ADVERTISEMENT

Softball Votes Alex Rabbetts as 2016 Captain

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Pirates' backstop will look to lead the way in the upcoming offseason and beyond for the rising Pirates
dot.gif

spacer.gif
11086062.jpeg

Rabbetts appeared in 39 games in the 2015 season, rotating between catcher and designated hitter.
spacer.gif

May 16, 2015

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. - Following the program's outstanding 2015 season and its first appearance in the BIG EAST Championship final in 10 years, Seton Hall softball head coach Paige Smith decided to do something for the first time in her 11 years of coaching - allow the players to select the Pirates' captain for the 2016 season. Just as she has been expected to anchor the pitching staff behind the plate throughout her career, catcher Alex Rabbetts (Corona, Calif.) won the votes of her fellow teammates and will lead the team during the upcoming year.

"It means so much to receive this recognition from my own teammates," Rabbetts said. "We are ready to work towards an even bigger year ahead. After I was voted as a team captain, I immediately made the goal for next season, and that is to win the BIG EAST next season."

Hammering three home runs on the season, Rabbetts started in 29 of the 39 games she appeared in during the 2015 campaign. She finished the year with 21 hits to go along with 10 RBIs while also compiling a .402 slugging and a .354 on-base percentage. On top of being a reliable backstop, Rabbetts has been known to bring a power surge to a starting line-up. In 2014, she was just the 13th player in Seton Hall's history to notch two homers in one game.

"I could not be happier with the selection of Alex by the team to be our captain," Smith said. "I am fully confident that she will do very well in this role. She is a natural leader and has weathered the highs and lows throughout her career with maturity and strength. A team led by Alex has endless possibilities."

Saying goodbye to a seven-member senior class and left fielder Jackie DiPietro (Horsham Pa.), who will not play in 2016 due to her acceptance into the physical therapy program at Seton Hall, will not be an easy task for the Pirates, but they will carry the experiences of playing for a conference title this year with them for the future.

"We know that it's going to take everything we have to hoist a BIG EAST title," Rabbetts said. "The work towards next spring begins right now, and I can't wait to lead this program."

http://www.shupirates.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/051615aaa.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT