ADVERTISEMENT

Regroup Real Fast

NYC Pirate

All World
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2007
That was one frustrating night at Prudential Center. This loss bothered me way more than the Creighton loss. The atmosphere was luke warm, the students were not at their best and the team absolutely screwed up. Wusu had an abortion of a game on the offensive side. Whatever the opposite of Max focus is, we watched that. He's a better player than that. He is in an awful slump scoring 6 points in two important games. Hopefully, he gets it corrected.

Obviously, missing Richmond cast a mini dark cloud over the operation. His physical presence was missed in a big way. I thought Coleman stepped up and played his best BigEast game to date. That bodes well. I thought Brown played a respectable few minutes and did not hurt the team. So that's good too. I'm not sure why Sha did not play EHE in either game late with Bediako logging so many minutes. It looked like he had a breakout game vs SJU. He may add an extra or different component. If he's out there he may have drawn Oduro out of the paint and allowed Dawes and Davis more room going to the basket. Sha needs to coach every possession down the stretch. On this night Coleman and EHE may have been better alternatives to Wusu and a tired Bediako?? Anyway, we could go on and on. The bottom line is you would expect a loss at Marquette with or probably without Richmond. So, Sha has to zero in on the DePaul game next week. The team needs 7 more wins I believe by Selection Sunday. They better beat "" "" DePaul!!!

Reactions: pirate AI
EHE doesn’t allow Sha to do what he wants defensively. Unless Sha is willing to adjust his scheme, EHE won’t see those minutes. I do like him and think he’s an asset but when Brown hit him with a beautiful pass and he fumbled it going up, that hurts.

With Kadary, we can beat anyone. I wouldn’t write us off on Saturday if he suits up.

Without Kadary, I don’t see anymore than 4 or 5 wins the rest of the way (Georgetown, Butler, DePaul 2x). Maybe get lucky and get one against Villanova/St. John’s.

EHE doesn’t allow Sha to do what he wants defensively. Unless Sha is willing to adjust his scheme, EHE won’t see those minutes. I do like him and think he’s an asset but when Brown hit him with a beautiful pass and he fumbled it going up, that hurts.

With Kadary, we can beat anyone. I wouldn’t write us off on Saturday if he suits up.

Without Kadary, I don’t see anymore than 4 or 5 wins the rest of the way (Georgetown, Butler, DePaul 2x). Maybe get lucky and get one against Villanova/St. John’s.
Last night was frustrating because up 10 under 12 minutes you feel wow this team is so tough and this is going to get done. This loss destroyed the math for compiling wins. We want to stay away from being On the Bubble going to MSG . We don't want to be,playing a road game against Connecticut at The big east Tournament.

I get your point about EHE, but Providence may have had to change their defensive look on a particular possession. That could have freed up space. for other guys. Same on defense because Oduro was getting the better of a worn down Bediako late in the game. In both games She never put EHE back in to see if he could add to the equation. I won't kill Sha for the Richmond absence and not having time to gameplan . I would say that he is not using his TO's at the right time and he did not have a good feel for who was on and who was way off. Coleman was,playing with his most confidence and,had,energy. Not even sure Wusu should have been on the court. Down three that play was horrific. Also, down 4, they still had time to go for quick a 2 and foul, I believe Dawes did that with 20 seconds .. Do it again. I don't think Providence had any timeouts left. Maybe a turnover or a 5 5second call? Izzo, would not coach that way.Sha is is doing a great job this season. I guess the last part of his coaching maturation process is to be a bit more of a chess player down the stretch of games. Other than that, his team is battling on most nights.

Last night was frustrating because up 10 under 12 minutes you feel wow this team is so tough and this is going to get done. This loss destroyed the math for compiling wins. We want to stay away from being On the Bubble going to MSG . We don't want to be,playing a road game against Connecticut at The big east Tournament.

I get your point about EHE, but Providence may have had to change their defensive look on a particular possession. That could have freed up space. for other guys. Same on defense because Oduro was getting the better of a worn down Bediako late in the game. In both games She never put EHE back in to see if he could add to the equation. I won't kill Sha for the Richmond absence and not having time to gameplan . I would say that he is not using his TO's at the right time and he did not have a good feel for who was on and who was way off. Coleman was,playing with his most confidence and,had,energy. Not even sure Wusu should have been on the court. Down three that play was horrific. Also, down 4, they still had time to go for quick a 2 and foul, I believe Dawes did that with 20 seconds .. Do it again. I don't think Providence had any timeouts left. Maybe a turnover or a 5 5second call? Izzo, would not coach that way.Sha is is doing a great job this season. I guess the last part of his coaching maturation process is to be a bit more of a chess player down the stretch of games. Other than that, his team is battling on most nights.
PC seemed to adjust on how they were defending Dawes, who was really all we had all night along with Coleman. Then we looked just sluggish and awful with turnovers, poor position, slow reactions. Odoro had a huge stretch when our guys were weak with the ball. PC wasn’t a house of fire either, but did just enough. We likely were going to have a clunker somewhere.

Think we had what, 2 FG in final 8 minutes? Woof.

I was surprised that they were up 10 at the under-12.

Looking at the remainder of the schedule, assuming Richmond is back soon, obviously not in order:
Butler (H) - W
Gtown (H) - W
Depaul (H/A) - 2W
VU (H/A) - 1W
uconn (A) - L
MQ (A) - L
SJU (A) - ?
CU (A) - L
X (H) - ?

Given Kadary's injury history, the amount of minutes and how physical he plays, it almost seems inevitable. I was hopeful we could beat a middling PC team without him.
That said, if this is a short-term situation for KR, we are still in good shape. 6-4 the rest of the way would be great, and three of those have to be gimmees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratz
Fools errand to count any future games as a "W" with or without KR. We lost to a not so good PC and RU on our home court. There are NO gimmees in the BE. If you don't bring your "A" game every night you can lose!

so how do we predict which games will Win? We just mark them all as Ls?

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Projections never add up how u think they will. We struggled against gtown. Any team can go off on any given night as much as we can suck any given night

Reactions: newshu1
That was one frustrating night at Prudential Center. This loss bothered me way more than the Creighton loss. The atmosphere was luke warm, the students were not at their best and the team absolutely screwed up. Wusu had an abortion of a game on the offensive side. Whatever the opposite of Max focus is, we watched that. He's a better player than that. He is in an awful slump scoring 6 points in two important games. Hopefully, he gets it corrected.

Obviously, missing Richmond cast a mini dark cloud over the operation. His physical presence was missed in a big way. I thought Coleman stepped up and played his best BigEast game to date. That bodes well. I thought Brown played a respectable few minutes and did not hurt the team. So that's good too. I'm not sure why Sha did not play EHE in either game late with Bediako logging so many minutes. It looked like he had a breakout game vs SJU. He may add an extra or different component. If he's out there he may have drawn Oduro out of the paint and allowed Dawes and Davis more room going to the basket. Sha needs to coach every possession down the stretch. On this night Coleman and EHE may have been better alternatives to Wusu and a tired Bediako?? Anyway, we could go on and on. The bottom line is you would expect a loss at Marquette with or probably without Richmond. So, Sha has to zero in on the DePaul game next week. The team needs 7 more wins I believe by Selection Sunday. They better beat "" "" DePaul!!!
Don't see us beating Marquette in Milwaukee without KR.We should be able to beat DePaul in Chicago without him.Rest him for three games including last night.

Reactions: mbraue

Brown's pass to Elijah reminded me of Anthony Nelson. Great pass but a tough low one for a big man in the paint. Dawes's foul with us down by three with about 40 seconds to go was puzzling. I keep waiting for Tubek to do something.

"EHE doesn’t allow Sha to do what he wants defensively. Unless Sha is willing to adjust his scheme, EHE won’t see those minutes. I do like him and think he’s an asset but when Brown hit him with a beautiful pass and he fumbled it going up, that hurts."

Sha needs to adjust his scheme. EHE should have seen late minutes in the past two games to open up the lane.
Bediako wont take a shot more than 3 feet away from the basket & the Big East now knows it.

Reactions: NYC Pirate
Brown's pass to Elijah reminded me of Anthony Nelson. Great pass but a tough low one for a big man in the paint. Dawes's foul with us down by three with about 40 seconds to go was puzzling. I keep waiting for Tubek to do something.
Tubek, while young, is who I believe is the player mostly responsible for the blown lead. He was lost on both sides of the ball and Sha was not quick enough to pull him. One trip up and down the floor told me that he doesn’t know where he belongs or what his role is. I thought Sha should have looked to step on their throats rather than get Dre and Bediako rest. That was the difference in the game.

Reactions: catholicman
If you think Tubek was most responsible for the blown lead then you were not watching what I saw was happening. Try watching the game again if you can or just look at the stats for both teams. No way can you blame Tubek for what happened!

Providence a not very good free throw or 3 point shooting team over achieved. Then we had 2 guys take a lot of shots and missed a lot of them. So let's blame Tubek? Wow!

If you think Tubek was most responsible for the blown lead then you were not watching what I saw was happening. Try watching the game again if you can or just look at the stats for both teams. No way can you blame Tubek for what happened!

Providence a not very good free throw or 3 point shooting team over achieved. Then we had 2 guys take a lot of shots and missed a lot of them. So let's blame Tubek? Wow!
I’ll watch again if you watch again. Let’s compare notes and see if either of us change our way of thinking. Watch Tubek once he enters the game with the big lead. Watch what he does on both ends of the floor. It’s plain as day that he was lost on both sides of the ball.

I have it recorded and I will review the 7 minutes he was in the game and see if he was the reason we lost. You do the same as well as the others on this forum.

Reactions: Hall Is Life
Don't see us beating Marquette in Milwaukee without KR.We should be able to beat DePaul in Chicago without him.Rest him for three games including last night.
Richmond plays when he's healthy to do so. No sooner, no later. Sitting him in a game he is healthy enough to play is silly.

If the game situation offers the opportunity for extended rest that's fine. If it doesn't, you have your answer on whether he should have sat for no reason or not.

Reactions: Piratz
There have been many cases where supposedly healthy players have reinjured themselves in their first game back.We'll see what happens and hopefully his return will be at 100%

I just finished watching it when Tubek entered the game at the 13:38 mark of the second half and when Tubek left the Hall was up 53-46 at the 9:58 mark. Prior to the 53-46 score and his leaving it was 51- 43 and Tubek, Dylan, and Coleman missed shots that could have extended to lead beyond 10. At one point Tubek got caught on a switch and did leave his man open for a 3 that was made. But it if you watched that part of the game Davis also lost his man who hit a 3 and so did Dylan. The problem though was SHU missed shots they should have made. EHE, Coleman and Dylan.

I also see that Dylan was guarding Carter who was scoring at will during the time I watched.

So YOU need to watch the second half again and tell us how you think Tubek was the culprit!

I watched the last part of game again. I'll stand by what I said about Bediako being gassed and Sha not using EHE on a few possessions. Bediako played fairly well on the homestand. His defense was very good. He's being asked to do a lot and may be wearing down late in these games. His defense understandably falls off just a tad playing against some very good BigEast bigs with all the hedging. It is his offense that tends to suffer in second halves. In the Creighton game he scored the first hoop of second half and then only 4 more basically in the last 35 minutes. He had zero points in the second half vs Providence. So you had two starters that did not score in the second half of an important game at home, without your best player. EHE is not that much of a falloff on defense and presents a different look on offense. Bediako is a decent player and Sha does not have to overuse him to this degree. Use the two headed monster more efficiently moving forward.

Reactions: Burnsly and shu67
Our Centers are good the issue they have is when they face more agile and athletic big men. Scoring and rebounding wise they have done a decent enough job. However they get caught on switches very easily and wind up giving the opposing centers more opportunity to score.

There have been many cases where supposedly healthy players have reinjured themselves in their first game back.We'll see what happens and hopefully his return will be at 100%
I understand that. You have the trust the doctor and the player in that case. For that matter he could suffer a different injury in his first game back.

If we really want to make sure his comes back at 100% we should probably sit him for the year.

I understand that. You have the trust the doctor and the player in that case. For that matter he could suffer a different injury in his first game back.

If we really want to make sure his comes back at 100% we should probably sit him for the year.
But he could accidentally sit on a thumbtack and get Tetanus. Sounds too risky to me. He's safest on the court. 😁

You want to roll turn dice on the season? With Kadary we have little room for error; without him we have none.

If he’s healthy enough to play…you play him.

I just finished watching it when Tubek entered the game at the 13:38 mark of the second half and when Tubek left the Hall was up 53-46 at the 9:58 mark. Prior to the 53-46 score and his leaving it was 51- 43 and Tubek, Dylan, and Coleman missed shots that could have extended to lead beyond 10. At one point Tubek got caught on a switch and did leave his man open for a 3 that was made. But it if you watched that part of the game Davis also lost his man who hit a 3 and so did Dylan. The problem though was SHU missed shots they should have made. EHE, Coleman and Dylan.

I also see that Dylan was guarding Carter who was scoring at will during the time I watched.

So YOU need to watch the second half again and tell us how you think Tubek was the culprit!

Good of you to rewatch it to confirm what you already knew - it’s ridiculous to suggest a guy who played 7 minutes cost us the game. How about somebody watch the last several minutes and the poor decisions our “Senior Leaders” made as we gave away any chance of winning. And maybe the 7 assists we had in 40 minutes of mostly one on one basketball.

Tubek, while young, is who I believe is the player mostly responsible for the blown lead. He was lost on both sides of the ball and Sha was not quick enough to pull him. One trip up and down the floor told me that he doesn’t know where he belongs or what his role is. I thought Sha should have looked to step on their throats rather than get Dre and Bediako rest. That was the difference in the game.
Poor coaching at this point for sure.

I just watched it again. Your scores are not correct. However, I will admit that Tubek was not nearly as bad on second watch as he looked live. Offensively, it was the entire team stalling, not just him. Defensively, he did get lost on 2 straight possessions. Luckily the second wide open three didn’t drop.

I will take away my blame on Tubek and put it back on Sha for making the subs in the first place. It was 48-39 when Tubek came in. It was 53-47 when he left but the sub came in between free throws so it was 53-48 when play started back up. While the lead dropping from 9 to 5 doesn’t seem like a huge deal, it was the fact that we had all the momentum up 9 and then he subbed out Dre after his made free throw. Just a poor time to sub. Ride the momentum. Don’t auto sub just because your sheet says so. Willard used to do this too and it drove me nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT