ADVERTISEMENT

Posh

HALL85

All Universe
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Returns to Carneseca tonight with Butler. Entertaining start.

He is a major reason butler is by far the most improved team in the big east
They move the ball very well..

Posh had a typical Posh game based on the box score. Even one of his vintage hustle/relentless steal plays fans love - which I happened to see when I turned it on -- although from the box score that was his only one.

Posh Alexander gets warm reception in St. John’s return with Butler: ‘Still have love’​

By Zach Braziller

Posh Alexander wasn’t sure what kind of reception he would receive during his return to Queens.

After three years as St. John’s point guard, he came back as the opposition looking to beat the home team.

The Red Storm fans gave him a pleasant surprise, honoring Alexander with a loud ovation during pregame introductions.

“It felt good, just knowing that I still have love around here and just playing in Carnesecca for one last time,” Alexander said after he and Butler fell to his old team, 86-70, Tuesday night. “When they did the starting five and they all cheered for me, that’s love right there.”

Alexander started well, scoring 11 first-half points.

But he went scoreless after the break, and St. John’s pulled away for an easy victory.

Despite the loss, Alexander is having a strong senior season at Butler, rebounding from a shaky year last winter.

He has helped the Bulldogs get off to a strong start, winning 10 of their first 14 games.

At Butler, Alexander is surrounded by shooters, giving him the space to penetrate and create opportunities for his teammates.

He’s averaging 10.7 points, 5.2 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.1 steals this season.

When Mike Anderson was fired and Rick Pitino was hired last March, it wasn’t out of the question that Alexander would return.

Pitino was open to keeping him.

But both sides eventually agreed they would be better going their separate ways.

Alexander didn’t want to look back at what might have been.

“I didn’t have any bad intentions or bad blood. I just left because I wanted a change of scenery,” he said. “I wanted to take my talents to Butler. Rick Pitino is a great guy, great coach. … It was nothing personal.

“I just played the game like any other game.”

There weren’t many familiar faces on the St. John’s sidelines for Alexander.

Only two players from last year’s team, Joel Soriano and Drissa Traore, are still on the team, although assistant coach Van Macon remains.

At the horn, Alexander and Soriano shared a few friendly words.

He wished the star center his best.

“I’ll always have love for all the boys that were at St. John’s with me last year,” Alexander said. “I know Jordan [Dingle], I know a couple of people on the team. I got love for all of them. I just want to wish them nothing but the best going forward.”

Posh disappeared in 2nd half -- both on O and D
Agree. Posh got ragged in the 2nd half, had a couple TOs that really ignited SJ second half run. Posh went to the bench. I turned off the game at that point. Not sure how much he played when the game was out of reach.

A lot (maybe all?) of the players Mike Anderson coached have these stretches of crazy reckless play, even now removed. They go way too fast.

Reactions: Section112
I had a hard time getting into the game. Posh was good then he was gone. Neither team looked like we couldn't beat them to me if we can get the right team to show up.

A lot (maybe all?) of the players Mike Anderson coached have these stretches of crazy reckless play, even now removed. They go way too fast.
Part of that is how Anderson coached and how his teams played. Part is the players, although it does not apply to all (the Champagne kid is in the league). And David Jones seems to be flourishing at Memphis this season, where Penny seems to "get out of the way" and let kids play freely.

Reactions: Piratz
Posh giveth and taketh away. He's kind of a maddening player. He made a nice steal and then turned it over right away which is indicative of his play. He would not have added anything to our team this year IMO. So far comparing him to Wusu is a push. If we took both of them we'd be in trouble though. Hoping Wusu can get that outside shot going and then it becomes a solid transfer for us.

I watched the game and the Johnnies have a lot of talent. If Pitino can get them to improve their play they could be a real problem as the season continues. And in that sweaty bandbox, St Johns always gets most of the calls from the refs and last night was no exception. The Davis kid on Butler is terrific too and fun to watch - very good basketball player with a seriously good outside shot.

Posh giveth and taketh away. He's kind of a maddening player. He made a nice steal and then turned it over right away which is indicative of his play. He would not have added anything to our team this year IMO. So far comparing him to Wusu is a push. If we took both of them we'd be in trouble though. Hoping Wusu can get that outside shot going and then it becomes a solid transfer for us.

I watched the game and the Johnnies have a lot of talent. If Pitino can get them to improve their play they could be a real problem as the season continues. And in that sweaty bandbox, St Johns always gets most of the calls from the refs and last night was no exception. The Davis kid on Butler is terrific too and fun to watch - very good basketball player with a seriously good outside shot.
I was out but was able to see a bit of the game. I did take note that Posh did a nice job of grabbing an offensive rebound early in the second half but then immediately turned it over and committed a foul.

I always liked him as a player for the most part. He does a lot of good things. But he can be maddeningly inconsistent at times.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT