ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Powell

We Seton Hall fans have grown very comfortable cheering on our Powells. Hoping Tyler joins the line in South Orange. Best of luck with your decision.

That’s right... who can forget Ken Powell from PJ’s first team. From California, no less!

Reactions: Seton75
Tyler... welcome to Seton Hall and The Big East Conference. You now have a chance to maximize your academic and basketball talent at the same time. I’m really looking forward to seeing you play. Thanks for choosing Seton Hall!!!!

Definitely like what I see in limited footage. Solidly built and has some physicality. Looks like he's got natural scoring ability at all levels including accuracy from 3. Plays hard and hustles. Didn't see much to show his ball‐handling skills.

Hope he comes to Seton Hall.

Definitely like what I see in limited footage. Solidly built and has some physicality. Looks like he's got natural scoring ability at all levels including accuracy from 3. Plays hard and hustles. Didn't see much to show his ball‐handling skills.

Hope he comes to Seton Hall.

Pookie still dishing assists!

Tyler hope to see you in Pirate Blue!

Very excited about this potential commitment, hope we get good news tonight. Who was the lead recruiter? Woodward? We don't typically get many players from the west coast these days.

Also, wondering why there were so few offers for Powell. 247 doesn't even list any other teams aside from Seton Hall. I saw another poster mentioned Nevada and Pepperdine but that's still not much for the talent I see in these clips.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Pookie memory, hadn't been on campus in yrs. Was probably early 90s but not sure. I get to campus for a wedding, have some time to kill. Go to student center where I worked, entering from the side entrance by what was the rec room pool room when I was there. Before I get to the stairs, pookie and lu exit. I know they were never on the same team and assume pookie had dropped by to visit. Thats the long and short of it...
They were the very long and short of it. :)

Very excited about this potential commitment, hope we get good news tonight. Who was the lead recruiter? Woodward? We don't typically get many players from the west coast these days.

Also, wondering why there were so few offers for Powell. 247 doesn't even list any other teams aside from Seton Hall. I saw another poster mentioned Nevada and Pepperdine but that's still not much for the talent I see in these clips.
i was wondering this. seems odd. im guessing a lot of these guys just dont have updated pages

Tyler will be deciding tomorrow and SHU is in very good shape with him. Let's do all possible to welcome him to South Orange.

6-5 Wing with big time potential.
Great to see us land a kid from California!

Just a few comments for the constant whiners who complain about the lack of Top 75 recruits: Willard has proven to be an excellent evaluator of kids who work hard, want to learn, and hang around long enough to bring seasoned leadership to his teams. Our 2020-21 team features Mamu and Rhoden, both 3-Star recruits and neither ranked in the top 150 of their class. I'm certain many of the Blue Blood schools would love to have a player with the maturity and skill sets that these two players possess. Seton Hall will not be a perennial top 10 school, however, I can see us being in the top 25 most seasons. I'm very happy with the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes and predict that Ngandu will be the diamond in the rough. Cheers to KW and the Pirate staff!

Just a few comments for the constant whiners who complain about the lack of Top 75 recruits: Willard has proven to be an excellent evaluator of kids who work hard, want to learn, and hang around long enough to bring seasoned leadership to his teams. Our 2020-21 team features Mamu and Rhoden, both 3-Star recruits and neither ranked in the top 150 of their class. I'm certain many of the Blue Blood schools would love to have a player with the maturity and skill sets that these two players possess. Seton Hall will not be a perennial top 10 school, however, I can see us being in the top 25 most seasons. I'm very happy with the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes and predict that Ngandu will be the diamond in the rough. Cheers to KW and the Pirate staff!
Sandro was in the states for one calendar hs/prep basketball season...happened to get placed on q consensus top 2 or 3 program...rj barrett was on that roster andrew nehmbred was on the roster, 3 other kids signed to div I in fall of 2016. If sandro has more seasons in states he would have been a top 100 recruit

I thought certain rankings at the time had both Sandro and Rhoden in the top 150. Either way I don't disagree with the premise of rankings being sometimes irrelevant to a degree once you get out of the top 50 or so.

Reactions: Hallsome

Sofp! Tell em all!

The future of the Program is starting to shape up beyond the 20/21 season.

21/22 we'll be led by seniors Rhoden and Molson but they'll be supported by these guys who will make up the core of the team beyond that.

Is this good enough? Where should we look to add with our 3 2021 scholarships? What would be the ideal type of transfer to bring in to supplement this group?

Guards - Conway, Long
SF - Powell, Stevens
PF - Samuel, Jackson
C - Ngandu

Welcome aboard the ship, Tyler! You made a great choice. You will be a part of something special at The Hall and The Big East. Wishing you all the best both on and off the court. Stay safe during these crazy times.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989

I think this was a great post. The greatest risk to Seton Hall isn't that they don't get top 75 kids, but rather that the transfer sit out year will be eliminated and other programs will poach the high quality players that KW develops.

The future of the Program is starting to shape up beyond the 20/21 season.

21/22 we'll be led by seniors Rhoden and Molson but they'll be supported by these guys who will make up the core of the team beyond that.

Is this good enough? Where should we look to add with our 3 2021 scholarships? What would be the ideal type of transfer to bring in to supplement this group?

Guards - Conway, Long
SF - Powell, Stevens
PF - Samuel, Jackson
C - Ngandu
I have to think Seton Hall will pursue a grad transfer point guard to give Conway a year to develop.

Sorry for my ignorance, but did he actually commit or are Nevada and Pepperdine making a late push?

Sorry for my ignorance, but did he actually commit or are Nevada and Pepperdine making a late push?
He is announcing tonight, I think. I've seen people mention 8pm, not sure if it's Eastern or Pacific. Here is the post he recently shared when he announced his commitment date.

Reactions: mikewalsh
Tyler is ranked by 247Sports 133 nationally. But I have been told that if there was an AAU season this summer that ranking was expected to bump up to top 100. He has that kind of upside.
Welcome aboard the Pirate ship! ⚔️

i dont think its whining. its objective that recruiting success = on court success. its why nova isnt just good, they win championships. while we get good system guys with a good coach, we strikeout on top recruiting talent. and talent = success. stop trying to act like people are unreasonable for noticing this.

and rhoden/mamu are great but there are hundreds of talented players every team has their own versions. nobody is upset they missed out on mamu and rhoden. the big east rosters are being assembled just as competitively as ours if not more for other teams.

i think the goal now is tournament success and typically talent gets it done

i dont think its whining. its objective that recruiting success = on court success. its why nova isnt just good, they win championships. while we get good system guys with a good coach, we strikeout on top recruiting talent. and talent = success. stop trying to act like people are unreasonable for noticing this.

and rhoden/mamu are great but there are hundreds of talented players every team has their own versions. nobody is upset they missed out on mamu and rhoden. the big east rosters are being assembled just as competitively as ours if not more for other teams.

i think the goal now is tournament success and typically talent gets it done
A constant drone of disappointment is whining in my opinion. SHU fans need to have expectations consistent with the resources that are available in the athletic department. I've been a fan for nearly 50 years and prefer the success that we've become accustomed to in the last 5 years. Winning the NCAA Tourney should always be the goal, however, being relevant on a consistent basis is my expectation. The Blue Bloods either have an alumni base that are very generous or a state budget that allows for expensive upgrades, Seton Hall has neither.

I would go the other way and add a big , a two way center who can contribute offensively and who can protect the paint and rebound.
The hope is by that year (21-22) that is what Ike will be, If that happens nobody knows? Over the next two years he will have optimal time at the 5 spot and if he can continue to be defensive presence while reducing his fouling and develop a basic consistent hook shot then he Would be great. I’m more on the side of getting a grad transfer PG because that is Debatably the most important piece in willards system and I don’t know if he would want to trust that responsibility with a freshman or a sophomore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT