ADVERTISEMENT

The best player in any sport today is

Got to go with Ma Long (The Dragon)- has dominated table tennis for several years. ;)

Last edited:
He’s not even the best player in football.

1. Aaron Donald, Los Angeles Rams

Highest ranking: 1 | Lowest ranking: 4

For the second straight year, Donald earned more first-place votes than any player regardless of position.

"I would put a space between him and all the defensive tackles or edge guys, honestly," an AFC scout said. "He's by himself."

Yes, someone voted Donald fourth. That particular voter prioritized youth and upside. But Donald has shown zero signs of slowing down at age 30. His 24.2% pass-rush win rate leads all defensive tackles by a wide margin, and that's with facing a double-team on 219 of his 314 rushes, the most in the league. Donald created 30 incompletions, second to edge rusher T.J. Watt.

"You're not stopping him," an NFC exec said. "[You] just hope to get the ball out fast."

Reactions: Hallsome
Do you honestly think any GM would take him over Mahomes?
My comment wasn't about the most valuable player in the league it was about the best.

There are probably 5-10 or more QB's that most GM's would take over Donald. But that doesn't mean the NFL players who voted Donald two years running the best player in the league are wrong.

Ohtani is best Japanese player since .Ichiro.I think this season may be his career high in home runs.MLB pitchers will be more effective next year like they did with Judge and Alfonso.

Understandably not a big sport on this site but thinking it's got to be Djokovic. If he wins tomorrow he ties Rafa and Federer with 20 Grand Slam titles. He'd also be the first player to win the first 3 Grand Slams of the year since 1969. He is red hot, en Fuego!🔥🎾 I'm not a fan at all, and will be rooting for Berrettini tomorrow but you got to respect his dominance right now.

In the French Open he played a very talented young player Stefanos Tsitsipas #4 in the world who was playing aggressive, marvelous tennis and looked almost unbeatable. Djokovic got down 2 sets and came back to beat him. At the end of the match you could see the steel and focus in Djokovic's eyes, looking off like he was 100 miles away, almost scary to see... and you knew he was so locked in, he wouldn't be beaten.

Ohtani is best Japanese player since .Ichiro.I think this season may be his career high in home runs.MLB pitchers will be more effective next year like they did with Judge and Alfonso.

Not only a career-high in home runs but a single-season record for any Japanese-born player in MLB. The old record was Hideki Matsui's 31.

It's hard to believe because of injury he's never had more than 425 plate appearances in a season.

Reactions: Hallsome
As much as I hate to say it, isn't TB12 still playing and recently won a SB MVP. Until he retires, he is the GOAT.

How can you say that on the same same day when Djokovic won his third of four legs toward a 2021 Grand Slam? I don’t even follow tennis but I know that no athlete in the world is on his level.

Come Olympics time we may have a contender or 2

Problem with the Olympics is that in the sports like gymnastics and track, even though they are competing regularly, all of their training is pointed toward something every four (or in this case five) years. It’s hard to compare that against people competing year after year without any dips in their schedule.

How can you say that on the same same day when Djokovic won his third of four legs toward a 2021 Grand Slam? I don’t even follow tennis but I know that no athlete in the world is on his level.

Tom Brady is an all time great and the fact that he won another Super Bowl at his age is phenomenal! However he is absolutely not best player in any sport today. Actually not even in his sport. I think flconticello may have misunderstand the question that it's not "all time", it's in this snapshot of time who's the best. Like you (and I am a big tennis fan) I think it's not even close how dominant Djokovic is. I root against him virtually every time but I can't deny how damn good he is. 🎾 💪👊

Not that I'll convert anyone but those who don't follow tennis closely should see the enormous amount of athleticism, mental toughness and focus it requires to dominate at that level. It's non stop action, quick reflexes, mental and physical stamina and focus for sometimes over 4 hours. One slip, loss of your cool or waiver of confidence even for a minute can cost you a match. I think with all the required skill sets top tennis players are very under appreciated as athletes.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Being a long suffering Mets and KC Chiefs fan, I'd go with DeGrom over Mahomes. Mahomes might have been tied with DeGrom if he hadn't suffered several injuries, his stats were amazing prior to his first injury. Happy that both my teams have players in the conversation.

I can count on one hand the number of tennis matches I've watched in my life, but if lloyde feels this strongly about something that's good enough for me. Casting my vote for Novak Djokovic.

I can count on one hand the number of tennis matches I've watched in my life, but if lloyde feels this strongly about something that's good enough for me. Casting my vote for Novak Djokovic.

Well…. It’s not so much feeling strongly as much as it is the guy’s record speaks for itself. He’s got it going both currently (one tournament left for a grand slam) and career-wise (20 grand slams and No. 1 in the world for something like 330 weeks overall). Impossible to top that.

So if I said Kevin Martin who is considered the greatest curler of all time and won 15 grand slams in his sport would you take that seriously? Tennis is no longer a mainstream sport. I couldn’t name 3 current players so excuse me if I didn’t consider a tennis player. Nothing against the sport which is an athletically demanding sport, I just don’t pay attention to it.

So if I said Kevin Martin who is considered the greatest curler of all time and won 15 grand slams in his sport would you take that seriously? Tennis is no longer a mainstream sport. I couldn’t name 3 current players so excuse me if I didn’t consider a tennis player. Nothing against the sport which is an athletically demanding sport, I just don’t pay attention to it.

So just because you don’t watch, it’s not mainstream?

And I don’t watch it either, but I most certainly acknowledge it as mainstream. Come on, man!

if you cant name federer, djokovic, and nadal then i cant imagine you know much of anything as it relates to sports

Of course it's not on the level of football, basketball or baseball in the US, but tennis is enormously popular and most certainly mainstream. Turn on the news and on the sports broadcasts the major tournaments are always a top feature. Comparing its current dominant athlete to someone who does curling is just plain silly. 🤪

Just thinking of huge sports events the US Open 🎾is the world’s best attended annual sporting event and usually brings in more than 700,000 spectators during the 2 weeks of the tournament and generates up to $400m in profits!

if you cant name federer, djokovic, and nadal then i cant imagine you know much of anything as it relates to sports
I can name the entire starting lineups of Giants, Yankees and Knicks. I don’t follow tennis at all. I can’t make a player on the a rangers this year either and I used to love NHL. I couldn’t tell you who the best player in the league is today. I do know who the SHU Pirates have on their roster and who they are recruiting. Priorities.

I can name the entire starting lineups of Giants, Yankees and Knicks. I don’t follow tennis at all. I can’t make a player on the a rangers this year either and I used to love NHL. I couldn’t tell you who the best player in the league is today. I do know who the SHU Pirates have on their roster and who they are recruiting. Priorities.
so just because you follow only 3 teams , sports like tennis cant be taken seriously?

sounds to me like you know nada

Reactions: lloyde dobler
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT