those high risk factors, some more common than in other countries I'm sure like obesity. It's anyone's guess how bad it gets here, but we only have so many hospital beds to care for people.

Obviously we shouldn't have mass panic, but it's not something we can take lightly. I'm lucky to be young and healthy but my parents are older, don't want them to even come close to getting this nasty bug.

There are a huge number of smokers in Italy. They are in the top 50 countries in cigarettes consumption in the world. Considering their size that's craz . USA is at 69...Italy 41.

Reactions: Piratz
It's not 2.5%. Statement by cdc say it's actually between .5 and 1%.
That's just not true for diagnosed cases thus far. Even for those without chronic conditions, it's higher than that. This disease has a significant risk of causing serious illness or death.

"Patients of all ages with no underlying chronic conditions had a fatality rate of 1.4 percent, according to the WHO report. COVID-19 patients with cardiovascular disease had a rate of 13.2 percent; with diabetes, 9.2 percent; with hypertension, 8.4 percent; with chronic respiratory disease, 8 percent; and with cancer, 7.6 percent."

Beyond age and air quality, there’s an odd point that Italy was also the first European country to ban direct flights to/from China.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT