ADVERTISEMENT

Sad but not shocked

Many of the bracket makers said it was going to come down to what the Committee prioritized. This is the issue many have. The lack of consistency.

I don't recall 95% of brackets having us out on Selection Sunday, but if that was the case, I am not arguing.
The conference tournament upsets changed things. There was a big gap between maybe Tuesday/Wednesday projections and final given spots were taken. You had teams getting in that weren’t Bubble teams, including NC State.

Are the Committee members supposed to be robot like on what they analyze and what the terms are? Yes. Is that always the case? No. They’re humans. They vote. It’s not unanimous all the times so you don’t know who wanted what. But bc all these teams have warts its an endless debate.

Shows 226 brackets, seton hall was in on 13. In on under 6%. Most bracketologists agree Virginia should've been out and Oklahoma in.
Simple explanation. They are all influenced by the same/similar metric systems.

Kenpom, NET, ect.

Watching games as there are too many teams now in D1 is a thing of the past. Replaced by follow the leader.

Many of the bracket makers said it was going to come down to what the Committee prioritized. This is the issue many have. The lack of consistency.

I don't recall 95% of brackets having us out on Selection Sunday, but if that was the case, I am not arguing.
I thought we were in even after the SJU blasting, but got nervous by Sunday afternoon between the "bid stealers" and Vegas having our odds of making it so doubtful. By Sunday afternoon it was +572 for Hall to dance or something like that.

Reactions: hallwins
I thought we were in even after the SJU blasting, but got nervous by Sunday afternoon between the "bid stealers" and Vegas having our odds of making it so doubtful. By Sunday afternoon it was +572 for Hall to dance or something like that.
We were solid after the regular season. Then it started slipping bc the bids dried up and we were a consensus last 4 in.

And yeah when we finished 13-7 we were in clearly. The % on bracket matrix was much higher then.

We knew we were possibly screwed with the 5 fluke steals in the conf tournaments. So we ended up 2 out.

I would’ve had us higher, enough to just survive by either the last team or second to it that but they disagreed as did most who do bracketology bc we had warts they felt were worse than comparable teams. We didn’t do enough to survive that wave.

But it’s been weeks. The season is over. What there to still debate? We made the most of it took care of the NIT. I’m happy we did that.
I agree. It is over. Solid season and nice ending. It was close call and we didn’t make it. The one team that bothered me was Virginia. We were better team. Oh well. Anyway, time for portal craziness and next year.

Kenpom, NET, ect.

Watching games as there are too many teams now in D1 is a thing of the past. Replaced by follow the leader.
I agree 100%. I'll bet most of them follow the leader and if they do watch it's Championship week where we laid the ultimate egg of a 19 point loss. At the same time everyone here is influenced by their love of Seton Hall so there is bias for most people arguing Seton Hall was snubbed. But the number of 18+ point losses we had this year is staggering. Complete metric and eye test killer.

I agree. It is over. It was close call and we didn’t make it. The one team that bothered was Virginia. We were better team. Oh well. Anyway, time for portal craziness and next year.
Yeah I was surprised UVA and Colorado State were a few slots higher than us. But hey that’s what happens when you have an atrocious non-con and your best road wins are fellow Bubble teams, I guess. And they did cite metrics to defend selections and ours wasn’t good. I don’t think we could’ve even done enough at the BET to jump Oklahoma, Cleveland State, or Virginia to get our profile up short of beating Connecticut again.

Yeah I was surprised UVA and Colorado State were a few slots higher than us. But hey that’s what happens when you have an atrocious non-con and your best road wins are fellow Bubble teams, I guess. And they did cite metrics to defend selections and ours wasn’t good. I don’t think we could’ve even done enough at the BET to jump Oklahoma, Cleveland State, or Virginia to get our profile up short of beating Connecticut again.
exactly and the performance in BET did not help our cause.

The UConn part is correct. But you did not say on the post those two teams are very good. That's why I posted as I did.

I've said it on many other threads throughout the last few months, as you know. To not acknowledge that is ignorant at best, intentionally misleading at worst.

Kenpom, NET, ect.

This is laughable, conspiratorial thinking. Any objective person, who knows how the selection process works, knew Seton Hall was likely going to be passed over due to the bid thieves. Most of the people who do bracketology and are picked up by Bracket Matrix know what they're talking about. Most of the fans on this board have proven they do not, and they are also not objective. Bad combination when it comes to this topic.

As for the committee, they certainly watch games. They have a designated observer for each conference throughout the season, as an example. They are the most informed of anybody.

This is laughable, conspiratorial thinking. Any objective person, who knows how the selection process works, knew Seton Hall was likely going to be passed over due to the bid thieves. Most of the people who do bracketology and are picked up by Bracket Matrix know what they're talking about. Most of the fans on this board have proven they do not, and they are also not objective. Bad combination when it comes to this topic.

As for the committee, they certainly watch games. They have a designated observer for each conference throughout the season, as an example. They are the most informed of anybody.
There was 226 brackets as I linked up. I believe most of them do their homework. I’d guess there is a good number of brackets who see what other bracketologists do and follow suit too.

Reactions: shu09

Shows 226 brackets, seton hall was in on 13. In on under 6%. Most bracketologists agree Virginia should've been out and Oklahoma in.
Our resume was good enough. We were in the NCAAT going into Saturday. Then all the bid stealing. That’s why on Sunday most said we were out. It wasn’t because our resume asn’t good enough. Heck I posted late Saturday night after watching tons of hoops that we were probably out, but only because of the flukey conference tournaments.

Our resume was good enough. We were in the NCAAT going into Saturday. Then all the bid stealing. That’s why on Sunday most said we were out. It wasn’t because our resume asn’t good enough. Heck I posted late Saturday night after watching tons of hoops that we were probably out, but only because of the flukey conference tournaments.
Bid stealing isnt a fluke. It happens every year. After we lost to SJU we were basically last 4 in with 3.5 days of basketball to happen. It would’ve been a bigger fluke for chalk to happen.

Reactions: shu09

What' laughable? There's not an objective person in the business that won't tell you what I posted about the dependence on metrics in determining rankings. Why else would most every bracketier have such similar opinions?

You clearly have been defending that as long as I can remember. That's your opinion. Mine is different. I feel the overdependence on metrics, especially because no one can watch 362 D1 teams has skewed the legitimacy of many BB so called experts.

What' laughable? There's not an objective person in the business that won't tell you what I posted about the dependence on metrics in determining rankings. Why else would most every bracketier have such similar opinions?

You clearly have been defending that as long as I can remember. That's your opinion. Mine is different. I feel the overdependence on metrics, especially because no one can watch 362 D1 teams has skewed the legitimacy of many BB so called experts.
There is an overdependence on metrics, but I'll guarantee everyone bitching about Virginia didn't watch their games and is relying on metrics. People can't have it both ways. I only saw 2 UVA games before selection Sunday and both were ACC tournament games. I don't know how much the committee actually watches bubble teams but I bet there's a strong focus on watching bubble teams down the stretch where we weren't competitive with Creighton, UConn, or SJU.

Yet the committee states that they focus on the results of the entire season equally and not just on recent play.

So???????

According to the Committee Chair there were 3 bid stealers the last 2 years combined. There were 5 this year and he’s never seeing anything like 5.

Reactions: chickenbox
Yet the committee states that they focus on the results of the entire season equally and not just on recent play.

So???????
Yes but the committee decades ago always looked at last 10. I think it's human nature for that to factor in. Why they say that entire season equally, I don't know. If you want entire season equally you need robots in charge not people with human emotion. I don't think humans can ignore what's right in front of their eyes. And even if they say they do blind resumes I'll bet half the people know who they're looking at when they see the numbers. Heck I don't want our games in San Diego or vs RU to carry equal weight either. To me that's absurd. No team in March is who they were in November. I agree that's an annoying part of the process.

According to the Committee Chair there were 3 bid stealers the last 2 years combined. There were 5 this year and he’s never seeing anything like 5.
I think you'll see more of it moving forward due to the lack of continuity the transfer portal creates. You'll see a lot of teams struggle early on trying to figure things out then actually come together mid year and do what NC State did, maybe not to their level in the tournament but enough to steal bids.

Reactions: Piratz and PF58

So???????
I thought the committee puts more weight on year end results. When we won the BET at MSG and beat Villanova, Xavier both top 5 teams in the nation it did not really increase our seeding. The NET needs to not be considered, a metric that takes in to account how many points you win or lose a game. (A win is a win and a loss is a loss)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT