ADVERTISEMENT

New thought on Calipari

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
Not sure he really wants be a head coach much any more but money and prestige is hard to reject.

Not sure that I agree. Cal has done a lot for the players who came through his program. The NBA guys who played for him are loyal to him and not UK. They will support him at Arkansas. Cal has done a lot for the state of Kentucky as a whole. The personal attacks and death threats became overwhelming and it was best to go somewhere appreciated.

Guy has consistently produced quality teams, A level NBA talent, yet won a single national title 20 years ago. My guess would be he still has a burning desire to go win a title and he left Kentucky because this was probably the first time in a long time that fans were calling for his head.

If it was about money, and not winning, he'd have gone to the NBA.

Guy has consistently produced quality teams, A level NBA talent, yet won a single national title 20 years ago. My guess would be he still has a burning desire to go win a title and he left Kentucky because this was probably the first time in a long time that fans were calling for his head.

If it was about money, and not winning, he'd have gone to the NBA.
I don't think he is cut for an NBA season plus postseason...I watched video of his arrival did not have a grin ear to ear

clearly not that great of an in game coach. hes done not that much compared to the amount of talent he's had.

he got a lifetime contract and did nothing ever since . so i sorta agree with first comment

Best for both parties to go separate ways.

Calipari has a new challenge building this from scratch and I’m sure he is excited about the opportunity

clearly not that great of an in game coach. hes done not that much compared to the amount of talent he's had.

he got a lifetime contract and did nothing ever since . so i sorta agree with first comment
His team building method is difficult to pull off under the best of circumstances -- having a team full of freshman (albeit talented ones) win is not easy. The year we beat them, they were a vastly better team in March than they were in December.

It's exponentially more difficult when so many of the top teams have quality older players in the five-year eligibility era.

From his intro at Memphis...

Was a good recovery chance for him early 40s, Kentucky was right place at right time and a way to prove he belonged at elite level...he will be 66 into the season, he has seen in recent history, many others step away. I just don't see him coaching for more than a handful of years.
I agree this is sortve like a retirement job for Cal to end on a high rather than the ruins of Kentucky of the same story repeating and repeating, he wanted a fresh start, we all know he doesnt need any more money, he just wanted a breath of fresh air and with lowered expectations, if Arkansas does ANYTHING in NCAA or near top SEC the narrative becomes he's a very good coach again. Like a Bob Knight at Texas Tech term.

I agree this is sortve like a retirement job for Cal to end on a high rather than the ruins of Kentucky of the same story repeating and repeating, he wanted a fresh start, we all know he doesnt need any more money, he just wanted a breath of fresh air and with lowered expectations, if Arkansas does ANYTHING in NCAA or near top SEC the narrative becomes he's a very good coach again. Like a Bob Knight at Texas Tech term.
Prior to this season's washout, Arkansas was in the Sweet 16 last year and the Elite Eight the two previous seasons. Let's not make it seem like Cal is taking over a program that hasn't made a tournament in years.

I see him as younger more chill version of Pitino. Pitino is more likely, however, to wear people out.

Prior to this season's washout, Arkansas was in the Sweet 16 last year and the Elite Eight the two previous seasons. Let's not make it seem like Cal is taking over a program that hasn't made a tournament in years.
Eric Musclemen can flat out coach.

Pitino likely beginning to realize Queens ain’t never going to be bougie enough for the man of the world he’s become. I think he wanted back to the bluegrass and the horse set and the Private Jet

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT