ADVERTISEMENT

Seton Hall Scouting Report

This is a good summation on the individual players, although Harris hasn’t played a minute.

Davis was arguably the most efficient offensive player last year too and missed the second game with UConn.

While SHU is a better offensive team than last year – and will be if Dawes/Addae-Wusu are out of their funk – it’s much worse defensively. And one has not been good enough to offset the other in the 5 power conference games so far, thus the 1-4 record. Look at the 3PT% shooting in those 5 games against power conference teams. Defensively it’s scary and consistently awful. Newton, Spencer and Karaban could go nuts.

USC = 10/23
Iowa = 7/19
Baylor = 10/22
Rutgers = 12/24
Missouri = 12/24

Plus SHU has had 1 really good shooting game, that’s it. They would have to replicate what they did at Missouri to have any chance to play with Connecticut.

Reactions: Section112
Someone explain offensive tempo
  • 131st in offensive tempo (16.9 seconds/possession)
Does that just measure how much time of each possession before taking a shot?
Google didn't turn up anything for me on offensive tempo

Thanks..... I was focusing on the stats provided by CL2 and was trying to understand what the ranking of 133 tells me. Can't look at offensive tempo and say whether it is bad or good in and of itself without looking at efficiency. Ranking the offensive tempo stat by itself doesn't make sense to me. We are ranked 133.... 16.9 seconds so #1 in offensive tempo is what???

Detailed analysis by Boneyard poster Hey Adrien! Link to The Boneyard thread:
Seton Hall Scouting Report
It's a good read.
I expect our bigs will do a decent job containing Clingan… I think that Karaban is going to be a matchup nightmare for us. I expect him to have 7-8 good looks from 3 and atleast half of those will be wide open on bad switches. If he’s on, then we don’t stand a chance. If he’s having an off night then we have ourself a ball game

Thanks..... I was focusing on the stats provided by CL2 and was trying to understand what the ranking of 133 tells me. Can't look at offensive tempo and say whether it is bad or good in and of itself without looking at efficiency. Ranking the offensive tempo stat by itself doesn't make sense to me. We are ranked 133.... 16.9 seconds so #1 in offensive tempo is what???
The rankings are Ken Pom's and based on all 363 D-1 teams.

Offensive tempo is but more of a style or efficiency indicator. The rankings are based on all 363 D-1 teams from lowest to highest. The profile states we are 131st in Offensive Tempo at 16.9 seconds. They mixed the terminology a bit. Really we are 131st in Average Time per Offensive Possession (16.9).

Adjusted Offensive Tempo, per KP, is the number of possessions per 40 minutes. In Tempo, we are ranked 252nd with 67.6. This means 251 teams average more possessions than we do. These numbers don't mean much by themselves but when you look at a team's complete profile, you can draw some conclusions on the style of play and overall effectiveness of a team.

The rankings are Ken Pom's and based on all 363 D-1 teams.

Offensive tempo is but more of a style or efficiency indicator. The rankings are based on all 363 D-1 teams from lowest to highest. The profile states we are 131st in Offensive Tempo at 16.9 seconds. They mixed the terminology a bit. Really we are 131st in Average Time per Offensive Possession (16.9).

Adjusted Offensive Tempo, per KP, is the number of possessions per 40 minutes. In Tempo, we are ranked 252nd with 67.6. This means 251 teams average more possessions than we do. These numbers don't mean much by themselves but when you look at a team's complete profile, you can draw some conclusions on the style of play and overall effectiveness of a team.
Thanks... for helping me better understand. I am a bit in the dark with all the stats / Ken Poms and the like. I would not thrive in the Yankee organization.....

Reactions: Fishjam
Who would have thought a Sha coached team would have better offensive efficiency vs. defensive efficiency. Alone both numbers are not impressive but the fact that Sha is so focused defensively makes you wonder about the construction of this roster. I know NIL played a big role but Dawes continues to be a liability unless he can score 20 a game efficiently. Also reading this makes you wonder why we can't run some plays for Dre to shoot the 3 just a little more at 38%. Good write up overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT