ADVERTISEMENT

Thompson to visit Cuse now

Taurean Thompson enjoyed his unofficial visit to Syracuse over the weekend and could visit Michigan State next.

"Taurean's visit went well to Syracuse," Brewster (N.H.) Academy coach Jason Smith told SNY.tv. "He enjoyed it very much."

Smith said the 6-foot-10 Thompson has "No other visits scheduled at this point," but that "Michigan State has expressed interest in him taking an official."

The Spartans recently offered Thompson a scholarship.

The Class of 2016 big man is also considering UConn, Georgetown, Seton Hall and Providence, among others. The early signing period ends May 13.

"He has no decision date planned at this time," Smith said. "He will discuss his next step with his mother."

His mother, Sherese Piper, was not immediately available for comment.

Thompson visited Syracuse on a busy weekend in which Class of 2017 targets Hamidou Diallo, Quade Green and Jordan Tucker all visited, and Colorado State transfer John Gillon committed to the Orange.

"I hear from them a lot," he said of Syracuse at the Jordan Brand Classic. "I see myself fitting in well. Coach [Jim Boeheim] tells me where he's going to place me in the offense, just plans for me in the future, how he's going to use me offensively and defensively. And it's all sounding good. So I just have to compare the pros and cons and once I get all of them I'll make my decision."

Asked at the Jordan Brand Classic if he's excited to getting it over with, Thompson said, "Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it....When it feels right and I get all the pros and cons in."

Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiti...racuse-michigan-state-could-be-next/175815048

Because both are centers, Thompson would be competing with Moyer for minutes, he might not get as many minutes as he would like as a freshman, but he would start as a sophomore for sure.

There is a lot of flexibility in lineups in today's basketball, especially when your team plays zone. I believe i recall Lydon playing the "center" position for you for large portions during tournament games. Therefore, to try to separate the front court into "centers" and "forwards" and pretend they are mutually exclusive when it comes to playing time, is just silly. Thompson can play at the 4 or 5, so if Coleman and Chukwu are getting minutes at the 5, they are eating into possible minutes.

80 minutes are available in the front court. Roberson and Lydon will play about 65 of those minutes. The rest of the 15 minutes will be divided between Coleman, Chukwu, Moyer, and TT. It's not hard to see that TT will not make an appearance in about half of their conference games.

Year Two, if Lydon leaves and Cuse doesn't land another top 50 big then TT should receive more minutes. Although, I think Moyer and Chukwu would start.

Reactions: Joe_T
When is Hopkins expected to take over? You would think that losing kids to cuse would slow or stop when boeheim retires. Hopkins couldn't even beat Gtown or SJU during his 9 game stint.

Because both are centers, Thompson would be competing with Moyer for minutes, he might not get as many minutes as he would like as a freshman, but he would start as a sophomore for sure.
On paper maybe he would his soph year, but if history is any indication, it will certainly be easier for Cuse to recruit over him than it will be for The Hall, so nothing is guaranteed. Seems to me if this kid can be as good as some speculate, he will get solid minutes at The Hall next year at the 4 and 5. Would allow KW to only need Anthony if there were major foul trouble. Could also allow Delgado to play some minutes at the 4 for once to see what he can do there.

In my mind it's certainly not a do or die situation right now, but he is a much more important recruit for The Hall than Cuse to help KW and staff keep the momentum going off last years great run in the BET and the couple solid recruits already committed for the next 2 years.

There is a lot of flexibility in lineups in today's basketball, especially when your team plays zone. I believe i recall Lydon playing the "center" position for you for large portions during tournament games. Therefore, to try to separate the front court into "centers" and "forwards" and pretend they are mutually exclusive when it comes to playing time, is just silly. Thompson can play at the 4 or 5, so if Coleman and Chukwu are getting minutes at the 5, they are eating into possible minutes.

80 minutes are available in the front court. Roberson and Lydon will play about 65 of those minutes. The rest of the 15 minutes will be divided between Coleman, Chukwu, Moyer, and TT. It's not hard to see that TT will not make an appearance in about half of their conference games.

Year Two, if Lydon leaves and Cuse doesn't land another top 50 big then TT should receive more minutes. Although, I think Moyer and Chukwu would start.

Lydon played the center out of desperation this year, we really didn't have anything at the center position. Coleman was coming off knee surgery, and wasn't giving us much on either end. You have to figure another year in his recovery, he will be better next year, and with a 7'2 transfer coming in, we will be better at center next year.

When is Hopkins expected to take over? You would think that losing kids to cuse would slow or stop when boeheim retires. Hopkins couldn't even beat Gtown or SJU during his 9 game stint.

Its unfair to used that 9 game stint against Hopkins, he is coaching someone elses team, I don't know what kind of coach Hopkins is going to be, but I doubt a recruit is going to use that stint against him.

Its unfair to used that 9 game stint against Hopkins, he is coaching someone elses team, I don't know what kind of coach Hopkins is going to be, but I doubt a recruit is going to use that stint against him.
Well it was fair when Jimmy B was crying to the committee about that group of games and why his team should be invited to the Tourney. But I guess it's not fair to hold that against Hopkins? Just bustin your balls...

Well it was fair when Jimmy B was crying to the committee about that group of games and why his team should be invited to the Tourney. But I guess it's not fair to hold that against Hopkins? Just bustin your balls...

That had nothing to do with why Syracuse made the tournament.

Cuse won 20 games and beat duke, unc and nd. They deserved the bid. The committee reacting to Boeheim's suspension as it did was disgraceful even for the ncaa. But cuse deserved their bid no question.

19-13. With 13 losses no team should get in the NCAA, should be hoping to get in the NIT.

Its all about playing in the pros and making money as soon as possible. Playing time and exposure speeds that up.

And playing time with a perennial power speeds that up even faster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT