ADVERTISEMENT

Scotty Middleton - Crystal Ball Predictions???

I think it’s time these guys stop listing us in their top 3 or 5 when realistically they are not picking us. No nil, no big school name, no chance. They only list is because sha is a great guy and it feels of the moment to have our new hot coach interested in you. Just admit you want the other schools so we can focus on hard working kids who want to be here without all the conditions. At least we know they will play hard and not live on rep.
Keep him - he’s not a 5 and if such a big 4 star why did Kansas back away even though he went to prep school in their backyard. 😂

Brandin Weston was a 4 star - he’s at Rhode Island now - I get he had a knee injury. We have 4 stars on our roster - Richmond, Jackson and had others in the past - Ike, Cale, Aiken. It’s the sum of the parts.

Mamu in the league and was not a four - Steph Curry had offers from Delaware, William & Mary and Davidson and he’s an NBA legend. Josh Hart from Nova who stuck in the league was a 3.

There are plenty of 4&5 disappointments and busts - let’s get the ones who want to be here. Plenty of talent out there to compete with the best - just look what Sha did at St. Peter’s.

Last edited:
Considering most had us out of the chase about 2 weeks after the visit, why y'all are so heartbroken I don't understand. As I've said 1 home run doesn't always win the game. Give me players that want to develop and get to the pros thru tenacity, hard work and development. Rather than pit stop there

Reactions: mbraue
Keep him - he’s not a 5 and if such a big 4 star why did Kansas back away even though he went to prep school in their backyard. 😂

Brandin Weston was a 4 star - he’s at Rhode Island now - I get he had a knee injury. We have 4 stars on our roster - Richmond, Jackson and had others in the past - Ike, Cale, Aiken. It’s the sum of the parts.

Mamu in the league and was not a four - Steph Curry had offers from Delaware, William & Mary and Davidson and he’s an NBA legend. Josh Hart from Nova who stuck in the league was a 3.

There are plenty of 4&5 disappointments and busts - let’s get the ones who want to be here. Plenty of talent out there to compete with the best - just look what Sha did at St. Peter’s.
Dude you just put Mamu and Steph in the same sentence....unfortunately getting 4 and 5 stars get you farther in the dance. 3 stars gonna keep us at the dreaded 7-10 seed at best.

Dude you just put Mamu and Steph in the same sentence....unfortunately getting 4 and 5 stars get you farther in the dance. 3 stars gonna keep us at the dreaded 7-10 seed at best.
Lots of good points in the last few posts. I don’t care if Scottie is a 4 or a 5. 3’s end up in the NBA and 5’s flame out. For whatever reason, he chose sleepy Columbus over the Big Apple. Maybe it was NIL. Who cares? I just love that Coach Holloway has us in play and I hope he sticks with it. We do NOT have to settle for “ our type of player “. We are in the mix, brother.

giphy.gif

It's August 8th and more like this......lol

Dead on, been saying the same thing for years. My gut tells me we are in for a treat with Sha guiding the ship the next few years. Good time to get an extra season ticket, because soon there will not be any left. Bring kids in who are winners don’t worry about stars.

One on one basketball has kept us in the 7 to 10 seed. TEAM basketball no hero ball will win championships. All hands on deck, chip on your shoulder will make SHU basketball legendary. Time will tell.

With the advent of NIL SH is going to find signing the top four star players , let alone a five star player, more difficult then ever. SH not only has to compete with schools that have a far more attractive athletic infrastructure but now with schools that can pay better and money does talk in the recruiting wars. Will we see more disappointments this year of course we will but I wouldn’t write us out of getting a couple of the top 150 players simply because of Sha and how hard he and his staff work on recruiting.

The reality is that most players are going to select highest bidder. If $ are comparable, then intangibles and facilities will matter.

The only difference between now and then is that the bag that they are handed says NIL on it, and they are going to owe taxes on whatever amounts are declared although I suspect that much like server tips that there is a significant delta there.

Come on we landed Sha, Barrett, Toney-El, Griffin just before they went away. Funds had to be flowing to land those players. 3 McDonald's AA within 5 years of them going away. Only Whitehead since and that required a hiring a guy no one else wanted to be an assistant because we can't just buy top 50 players like everyone else who gets them. I have to believe Blaney and Amaker had access to many more funds than the last 3 coaches had considering big donors going to jail and the money the school sadly had to dish out for the fire.
Could’ve used those guys with NIL!

The only difference between now and then is that the bag that they are handed says NIL on it, and they are going to owe taxes on whatever amounts are declared although I suspect that much like server tips that there is a significant delta there.
If one server at a restaurant gets audited, at some point much of the staff will get audited. I gotta believe if one player comes in with a value of 500K and it's mostly all from legit sources who give the proper paperwork, and another player of perceived equal value isn't even close to reporting that, I gotta believe Uncle Sam will get involved. However I also thought that Uncle Sam turned a blind eye to this for decades. So who knows.

I definitely agree that the game to land players is the same with the exception of the label on the bag of money being handed to players.

Last edited:
It today's transfer world it might.
This. Think about Kadary Richmond. Connecticut would have taken him in a heartbeat, but based upon the relationships he built up in recruiting he wanted to go to Seton Hall.

Small forward Scotty Middleton, a 5-star senior, commits to play men's basketball for Ohio State Buckeyes​

But then you have to rely on everyone transferring which won’t always happen. We can recruit based on hoping everyone is unhappy with their first choice if it wasn’t us.
I'm curious to see how many players will be willing to put up with being unhappy for the NIL money. It might be a new wrinkle in the whole system. For example, a player like Middleton may get recruited over at OSU, have a better playing scenario at SHU should he transfer, but won't be willing to give up NIL money to play for SHU.

Reactions: DIMEDISHA13
But then you have to rely on everyone transferring which won’t always happen. We can recruit based on hoping everyone is unhappy with their first choice if it wasn’t us.
I wouldn’t describe it like that. I just think you do things the right way. You’re honest and attentive with the recruit. When the decision goes against you, you expressed disappointment but let the recruit know that you wish him the best and that you think you’ll have a great college career. There’s no guarantee that he’ll transfer, but if he does you’re in a good position.

it’s the same as leaving a job. You never burn bridges on the way out because it’s a small world and a lot of what happens happens in the margin.

Reactions: Lorbil and Seton75
It hurts to see Middleton’s commitment to OSU repeatedly shown on the ESPN ticker especially when you think what a boost for our program and Sha and his recruiting abilities it would have been if he picked us.

Reactions: pirate AI
It hurts to see Middleton’s commitment to OSU repeatedly shown on the ESPN ticker especially when you think what a boost for our program and Sha and his recruiting abilities it would have been if he picked us.

To play Devil's Advocate, if Scotty picked us I doubt ESPN would have bothered to put it on their ticker in the first place. But your point is noted; the attention would have been nice.

To play Devil's Advocate, if Scotty picked us I doubt ESPN would have bothered to put it on their ticker in the first place. But your point is noted; the attention would have been nice.
Under normal circumstances I would agree with you but I think Sha’s Cinderella run in the Tournament has made his name more recognizable and that buys him more media attention and getting a high profile recruit like Middleton makes that newsworthy.

Reactions: pirate AI

I think the biggest factor here is Paul Biancardi is an ESPN employee. Because Middleton announced with Biancardi, it gives them a little shine as having broken the news.

He's also highly ranked in their top 100 recruits. Again, a chance for ESPN to show off its brand.

Seton Hall could have greatly benefitted from Scotty's P.R. acumen -- rarely does a 3 star go to a 5 star based upon off Court performance--

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT