ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino to Louisville?

Will the son rebuild the program that his father destroyed? Why would Louisville want him?

Destroyed, lol. Took over a program that hadn't been to a final 4 since the 1980s and got to a bunch of them, winning a title, living in the second weekend of the dance or more on an annual basis, numerous Elite 8s and Sweet 16s. Brought them back to blue blood status. I would love for our program to go through a period when we are so destroyed.

Louisville's last two head coaching hires are why that program has lost its luster. Chris Mack stepped into a blue blood machine and recruited at an incredibly high-level from the jump, but failed to capitalize and flamed out. And Kenny Payne was a disaster.

Pitino Junior is underwhelming based on the resume IMO. 2 dances in 8 years at Minn. Did a good job this year with New Mexico though and I'm sure wants to capitalize on that before they get pillaged in the portal. He's young too. But I don't think he's the right guy to rebuild Ville.

Destroyed, lol. Took over a program that hadn't been to a final 4 since the 1980s and got to a bunch of them, winning a title, living in the second weekend of the dance or more on an annual basis, numerous Elite 8s and Sweet 16s. Brought them back to blue blood status. I would love for our program to go through a period when we are so destroyed.

Louisville's last two head coaching hires are why that program has lost its luster. Chris Mack stepped into a blue blood machine and recruited at an incredibly high-level from the jump, but failed to capitalize and flamed out. And Kenny Payne was a disaster.

Pitino Junior is underwhelming based on the resume IMO. 2 dances in 8 years at Minn. Did a good job this year with New Mexico though and I'm sure wants to capitalize on that before they get pillaged in the portal. He's young too. But I don't think he's the right guy to rebuild Ville.

Louisville is still thought of as a great job because of what Rick Pitino did as you outlined. I happen to think it's one of the more overrated jobs in college hoops this day and age, but the notion that Rick Pitino "destroyed" it is complete lunacy.

Speaking of Mack, surprised he hasn't found another job yet. He's a great coach just didn't work out in Louisville

Reactions: LBP43
Speaking of Mack, surprised he hasn't found another job yet. He's a great coach just didn't work out in Louisville
He was interviewed on a podcast last year and at that point he said he wasn’t ready yet. Was enjoying the time with his family before he got back into coaching. He did say he was going to take some time off so I’m assuming at this point he’s waiting for the right job.

Is Louisville’s admin just totally incompetent? No one wants the job? Its a very good program in a dark chapter but it feels like there’s more backstory on why a lot of coaches don’t wanna touch that gig right now

Is Louisville’s admin just totally incompetent? No one wants the job? Its a very good program in a dark chapter but it feels like there’s more backstory on why a lot of coaches don’t wanna touch that gig right now
Optics could display like this if they have an agreement with a coach who’s team is still playing

Destroyed, lol. Took over a program that hadn't been to a final 4 since the 1980s and got to a bunch of them, winning a title, living in the second weekend of the dance or more on an annual basis, numerous Elite 8s and Sweet
Revisionist history. Yes, Rick built a great program at Louisville aided by illegal recruiting practices. It's a fact that the program was in shambles when he was fired, Rick claiming that he had no clue what was going on. Anyone who believes that Rick was the innocent victim is ignoring common sense.

The program was in shambles when Rick left and has yet been able to recover.

Revisionist history. Yes, Rick built a great program at Louisville aided by illegal recruiting practices. It's a fact that the program was in shambles when he was fired, Rick claiming that he had no clue what was going on. Anyone who believes that Rick was the innocent victim is ignoring common sense.

The program was in shambles when Rick left and has yet been able to recover.

But it wasn't in shambles. He took a program that hadn't been to a Final 4 in decades and turned it into a national powerhouse. Chris Mack stepped into a goldmine. Look at how he recruited from the jump. The program reverted back to the pre-Pitino, post-Denny Crum "peak" era because Mack turned out to be a bad hire (and had a scandal of his own) and Kenny Payne was as bad as you can be.

Pitino is not saint, to say the least. His transgressions are well-publicized. And yes I believe every head coach knows what is going on with their program. That includes Kevin Willard, when our current head coach was undertaking illegal recruiting activities to get players and got a Show Cause Order because of it.

Here is what I know -- if Pitino was coaching Seton Hall, you wouldn't have this view. Just like if ISIS agreed to contribute to our NIL tomorrow, they would be called "misunderstood" and analogized as Greenpeace or the Red Cross.

But it wasn't in shambles. He took a program that hadn't been to a Final 4 in decades and turned it into a national powerhouse. Chris Mack stepped into a goldmine. Look at how he recruited from the jump. The program reverted back to the pre-Pitino, post-Denny Crum "peak" era because Mack turned out to be a bad hire (and had a scandal of his own) and Kenny Payne was as bad as you can be.

Pitino is not saint, to say the least. His transgressions are well-publicized. And yes I believe every head coach knows what is going on with their program. That includes Kevin Willard, when our current head coach was undertaking illegal recruiting activities to get players and got a Show Cause Order because of it.

Here is what I know -- if Pitino was coaching Seton Hall, you wouldn't have this view. Just like if ISIS agreed to contribute to our NIL tomorrow, they would be called "misunderstood" and analogized as Greenpeace or the Red Cross.
Pitino si
ISIS no
Oh come one now

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT