ADVERTISEMENT

NIT Game Tonight

SPK145

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Iona at Rhode Island.

Seems like Seton Hall fans should be watching this one closely.

In a sure-LOL-hey-holy-crap-man kind of way.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by SPK145:
Iona at Rhode Island.

Seems like Seton Hall fans should be watching this one closely.
You're right. I kind of smirked at this matchup when it was announced, thinking of it as an audition game for us...

should be a good one. I would definitely assume these guys would be in our top 3 targets.

Even though Rhode Island is the favorite, you'd have to think the matchup somewhat favors Iona. Due to the Gaels' style of play, they can be difficult to prepare for with just one day's practice. Hurley will surely use film of the MAAC title game to prep his team. We'll see how Cluess adjusts. Go Gaels!

Originally posted by Piratz:
I'll take either Danny or Cluess immediately.
I don't want any part of Cluess and I think we can do better than Danny. From what I've seen, Danny is a great defensive coach but his offense leaves much to be desired. I think Bobby is a better fit. He plays up tempo and doesn't neglect defense like Cluess does.

I dont agree or disagree and I dont know enough about basketball to argue. However, I think the number 1 thing our new coach should be able to do is recruit. We have had 2 consecutive coaches for almost 10 years where the fundamental problem has been they have no been able to regularly get BE calibar talent.

Think of this how many times in the past 10 years have we had classes signed and lined up during the normal periods with the rest of D-1 every year we are ALWAYS behind. Crazy.
Originally posted by shu09:
I don't want any part of Cluess and I think we can do better than Danny. From what I've seen, Danny is a great defensive coach but his offense leaves much to be desired. I think Bobby is a better fit. He plays up tempo and doesn't neglect defense like Cluess does.

I would be absolutely thrilled to get either Hurley here. I think you're right in that maybe we could lure someone who's had a little more past success, I just happen to 100% believe in the Hurleys both being big time coaches and in Jersey with all of the connections and respect of the family, I just think it'd be a home run for us. I really think it's a momentous blunder to leave them out there. Both are on their way to bigger and better things, I'd just really like that thing to be Seton Hall.

Very good point, williaza01. Hurley brothers should be able to recruit, even though it may alienate some of the local HS folks who aren't fond of the family.

Hurley brothers should be able to recruit, even though it may alienate some of the local HS folks who aren't fond of the family.
I don't know how much sway the high school coaches hold over their star players in New Jersey anymore, anyway. It's all about AAU connections now. But if there is one HS coach who might have some input, it's probably Bob Sr.

Originally posted by HALL28:

I think you're right in that maybe we could lure someone who's had a little more past success,
Like who? Seton Hall is not getting Archie Miller or Ben Howland. Maybe Mike Lonergan but the Hurleys seem like a natural fit.

Originally posted by Hall91:
should be a good one. I would definitely assume these guys would be in our top 3 targets.
Top 3? Who's the 3rd?

I can't imagine going back to the Iona well again. IDK much about Cluess but almost think you have to cross him off the list based on principle.

Danny Hurley is the guy I've wanted for a while now. Conflicting opinions on whether or not he'd be interested, but just makes sense to me for a lot of reasons. Of course, we still have a HC....

Cluess still feels kind of gimmicky to me. Hard to ignore his track record though. Danny Hurley is about as close to a no-brainer as it gets for a school like Seton Hall. He's turned around two college programs now (and he also built St. Bens into a state HS power). What he's done at Rhode Island is damned impressive, particularly considering the quality of that league. I realize Danny hasn't made the tournament yet, but I think that's mainly due to the fact that he took on a second rebuilding job rather than stay the course at Wagner. Biggest concern for me is his offense. It is very similar to Willard's offense. Painful to watch and horribly inefficient.

Lonegan would be great. So would Hurley of course, although it's a bit early since he hasn't made an NCAA yet. Can't keep picking from the Iona tree. Mooney wouldn't be the end of the world either. Agree about not being able to touch Archie Miller. I still firmly like the idea of Ben Howland despite all the negatives thrown about on here.

Literally any coach available would be better than Willard, so any candidates we might look at have that in their corner too.

Very good point, williaza01. Hurley brothers should be able to recruit, even though it may alienate some of the local HS folks who aren't fond of the family.
How many NJ guys have come to The Hall the last handful of years (without a transfer involved). Someone who can could consistently get any solid kids from NJ would be an imporvement. Only guy on the roster from NJ who didn't transfer in is Ish.

Originally posted by Bud Boomer:
It is very similar to Willard's offense. Painful to watch and horribly inefficient.
That's what I'm wary of, Bud Boomer. The efficiency numbers don't paint a pretty picture. Defense? He appears to be outstanding in that regard.

Take a look at Bobby's offense over at Buffalo. Only two years so not a large sample size, but it's night and day compared with Danny's. That's interesting to me. More efficient and more up-tempo despite not shooting it all that well. Lots of offensive rebounds.

Steve, thanks for pointing that out. You are good for something after all!! But there's only one coach in that game I'd want at Seton Hall.

That's what I'm wary of, Bud Boomer. The efficiency numbers don't paint a pretty picture. Defense? He appears to be outstanding in that regard.

Take a look at Bobby's offense over at Buffalo. Only two years so not a large sample size, but it's night and day compared with Danny's. That's interesting to me. More efficient and more up-tempo despite not shooting it all that well. Lots of offensive rebounds.
Danny's Rhode Island team made a major jump in defensive efficiency this year after being terrible in years past. Offensive efficiency has been pretty bad all years there for him.

Bobby's Buffalo offensive efficiency has been very good both years but the defensive efficiency numbers aren't that good.

Just curious, what if there were two head coaches on one team, if the brothers were cool with it and we paid them the same coach salary that would get them to us and took away one assistant postion, would that be illegal or against some ncaa policy.

Just thinking outside the box with some innovative ideas for the Hall, Danny leading the d, bobby leading the O.

Originally posted by HallBall02:
Just curious, what if there were two head coaches on one team, if the brothers were cool with it and we paid them the same coach salary that would get them to us and took away one assistant postion, would that be illegal or against some ncaa policy.

Just thinking outside the box with some innovative ideas for the Hall, Danny leading the d, bobby leading the O.
And while we're at it let's go with two managers of the Yankee's, two HC's for the Giants, two President's of the U.S.......

One main problem with Willard is that he does not take charge and that he is not a leader. With 2 head coaches it gives them only half of the power. It can't work and should not even be considered. Not to mention we don't have $ for one head coach and you want to pay 2. They will not work for 1/2 price. Nice thinking outside the box but it just won't work.

I think you're right in that maybe we could lure someone who's had a little more past success,
Like who? Seton Hall is not getting Archie Miller or Ben Howland. Maybe Mike Lonergan but the Hurleys seem like a natural fit.
Not arguing that the Hurleys would be the clear 1 and 1a options and the decision right now is so obvious it hurts.

Haha, thanks hall85. Not sure if it's as outrageous as you think it is but ok. I think maybe if hall fans stop thinking small maybe big things can happen. Pay each guy 800k with 2 asst getting 300k might work again if they were cool with it. Be the first team to do it, create a positive buzz and dominate nj recruiting.

This is not a knock on either Hurley or Cleuss but could we just once conduct a legitimate search and cast the widest net before we annoit anyone as our next coach.

Originally posted by HALL85:

And while we're at it let's go with two managers of the Yankee's, two HC's for the Giants, two President's of the U.S.......
Not the same thing, but don't the Yankees have two hitting coaches this year? Thought I heard that. A lot of people question the value of hitting coaches in general, especially with a team full of veterans, but two?

Give me Danny. I want to see Seton Hall play defense again, It has been years!

Haha, thanks hall85. Not sure if it's as outrageous as you think it is but ok. I think maybe if hall fans stop thinking small maybe big things can happen. Pay each guy 800k with 2 asst getting 300k might work again if they were cool with it. Be the first team to do it, create a positive buzz and dominate nj recruiting.
Not knocking thinking outside the box, but why would any HC want to be a "co" head coach, get half the $ and have half the power. Makes zero sense. Both Hurley brothers are on a path to become HC's at some top tier conference, whether it be BE or a BCS school. This isn't an 8 year old boys team where 2-3 guys share coaching duties.

Not going this route certainly isn't "thinking small". If anyone thought this had the remotest chance of working, don't you think some school with a ton of resources ($) would have done it?

Buffalo actually plays similar to Iona. Their MAC Championship game against Central Michigan (and Keno Davis) was entertaining. Lots of points scored and not much defense on either side. I'm okay with that. In the case of Seton Hall, the offense and the defense both stink. At least Bobby Hurley or Cluess would bring one of them to the table.

I really can't argue the Hurleys[even though I doubt Danny would return], but I will tout Bruiser Flint from Drexel, or Shaheen

Interesting. I wouldn't be at all disappointed with Bobby. This roster is kind of built for a coach that relentlessly pushes tempo and attacks the glass.

Originally posted by SHUPirate08:
Who is the Northern Iowa coach? Talk about passing and fundamentals!
Ben Jacobson. A fine coach with a possible future in the Big 10. He's from North Dakota, and won't be coming to Seton Hall. If he did, people on this board would be complaining that he didn't have local connections.

Danny's Rhode Island team made a major jump in defensive efficiency this year after being terrible in years past. Offensive efficiency has been pretty bad all years there for him.

Bobby's Buffalo offensive efficiency has been very good both years but the defensive efficiency numbers aren't that good.
SPK, Danny has had 3 good years of defensive efficiency. Definitely took a big jump this year, but I'd take his numbers last year at URI and his last year at Wagner and consider them pretty good. Certainly better than what we have now. His offensive numbers do scare me.

Jacobson at UNI is fantastic, so is Prohm at Murray St, McKillop at Davidson, Byrd at Belmont, Dambrot at Akron ... would take any of those guys over Willard in a second, but either Hurley still the top realistic choice.

shu09,

I look at conference games only, what I think is the true measure.

Watching the games tonight, personally I just hate the way Iona plays. Rhode Island has some discipline. GW plays a very good brand of basketball.

Personally, I would be happy with Danny Hurley. But, I also see a guy like McKillop come here for a couple of years with Adrian Griffin as coach in waiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT