ADVERTISEMENT

Wachtel Updates

Seton Hall right now only has 3 wins against tournament teams (UConn, Marquette, Butler). Butler could easily fall into the NIT when all is said and done. Providence is another decent win but on the outside looking in right now. Seton Hall also has 6 losses against teams not currently projected to be in the field. Not a good ratio.
What a win tonight!

Most bracketologists have Butler in. Something like 99 last I looked.
You can’t look at whats on Bracket Matrix - the cutoff dates there vary greatly. And about 90 of the 99 people you are looking at are nobodies. Worry more about how they were duped this week at St Patricks. How did that happen, anyway??

What other sport rewards teams with postseason for anything less than their full season performance? I agree we are a better team, but if these guys wanted to be in the NCAA’s they should have played like this all season.
Forgive me. I forgot how important metrics are to selecting post season teams in most sports. And at large teans only exist in tge ncaa. Subjectivity is never in play like it us when the selection comitte fills in the rest of
the brackets

And you know what, equations can be mathematically correct and be judging the wrong criteria.

We will never really know if i am right saying this. But i know i am right. If we had this season ten tears ago and were not considered a lock at this time, you guys would all be screaming bloody murder.

I remember. I was pretty sure we would finish 10th if that was how good we were. Maybe 9th. But we are not that team anymore. THAT matters too. And you don't need a naismith phd to figure that out
In the preseason I picked us 6th. But then after watching a practice I really felt we could be better than that.

Then, the Rutgers fiasco and I thought...so glad I was having surgery at the beginning of the New Year because I was so wrong about this team and if I had to miss games, this was the season to do it.

A BB savant, I am not. Shoulda stuck with my first impression.

In the preseason I picked us 6th. But then after watching a practice I really felt we could be better than that.

Then, the Rutgers fiasco and I thought...so glad I was having surgery at the beginning of the New Year because I was so wrong about this team and if I had to miss games, this was the season to do it.

A BB savant, I am not. Shoulda stuck with my first impression.
You are more patient than me. All i needed was njit.

Forgive me. I forgot how important metrics are to selecting post season teams in most sports. And at large teans only exist in tge ncaa. Subjectivity is never in play like it us when the selection comitte fills in the rest of
the brackets

And you know what, equations can be mathematically correct and be judging the wrong criteria.

We will never really know if i am right saying this. But i know i am right. If we had this season ten tears ago and were not considered a lock at this time, you guys would all be screaming bloody murder.

The world has changed, but we'd know that they're in trouble. I don't know how accurate this is or if it's exactly the old formula, but this site has Seton Hall's RPI at 70.

The thing that really bothers me is in past Big 10 seasons when that conference had literally the same—or worse—OOC records than Seton Hall this year, it meant absolutely nothing to their metrics. It made no sense at all. Their record against nearly every quality team out of conference for 2 years in a row didn’t mean a thing when it came to getting in to the tournament.

I am not going to go through the numbers, but I posted in both ‘21 & ‘22 how miserable the Big 10 was before their conference play and then predicted — correctly — that they would get a lot of teams bounced in the first weekend of the NCAA. It wasn’t rocket science at all

And despite what many posters have said regarding the metrics just being a guide, they’re plastered up on the screen when a team is being considered for the an at-large bid.

Sadly they’re the end-all be-all I think and get weighed heavier each year. We live in a world where a blowout in one game can counter a couple of close wins.

And that’s not how college basketball works.

The thing that really bothers me is in past Big 10 seasons when that conference had literally the same—or worse—OOC records than Seton Hall this year, it meant absolutely nothing to their metrics. It made no sense at all. Their record against nearly every quality team out of conference for 2 years in a row didn’t mean a thing when it came to getting in to the tournament.

I am not going to go through the numbers, but I posted in both ‘21 & ‘22 how miserable the Big 10 was before their conference play and then predicted — correctly — that they would get a lot of teams bounced in the first weekend of the NCAA. It wasn’t rocket science at all

And despite what many posters have said regarding the metrics just being a guide, they’re plastered up on the screen when a team is being considered for the an at-large bid.

Sadly they’re the end-all be-all I think and get weighed heavier each year. We live in a world where a blowout in one game can counter a couple of close wins.

And that’s not how college basketball works.

Listen I agree with a lot of what you wrote. Except the last line. If this is how cbb is being viewed, then (unfortunately) that is now how cbb works.

Listen I agree with a lot of what you wrote. Except the last line. If this is how cbb is being viewed, then (unfortunately) that is now how cbb works.
The protocol to define at large teams changes globally based on net in rpi out doing quad records etc...yes metrics should be a defined process to judge if a team makes an ncaa tourney.

Sorry—what I meant is that it’s pretty evident with the tourney that the metrics need to change.

This isn’t the NBA where players are completely mature and play for a living. These are kids that are mercurial and not consistent.

I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I would love to see the tourney results compared to the kenpom and NET rankings.

I realize you cannot compare NIT outcomes to the NCAA unfortunately, but even the “last 4 out” or the “next 4 out” are probably screwed with the way the metrics work now.

Mid majors are stealing the scene and the way teams win isn’t how the true outcome plays out. ie winning by 30 in a bunch of games doesn’t really tell you the whole story.

It's very possible with the games remaining the Hall clinched the bye at the Garden last night. So many things would have to go wrong the rest of the season for the Pirates not to finish in at least 5th place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT