ADVERTISEMENT

The $2 million deal that rocked basketball

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Cliff Omoruyi reportedly also had a two million dollar offer

The amounts that these "student"-athletes are now receiving seems unsustainable year after year, but who knows. Just a few months ago people here were saying a two million dollar war chest was enough to sustain a competitive team on a yearly basis. Now we are seeing that one athlete alone is garnering that type of pay day for a single season.

Reactions: HallX2
I’m wondering how this is playing out with football rosters
I don't believe so much when it comes to these figures, but the top football schools have to be paying the top tier quarterbacks ridiculous amounts of money. It's the most important position, by far, the most difficult to fill, the one with probably the biggest "drop" between a high-level starter and a backup at most places, and in the sport that dwarfs basketball when it comes to dollars.

And I think in certain markets there are probably college QBs who actually have "real" NIL value when it comes to branding etc.

Cliff Omoruyi reportedly also had a two million dollar offer

The amounts that these "student"-athletes are now receiving seems unsustainable year after year, but who knows. Just a few months ago people here were saying a two million dollar war chest was enough to sustain a competitive team on a yearly basis. Now we are seeing that one athlete alone is garnering that type of pay day for a single season.i

Hard to imagine it being sustainable year after year.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Also, hard to believe these numbers. Don't always trust information from agents and the type that cannot be verified.

If Texas A&M can pay $75 million to get rid of a football coach ,without blinking and then pay another one similar money at the same time, why can’t a player get two million?? There is big money out there chasing wins. Just because we’re struggling with NIL doesn’t mean it fazes schools with wealthy boosters who love their teams.

Hard to imagine it being sustainable year after year.

For UMich? The Texas schools? Bama? UGA? UCLA? Oregon? .... No it's not.

Seton Hall? Yes it is.

So there is one plausible outcome to all of this....

This number seems like total BS and the claim that it's in a contract is more unbelievable.
Fact - a contract cannot stipulate that you have to play for a specific university - NCAA VIOLATION
Fact
- a player who signs a contract can transfer without playing one minute, and the guarantor would be on the hook for the money. Schools have been burned already multiple times, thus many collectives don't offer contracts to athletes.

"Osobor's $2 million deal is also on a legitimate contract that's been verified by third-party members." Names please?

Last edited:
There is another thing at work here. Osobor is a foreign student here on a student visa. The money for this cannot come from the US or he has violated the terms of his visa. This NIL is coming from outside the country. The rules may be different for this.

I’m wondering how this is playing out with football rosters
I don't know the answer, but I wonder if you get more bang for your buck in basketball given the roster sizes and the impact a single top player can have.

There is another thing at work here. Osobor is a foreign student here on a student visa. The money for this cannot come from the US or he has violated the terms of his visa. This NIL is coming from outside the country. The rules may be different for this.
Hey Corny, haven't seen you here for a while.

your statement is not actually correct. Foreign nationals in the US on a student visa can receive money, they just can't earn it in the US. So say a foreign student athlete becomes part of a Nike group of athletes receiving NIL. They can receive an unlimited amount of money and not violate their visa, so long as they take no affirmative action in the US. For example even something as minor as or retweeting could be considered "earning in the US." It's not the receipt of money that's problematic for the student visa status, it's actually working while in the US.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT