ADVERTISEMENT

This is not the same team

sami

All World
Jun 1, 2001
Anyone who says dumb stuff like “where are all the naysayers” and “how about Dawes now” just won’t get it. This is a different pirates team than just 3 weeks ago. I’ll take that version of Dawes any day. Like any player, he made some mistakes. But he played under control for the most part and took good shots.

But the defense, the movement, everything has changed. We can be a solid team playing this brand of basketball.

I love that he played backups, bench contributed significant minutes. They shut down Kolek. They played with hustle. Loved it.

hustle and intensity is winning these games on both ends of the floor, especially defense. i guess the old school coaching Sha does is resonating with the players after all despite what some posters fake sources are saying.

those are two games vs ranked teams that had major advantages in the frontcourt which is our biggest weakness. and we won them both.

I think the sharing of the ball offensively has become infectious on the defensive end. There is very little of looking lost defensively.

Additionally, when the guys don’t over help on the defensive side it makes a HUGE difference.

Feel like Sha is finally moving away from double teaming way out on the top of the key. Thank God.

Reactions: Bluebeard
It's a huge change. The way they're playing on both ends is more cohesive and purposeful. The defensive help, recovery, and floor coverage is much better than it was when they were running around like chickens with their heads cut-off leading the perimeter wide open. This team looks more like Sha's St. Peter's team in the NCAAT.

The offense is more deliberate and purposeful even in the slower pace. There's a lot more patience and movement. And Richmond is rotating around more. In fact, it's better slower now. When they speed up now there are issues, ironically. That was on display today.

This started with the Connecticut game and has now become more consistent. The game at Missouri was a bit more all resulting from hot shooting.

I thought the bench players added a good deal to the equation today. We can't say that any of them really hurt the team while on the court. They held their own against a very good team. They made contributions on both ends. This could be important moving forward. Now they have to do it on the road too. I'm hoping Brown can see some minutes in certain situations.

It’s almost as if writing off any team 9 games into a 31 game season is premature. Novel concept, I know.

This isn’t a gotcha moment, but there were more than a few people who reacted short sightedly and emotionally after the Rutgers loss. Calling this a lost season and some real winners calling for Sha’s job (lmao)

The turnaround has been incredible and hopefully pirate nation continues to rally around this team.

hustle and intensity is winning these games on both ends of the floor, especially defense. i guess the old school coaching Sha does is resonating with the players after all despite what some posters fake sources are saying.

those are two games vs ranked teams that had major advantages in the frontcourt which is our biggest weakness. and we won them both.
This is a team full of junk yard dogs. Guys who will out hustle, out muscle, and out tough their opponents. Combine that with decent skill and execution, and you’ll win a lot of games at the college level.

This is a team full of junk yard dogs. Guys who will out hustle, out muscle, and out tough their opponents. Combine that with decent skill and execution, and you’ll win a lot of games at the college level.
I think most every Big East team or high major squad has guys who compete this way, sometimes quite often. "Junk yard dogs" or whatever nickname you want to use. Few are in the category of a Sampson-coached Houston team that seems to do it annually across the roster, night in, night out.

I said it earlier in the year when we were coming off the bad OOC. There are going to be games where our guards/wings shoot well where we will knock off superior teams and be able to win. That's how the BE works and how most high major conferences work. Dawes today going 7/10 and 4/5 from 3. Dre 5/9 with what I thought was the game winning shot (he misses that, I think we lose IMO). You add that to what one can reasonably (emphasize reasonably) expect from KR -- both the good and the bad -- we have a shot at beating people. Getting 12 points from our bench on top of that is icing on the cake for this group.

What I've always questioned, and still question, is the ability to do the above consistently against a Big East schedule. That didn't seem likely from past performance or based on the OOC results. But we are obviously trending there now with the unexpected 3-1 start. Salvaged the season. Now hopefully we can make something of it.

I think most every Big East team or high major squad has guys who compete this way, sometimes quite often. "Junk yard dogs" or whatever nickname you want to use. Few are in the category of a Sampson-coached Houston team that seems to do it annually across the roster, night in, night out.

I said it earlier in the year when we were coming off the bad OOC. There are going to be games where our guards/wings shoot well where we will knock off superior teams and be able to win. That's how the BE works and how most high major conferences work. Dawes today going 7/10 and 4/5 from 3. Dre 5/9 with what I thought was the game winning shot (he misses that, I think we lose IMO). You add that to what one can reasonably (emphasize reasonably) expect from KR -- both the good and the bad -- we have a shot at beating people. Getting 12 points from our bench on top of that is icing on the cake for this group.

What I've always questioned, and still question, is the ability to do the above consistently against a Big East schedule. That didn't seem likely from past performance or based on the OOC results. But we are obviously trending there now with the unexpected 3-1 start. Salvaged the season. Now hopefully we can make something of it.
Agreed. I think the question of whether this team *can* be very successful has been answered with a definitive yes.

Now it shifts to will they be consistent enough to make it a reality? They’ve put together 4 very impressive performances in a 5 game stretch. If they can keep up that pace or close to it, this team will make a lot of noise.

Next step in the process of becoming a tournament team is to master the ability to close out games when you’ve got a lead in the final minutes of a game. Love the way this team has shown improvement that lets everyone know we’re not easy to beat.

Reactions: Section112

And, hopefully, the players seeing that this pays off with wins, keeps up the intensity and focus.

You can preach all you want about hard work, effort and defense…but when it pays off in wins…BIG wins…that’s usually when it really sinks in, and can become a team’s identity that they embrace.

Let’s hope

Guys are definitely getting better under our coach. Wusu is growing on me, love his toughness and the way he goes to the rim. He changed big time he wasn’t attacking the basket in OCC. Our guys are taking on the coaches personality, but we should temper our current expectations, long season lots of bumps in the road coming but we know now we can play with the best teams.

What I want to see is more of Dawes running off screens for catch and shoot 3's and much less of his one on one pull back three-point attempts. Those have been driving me crazy since he came here. As they are reduced his % increases. Set more screens/picks for him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT