ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Frazier confronted Gary Cohen over Mets criticism: ‘He got pissed’

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Matt Ehalt

Todd Frazier found legendary Mets voice Gary Cohen to be too negative for his liking.

The former Mets third baseman shared that he confronted the SNY play-by-player over what he perceived to be critical analysis and implored Cohen to “start rooting” for the team.

“People kept telling me back home, this guy is cutting you up, he’s cutting the Mets up. I’m like, ‘Ah, that’s what they do, you know?'” Frazier said on “Foul Territory” earlier this week. “I start looking into it. Players are like, ‘He’s always done this. Man, We can’t stand it.’

“I went up to him one time and said, ‘Gary, I gotta talk to you man.’ I said, ‘What the heck is going on here, dude? I thought you’re a Mets fan.’ He’s like, ‘I am,’ and he kind of got pissed off at me and I said, ‘Well, start rooting for us.’”

Cohen is a through-and-through Mets fan and there are few that would question his loyalty to the team.

However, unlike some announcers, Cohen is not a homer on-air and doesn’t just root blindly for the Mets. Cohen, along with Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling, stand out as a broadcasting crew for their ability to be critical when necessary, which has often been the case with the Mets.

Frazier played for the Mets during the 2018-20 seasons before being shipped to Texas, and only enjoyed team success in Flushing during the 2019 season.

He also played for the Reds, White Sox and Yankees prior to a brief 66-game stint with the Yankees during the 2017 season, and the New York market is known for being tougher on players than others.

It seemed Frazier decided to stand up for his teammates when he broached the topic with Cohen.

“We had our conversations back and forth. It was a good 10, five-minute conversation,” Frazier said. “It was actually in front of some players, too, so actually it was in front of people. We got a newfound respect for what he does and what I do. It was fine after that. We’re both men. If we have a problem, we go straight to the source, and that’s how I’ve been raised. I felt better about it, and I hope he did too.

“It just gets in the back of his mind, that, you know, we’re listening as well, there’s people we got, families at home listening too. You don’t always have to knock us down, and that was part of the conversation, and I hope he respected me for what I said and I respected him for his comments back.”

It’s really why you have to love Cohen. I feel spoiled because I listen to him year round with the Mets and Seton Hall.

He calls it as he sees it and I like hearing the “shoulds” the Mets or Seton Hall missed out on and the mistakes because as a fan, I’m thinking the same thing.

It’s really why you have to love Cohen. I feel spoiled because I listen to him year round with the Mets and Seton Hall.

He calls it as he sees it and I like hearing the “shoulds” the Mets or Seton Hall missed out on and the mistakes because as a fan, I’m thinking the same thing.
Took me time to get to like Cohen. I still don't feel he has the passion that Warner Fusselle had, but he is as good as there is in the business.

By Matt Ehalt

Todd Frazier found legendary Mets voice Gary Cohen to be too negative for his liking.

The former Mets third baseman shared that he confronted the SNY play-by-player over what he perceived to be critical analysis and implored Cohen to “start rooting” for the team.

“People kept telling me back home, this guy is cutting you up, he’s cutting the Mets up. I’m like, ‘Ah, that’s what they do, you know?'” Frazier said on “Foul Territory” earlier this week. “I start looking into it. Players are like, ‘He’s always done this. Man, We can’t stand it.’

“I went up to him one time and said, ‘Gary, I gotta talk to you man.’ I said, ‘What the heck is going on here, dude? I thought you’re a Mets fan.’ He’s like, ‘I am,’ and he kind of got pissed off at me and I said, ‘Well, start rooting for us.’”

Cohen is a through-and-through Mets fan and there are few that would question his loyalty to the team.

However, unlike some announcers, Cohen is not a homer on-air and doesn’t just root blindly for the Mets. Cohen, along with Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling, stand out as a broadcasting crew for their ability to be critical when necessary, which has often been the case with the Mets.

Frazier played for the Mets during the 2018-20 seasons before being shipped to Texas, and only enjoyed team success in Flushing during the 2019 season.

He also played for the Reds, White Sox and Yankees prior to a brief 66-game stint with the Yankees during the 2017 season, and the New York market is known for being tougher on players than others.

It seemed Frazier decided to stand up for his teammates when he broached the topic with Cohen.

“We had our conversations back and forth. It was a good 10, five-minute conversation,” Frazier said. “It was actually in front of some players, too, so actually it was in front of people. We got a newfound respect for what he does and what I do. It was fine after that. We’re both men. If we have a problem, we go straight to the source, and that’s how I’ve been raised. I felt better about it, and I hope he did too.

“It just gets in the back of his mind, that, you know, we’re listening as well, there’s people we got, families at home listening too. You don’t always have to knock us down, and that was part of the conversation, and I hope he respected me for what I said and I respected him for his comments back.”
Todd Frazier and his knucklehead friends are clueless if they think Gary dislikes the Mets. He's a fan and not a blatant homer. And that's admirable.

I always found listening to broadcasts of the game on the radio very stressful & aggravating until Fuselle came along. Even though he was very excited, he had the ability to make you feel like your grandfather was explaining the play by play to you. Similar to John Sterling with the Yankees.

Reactions: Bluebeard
The willingness to criticize the Mets when appropriate is exactly what's so refreshing about their broadcast team. It's so much better to listen to than the shameless homers everyone else puts in their broadcast booths.

Reactions: Halldan1
Now that Todd is working for YES, I'm sure he feels compelled to kowtow to the company line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT