ADVERTISEMENT

Providence Game

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Big opportunity Wednesday night and with an early tip at 6:30PM. Neither team has played since December 23rd, wonder what impact that'll have. Interesting Providence gets 3 consecutive home games to start the BE season.

The Friars are great defensively (7th in DE%, 6th in 2PT%) and rely heavily on the 3PT shot (49th 3PA:FGA): 63% of their shots against Marquette were 3PA's, 50% against Butler. So a team that defends the paint well and can be a prolific 3PT shooting offense seems like it could be a nightmare for Seton Hall.

Big opportunity Wednesday night and with an early tip at 6:30PM. Neither team has played since December 23rd, wonder what impact that'll have. Interesting Providence gets 3 consecutive home games to start the BE season.

The Friars are great defensively (7th in DE%, 6th in 2PT%) and rely heavily on the 3PT shot (49th 3PA:FGA): 63% of their shots against Marquette were 3PA's, 50% against Butler. So a team that defends the paint well and can be a prolific 3PT shooting offense seems like it could be a nightmare for Seton Hall.
Well, on a positive note, we will have an opportunity against 4 ranked teams that we meet twice, with a win against one already under the belt.

If we play the way we played against UConn, we can definitely steal a few games from these 4.

If not, we will be challenged by EVERY team in the league.

Hoping Tubek's practicing with the team means he can start seeing some game time. Another athletic BE body is so important to the bench and team.

Well, on a positive note, we will have an opportunity against 4 ranked teams that we meet twice, with a win against one already under the belt.

If we play the way we played against UConn, we can definitely steal a few games from these 4.

If not, we will be challenged by EVERY team in the league.

Hoping Tubek's practicing with the team means he can start seeing some game time. Another athletic BE body is so important to the bench and team.
Idk if Tubek can play and Sha seems reluctant to play the inexperienced guys much at all against teams not on the MAAC or NEC, etc. they barely get a whiff of playing time ever.

Reactions: CaptBob
That has to change. You cannot play through March with just 5-6 players eating up all the minutes. That is obviously a recipe for disaster, record wise and injury wise.
Agreed. We are always quick to moan about injuries when they do happen, but this team has been incredibly fortunate that none of the starters have missed time due to injury.

That has to change. You cannot play through March with just 5-6 players eating up all the minutes. That is obviously a recipe for disaster, record wise and injury wise.
It’s a conundrum. You almost have to just throw them out there, maybe they elevate and surprise like the Monmouth game. But it’s a problem because the starters consistently get off to awful starts and then he’s going to ride them to comeback. Even against Connecticut and Xavier the team faced double-digit deficits in the 1st Half again. It’s a definite pattern with this team.

If Tubek is that much better than NgaNga and can spell Davis a few minutes at the 4, that’d be great. Otherwise it’s about making a concerted effort to get Brown and I guess Sanders more minutes. Plus while Coleman shows a lot, his splits against power conference teams versus all others is night and day. He’s still learning.

How do you know Tubek is practicing?
Just curious
I do not know this. But I think Holloway may’ve mentioned that Tubek did practice the week of the game at Xavier. Not sure why he didn’t play, perhaps cautionary with a 10-day layoff after that game, IDK.

I've felt that two of the priorities for this season -- and frankly things that needed to happen if we had any chance of outpacing expectation -- were giving Coleman and Tubek minutes to develop.

Obviously Tubek has been injured. There's not much you can do about that. Hopefully he's healthy enough to give us some consistent minutes.

Coleman was a bright spot early and showed well in San Diego. Since then, he's disappointed against BE level competition. I don't know that it's reasonable to expect more than 18 minutes per game but he needs to increase his productivity and efficiency on both ends of the floor.

To that end, we need to get more production from the bench -- both in minutes as well as in stats. In the last three games before the break, played in a six-day span, the bench played 113 of 600 minutes (about 19% of available PT).

I realize the level of competition is quite different but it's hard to believe that in two years, Sha has gone from a coach who played 10 or 11 guys to one who barely trusts anyone outside the starting five to provide minutes and production.

I realize the level of competition is quite different but it's hard to believe that in two years, Sha has gone from a coach who played 10 or 11 guys to one who barely trusts anyone outside the starting five to provide minutes and production.
Its early in Sha's tenure, but he needs to develop players if we have any chance. We don't recruit 5 star players - more in the 3 star range and hope they develop. We need Sanders to show more. Kadary has improved in some aspects and our FT shooting as a team has improved but even in this wacky landscape we need to hope we keep them and develop our players so they can contribute. The BE schedule will be a grind - should be interesting how our bench fares and if Coach gets them in there more. He's got to find a way or our starters will get hurt and or tired or both and that won't help put up W's.

Reactions: Piratz
Its early in Sha's tenure, but he needs to develop players if we have any chance. We don't recruit 5 star players - more in the 3 star range and hope they develop. We need Sanders to show more. Kadary has improved in some aspects and our FT shooting as a team has improved but even in this wacky landscape we need to hope we keep them and develop our players so they can contribute. The BE schedule will be a grind - should be interesting how our bench fares and if Coach gets them in there more. He's got to find a way or our starters will get hurt and or tired or both and that won't help put up W's.
I’ve been surprised that he hasn’t used them more and has given so much rope to some of his vets.

I hope they have had some great practices and Coleman, Sanders and EHE are ready to contribute. Sprinkle a little of Malachi Brown, NgaNga and hopefully Tubek into the mix!! We need to start winning these type of games to be relevant!!

Reactions: mbraue
I’ve been surprised that he hasn’t used them more and has given so much rope to some of his vets.
I agree. We are starting four seniors and a post-grad. Yes, two could conceivebly return for a covid year but I really wish Sha were using these bench young'ns more. The starting five are good but it's not like they are an all star team.

Levance Fields -- no. Fields was a stockier version of Posh, not as fast or athletic, but a better shooter as I recall (although he wasn't great). Consummate floor general I'd take on my team any time.

I can see the see the Tyreke Evans comp to a degree, although Evans was a bigger recruit and better player. Remember Evans only stuck around one year. So the freshman year Tyreke as a comp to Kadary now. If Tyreke stayed longer in college his ceiling was much, much higher, as he would have absolutely killed college kids as an upperclassman. Probably even as a sophomore, as the guy won ROY in the NBA.

I agree. We are starting four seniors and a post-grad. Yes, two could conceivebly return for a covid year but I really wish Sha were using these bench young'ns more. The starting five are good but it's not like they are an all star team.
I don’t see it changing anytime soon despite all the red flags about bench minutes. Richmond/Davis/Bediako are consistently good players. Dawes and Addae-Wusu are painfully inconsistent scorers at best and also tend to have low IQ plays quite often, which is a double whammy. We need at least 1 of them to be consistently good. Otherwise when they have one of their good streaky shooting good games we’ll be in games and win. When they don’t, we won’t and likely get blown out.

It’s only January 2nd, so you hope to see some progression from Coleman, Brown, Sanders, and maybe Tubek over the course of the next two months. It’s a good year in some sense if we are confident about that quartet moving forward.

Even with that low bar, there is still a distinct drop off from the first five to the bench.

Coleman is the closer thing to being a starter and he's averaging six points a game. The problem is that drops to three per game against P6 competition.

I don’t see it changing anytime soon despite all the red flags about bench minutes. Richmond/Davis/Bediako are consistently good players. Dawes and Addae-Wusu are painfully inconsistent scorers at best and also tend to have low IQ plays quite often, which is a double whammy. We need at least 1 of them to be consistently good. Otherwise when they have one of their good streaky shooting good games we’ll be in games and win. When they don’t, we won’t and likely get blown out.

It’s only January 2nd, so you hope to see some progression from Coleman, Brown, Sanders, and maybe Tubek over the course of the next two months. It’s a good year in some sense if we are confident about that quartet moving forward.
I completely agree with this. That's what I expect this week. Sha is going to plug and play those same 5 starters. He hopes as you say it's an "On" night for Dawes and Wusu. In addition, how far into the game does it take Richmond to become a factor. If those things happen then it will probably be a competitive game. At home they also play more relaxed and with more confidence, although Marquette has been a matchup nightmare recently. For me, I'd rather gamble at the start of the game as far as injecting a Coleman or Sanders into the action. Worst scenario is you are down 10 or so, but you trying to get more out of the roster. I mean we are usually down 10 or more in the first half anyway.

I completely agree with this. That's what I expect this week. Sha is going to plug and play those same 5 starters. He hopes as you say it's an "On" night for Dawes and Wusu. In addition, how far into the game does it take Richmond to become a factor. If those things happen then it will probably be a competitive game. At home they also play more relaxed and with more confidence, although Marquette has been a matchup nightmare recently. For me, I'd rather gamble at the start of the game as far as injecting a Coleman or Sanders into the action. Worst scenario is you are down 10 or so, but you trying to get more out of the roster. I mean we are usually down 10 or more in the first half anyway.
We’ll see what happens. They’ve had a lot of time off to practice and adjust. No clue what to expect from this group.

What we do know is this group has a problem starting games in the right mindset. They get way down early. Then they settle in and battle back, but I think it’s been 5 of the 6 games against power conference teams where we’ve been down 10 early? Would have to look again. Heck, look at the Rutgers game with a packed house of energized fans… even missed first 7 FT’s!! Holloway has been reluctant to address the start of the game by changing the players, so maybe we just snap out of it and the break helped whatever it is that clearly plagues them in that spot.

Need length to guard Hopkins. Dre doesn’t offer that. Going to be a tough matchup for us

So far Dawes has thrown the ball to Providence for a breakaway with seconds left on shotclock (they fortunately missed) and then missed an open layup! He's off to a typical start.

1. Holloway on Richmond (postgame radio): “Proud of Kadary. I wasn’t sure he was going to play; he’s had an eye injury and he only practiced twice since Xavier (on Dec. 23)…I’m proud of him for him gutting it out the way he did."

Hard to imagine him not playing, where we'd fine an extra 37 minutes from the roster

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT