ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Big East review by Connecticut sports writer

CL82

All Big East
Oct 31, 2002
So, for any of you who are triggered by seeing the words "Connecticut", "UConn", "Huskies" or my personal favorite "national champions", this thread might not be the thread for you given that the link to the article is written by a Connecticut sports writer. Don't feel obligated to post "OMG! I'm so tired about hearing about Connecticut" just skip the thread, there's plenty of other things to read.

For everyone else, Dave Borges, a Connecticut sports writer, wrote up a very early preseason view of the league. Yes, there is Connecticut content in there but there's plenty of other stuff including a relatively brief mention of Seton Hall. The attached article is copied in a format that will allow you not to have to bother with registering or pay walls.

Link

"This league," Creighton coach Greg McDermott promised, "will be loaded."

The Big East should have three teams ranked in the preseason top-15 (Marquette, UConn, Creighton). The league could easily match or even top seven NCAA tourney bids, the most it’s had so far since the “new Big East” took shape.

Some of the best big men in the country (Creighton’s Ryan Kalkbrenner, UConn’s Donovan Clingan, St. John’s Joel Soriano) reside in the league. And, of course, some of the best coaches.

Not bad for a league left for dead a little over a decade ago, when the Catholic 7 broke away, Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers & Co. scattered to Power Five leagues and UConn was left in the AAC.

“Requiem for the Big East?” Hardly.

Seton Hall: Pirates are a real enigma. There’s talent in Al-Amir Dawes, Husky-killer Kadary Richmond and Dre Davis. The defense should be stout again, and Shaheen Holloway certainly proved his coaching chops two years ago at Saint Peter’s. But there’s not a lot of offensive firepower here. Dylan Addae-Wusu, an interconference transfer from St. John’s, is an intriguing addition.

Last edited:
Thanks. I thought it was a pretty good article with quotes from several coaches and a solid discussion of various roster development pros and cons (although the writer when discussing Nova didn’t give enough love to a healthy Justin Moore and what that might mean, but maybe I’m too high in him). And it was a Uconn homer-piece either.

Reactions: CL82
So, for any of you who are triggered by seeing the words "Connecticut", "UConn", "Huskies" or my personal favorite "national champions", this thread might not be the thread for you given that the link to the article is written by a Connecticut sports writer. Don't feel obligated to post "OMG! I'm so tired about hearing about Connecticut" just skip the thread, there's plenty of other things to read.

For everyone else, Dave Borges, a Connecticut sports writer, wrote up a very early preseason view of the league. Yes, there is Connecticut content in there but there's plenty of other stuff including a relatively brief mention of Seton Hall. The attached article is copied in a format that will allow you not to have to bother with registering or pay walls.

Link

"This league," Creighton coach Greg McDermott promised, "will be loaded."

The Big East should have three teams ranked in the preseason top-15 (Marquette, UConn, Creighton). The league could easily match or even top seven NCAA tourney bids, the most it’s had so far since the “new Big East” took shape.

Some of the best big men in the country (Creighton’s Ryan Kalkbrenner, UConn’s Donovan Clingan, St. John’s Joel Soriano) reside in the league. And, of course, some of the best coaches.

Not bad for a league left for dead a little over a decade ago, when the Catholic 7 broke away, Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers & Co. scattered to Power Five leagues and UConn was left in the AAC.

“Requiem for the Big East?” Hardly.

Seton Hall: Pirates are a real enigma. There’s talent in Al-Amir Dawes, Husky-killer Kadary Richmond and Dre Davis. The defense should be stout again, and Shaheen Holloway certainly proved his coaching chops two years ago at Saint Peter’s. But there’s not a lot of offensive firepower here. Dylan Addae-Wusu, an interconference transfer from St. John’s, is an intriguing addition.
Yes we are all thrilled that a Seton Hall alumni could lead you to that Championship.

Yes we are all thrilled that a Seton Hall alumni could lead you to that Championship.
We are thrilled to have him lead us. People talk about how the big east helped fuel this most recent Connecticut resurgence, and they're not wrong, it definitely did. But the biggest thing, by far, has been Dan Hurley. It's insane the amount of work he puts in, and you can definitely see him growing as a coach.

So thank you!

@CL82 do you have a connection to seton hall? I always appreciate an outside perspective so thanks for coming around. I assume you don’t spend this amount of time on all the BigEast school forums. You spend more time on piratecrew than most pirate fans.

@CL82 do you have a connection to seton hall? I always appreciate an outside perspective so thanks for coming around. I assume you don’t spend this amount of time on all the BigEast school forums. You spend more time on piratecrew than most pirate fans.
Nope, when Connecticut moved back to the big east I want to get perspective from other big east teams. Being a jersey guy, Seton was the natural choice for me. Now I've come to like this board. For the most part, it has decent guys with a different perspective than my own.

CL82 you're a good person, your school needs 2 let go of football though, it will never work.

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT