ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond has left the building

If you're referencing my comment, that isn't what I said. Had Holloway known Richmond was going elsewhere, despite our best offer, would there have been enough NIL to keep Davis?
No. It was in the Zags article. Sorry, I meant to link it.

The reality is that it's not for us to judge how these players spend their newfound wealth. This is simple capitalism at play; they have the right to earn as much as they're offered.
No capitalism would be an owner or in this case the school paying the players. This is just bizarre I'm throwing money at you to do nothing for me but play for my alma mater. This is closer to giving a child an allowance to reward behavior. In this case behavior is playing for my team.

Look, we used to have a light touch regarding players because they were young. Not anymore! They are now professionals. They are getting paid better than the G-League pays. So they should be treated as professionals. Have to sign contracts. No soft pedaling. Multi year contracts with performance clauses. Don’t perform, don’t get paid. Get hurt, unless you are insured too bad. If the coach feels you are not working out mid season. Pull the contract. Scholarships? Why? They are playing for pay. Why should the school fund their education. If they want to be student athletes, then as a student they should pay their way. They will get paid their NIL money. This is no longer a college/player relationship. It is a professional worker college relationship. They have to do their jobs or get out. The coach needs to bring back the control. It is no longer a situation where the “student “ needs to have control. They are not students. They are guns for hire. They should be treated that way. Sorry but I think some really tough stances need to be taken. No love. Just show up, do your job or get the hell out!

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but we still need to compete against other schools.

The top NIL schools won't care about any restrictions because they can reload every year. We're not going to be able to get any kids if we're forcing restrictions that other schools aren't. Any restrictions have to be at the NCAA level where all schools have the same requirements.

Reactions: chickenbox
It’ll be interesting to see how he handles the vitriol after he has one of his 2-11 shooting games and they lose.. doesn’t seem like the kind of kid that wants attention.. well, it’s coming now
If you didn’t notice during his tenure here KR could really give a $h$T what people think about him.

No capitalism would be an owner or in this case the school paying the players. This is just bizarre I'm throwing money at you to do nothing for me but play for my alma mater. This is closer to giving a child an allowance to reward behavior. In this case behavior is playing for my team.
Your observation is so true, SHUHoops! In professional sports, for example, an owner, seeking to make a profit, cannot indiscriminately spend without reference to the team's bottom line. That's why capitalism works. The competition is self-regulating, so to speak, and is based on profit.

The way I see it, in order to preserve some competitive integrity in the sport, and avoid the teams becoming a collection of "one-year" mercenaries that it is already well on its way to becoming, there would need to be restrictions put in place. I have seen suggestions that the players be required to enter into contracts; some have suggested limiting a players' ability to transfer, perhaps to one time; and, not sure if it has been mentioned here, but a "salary cap" might help level the playing the field.

The question is do these restrictions violate anti-trust law and would it past muster under court scrutiny? At first blush, the answer is, of course, yes, it violates anti-trust. But a wealthy donor bankrolling college athletes under the guise of "name, image and likeness" to me at least provides a "legal opening" for distinguishing what is going on in college athletics from every other business in America where there is a bottom line to account for, and to which application of anti-trust laws makes sense!

Get a backbone NCAA, put some regulations in place, and lawyer up!

I was just so sorry to see this news-what a drag[oh Lord, am I aging myself with that expression], but, looking at the numbers, it's simply reality. It looks like, between Dre and Kadary, they're going to clear nearly $2 Mill!
Seton offered Kadary $800 Thou, and it wasn't enough! What a roller coaster this has become! Scotty Middleton comes on board 2 days ago, and already bad news follows!
So, we need a point desperately now-I vote for Posh-on the court, he embodies our system. Secondly, I have some hope that we, in the end, retain DylanAW, Jacquon Sanders, and maybe EHE.
But, with news of Supreme Cook back in the portal, he would be a nice fit in S Orange.
Here's the thing though, we scrapped our way to an NIT championship this yr, and I, for one, am eternally greatly for that

I hate to leave Seton Hall, it's a special place and Coach Holloway really helped me build up my confidence… but I'm going to cash in anyway so...

(Not that I blame, actually when someone gives you the opportunity to earn a guaranteed million dollars, you take it.)ieN
CL: Do you see any chance of Kadary landing at UCONN? I realize there is the Hurley---Seton Hall--- Shaheen consideration, but if he is determined to leave and there was no contact before his announcement (as I believe to be the case), what better place to get NBA consideration? Reminds me of PJ saying he was not interested in Seton Hall because it should be Hoddy Mahon's job. Then the Hall said there was no way they would hire Hoddy, and suddenly .... it was PJ.)

Would love to understand the comment in the Zags story that Richmond would have stayed if Dre didn't leave. So silly.
Don’t know if it’s right as I take Zags with a grain of salt but I can see the thinking there.

CL: Do you see any chance of Kadary landing at UCONN? I realize there is the Hurley---Seton Hall--- Shaheen consideration, but if he is determined to leave and there was no contact before his announcement (as I believe to be the case), what better place to get NBA consideration? Reminds me of PJ saying he was not interested in Seton Hall because it should be Hoddy Mahon's job. Then the Hall said there was no way they would hire Hoddy, and suddenly .... it was PJ.)
I don't see it happening. We've got Dayton portal player Koby Brea on campus right now. He had only two visits scheduled us and Duke and he just canceled the Duke visit, so things are looking good for him to take a guard slot for us.

We just picked up a verbal 6' 8" five star power forward Liam McNeeley last night.

Right now, the big uncertainties are whether or not Karaban stays in the draft and whether Hassan Diarra enters the portal if Brea joins given that we have got #30 high schooler Amad Nowell coming in at guard as well. If Diarra leaves there's a spot for Richmond, but I don't see him wanting that role.

Last edited:
It would be nice being a UCONN fan.
Plenty of room on the bandwagon. ;)

That's how college basketball goes, you have up years and down years right now we are hot. You have to enjoy those while you can.

Plenty of room on the bandwagon. ;)

That's how college basketball goes, you have up years and down years right now we are hot. You have to enjoy those while you can.
You're in a good spot. You have a top 10 coach in the game. You're at a point where guys are going to buy in because they've damn well seen the results and it wasn't a one time fluke. You're up years could be decades long if the school plays its cards right. Have to respect the position your program is in and have to respect your coach isn't going to lighten up one bit.

You're in a good spot. You have a top 10 coach in the game. You're at a point where guys are going to buy in because they've damn well seen the results and it wasn't a one time fluke. You're up years could be decades long if the school plays its cards right. Have to respect the position your program is in and have to respect your coach isn't going to lighten up one bit.
Agree 100% especially regarding Hurley's intensity. But here's the thing, he can't keep going at this pace forever. Even he has said that. With NIL and the portal being a college coach is more demanding than ever. You not only have to develop your team, coach your team, meet with high school recruits, but now you have to be a quick study on the portal and make lightning fast decisions in a highly visible and volatile arena. On top of that, you have to be re-recruiting your players who could enter the portal at any minute. It's insane ands probably tougher than it's been anytime previously.

That's why my attitude is to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. Because it won't last forever.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Yes, this was alluded to in several places when Wusu was being recruited here last year. Now that he's apparently moving on, the story is Wusu physically assaulted a team manager. Anderson swept it, and numerous other things that weren't good, "under the rug" so to speak. When SJU's new President -- whatever his name is, but the guy from Providence that our Providence poster here speaks glowingly about -- apparently found out about this and stuff going on with the team, he was aghast.

You sure know a lot about St. Johns.

Agree 100% especially regarding Hurley's intensity. But here's the thing, he can't keep going at this pace forever. Even he has said that. With NIL and the portal being a college coach is more demanding than ever. You not only have to develop your team, coach your team, meet with high school recruits, but now you have to be a quick study on the portal and make lightning fast decisions in a highly visible and volatile arena. On top of that, you have to be re-recruiting your players who could enter the portal at any minute. It's insane ands probably tougher than it's been anytime previously.

That's why my attitude is to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. Because it won't last forever.

Everything you said is true. The caveat is that Hurley is a chip off the block of his father. Many people expected Bob, Sr. to go to college and advance in his coaching career, but he never did. Yes, there are significant differences: Bob, Sr. was coaching and teaching in Jersey City, (and anyone who knows anyone from JC knows that prying someone born and raised out of JC can be like getting a turtle to come out of its shell), and he had the opportunity to coach both Bobby and Danny, but the Hurleys are just wired differently. I could absolutely see Danny there for another 15 years.

Reactions: CL82 and PF58

Any chance of Ball entering the portal?

Of course John is going to say that. He owes everything he has to Seton Hall and its connections. Anyone with an ounce of brains knows we are never going to be competitive in the NIL market.
$800,000 was a really good offer. We are now in the ballpark, a quantum leap ahead of where we were. A corporate sponsorship of high magnitude could be just around the corner....

(I am leery of US corporate culture.)

$800,000 was a really good offer. We are now in the ballpark, a quantum leap ahead of where we were. A corporate sponsorship of high magnitude could be just around the corner....

That's close enough to UK's purported million dollar offer to give him the opportunity to stay if he wants to.

Reactions: hallwins

Don’t think we offered him 800k at all..but probably didn’t matter..I heard another school was willing to go big on him..loved him..had been in contact for a long time and basically were told don’t try..whatever you give St. John’s will exceed..who knows

We’ll be ok just gotta coach em up

Reactions: chickenbox
Maybe spk or someone else knows this. If schools set up an unofficial salary cap (unlikely i know) could they be sued for collusion?

Even if schools are not who is paying them?
yes, because in this hypothetical, it’s the schools that are setting a salary cap.

There’s two potential ways to a salary cap that I can think of.

One, congress grants the ncaa an antitrust exemption. This is not going to happen in today’s world. Zero percent chance.

Two, the ncaa declares student athletes employees. Student athletes unionize, likely by sport. Unions and NCAA collectively bargain. This would likely be the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of the power 5 separating from the ncaa.

In pro sports, you have competing interests driven largely by the size of the markets. Your NY’s and LA’s subsidize to some degree your OKC’s and Minnesota's. It’s done for the good of the game. Likewise, on the players union side, there’s far more players simply trying to crack a lineup or make a team than there are lebrons (think in terms of union votes). This results in stars sacrificing some of their earning potential to be distributed to average/below average players.

The member institutions in the ncaa are too different in terms of resources to find a common ground imo. And the power 5 is already constantly giving the impression they think they can break off on their own and be quite successful (follow the private equity dollars).

Reactions: shupat08
I certainly hope so. The crazier that number gets the more likely the powers that be notice that the little guy and even the guy in the middle simply cannot compete and something needs to be done.

The only power the small and medium size schools have is for their fans to unite, stop participating and stop watching. Fans of only 75 schools watching the sport will drop the numbers big time. How many fans of non power schools still tune in to watch the power conference teams play. Imagine if that number went away. It will probably never happen, but as the players unite, the fans should unite. It's funny to think how the Iowa wave at the end of the first quarter started on a message board and fans came together for one of the best if not the best new tradition in all of college sports. It would be something if the fans could come together and say we're not watching unless there's a fair system in place.

CL: What is your read on how much NIL $$$ Princeton's Chen gets at UCONN?
I haven't seen anything on it. If I do I'll post it. Keep in mind that the Princeton coach Carla Berube was a member of the UConn 1995 national championship team. I think that may be driving the transfer, well that and the fact that the Ivy League doesn't allow grad years.

I certainly hope so. The crazier that number gets the more likely the powers that be notice that the little guy and even the guy in the middle simply cannot compete and something needs to be done.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF by The Steve Wilkos Show

The powers that be are who is driving this insanity. They are well aware that they are going to price everyone else out of being able to compete. Connecticut is a little better situated than Seton Hall since we are a public, but even we are going to be on the losing end of this stick eventually.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT