ADVERTISEMENT

Willard on SHU

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
“I love some of his additions,” former Seton Hall and current Maryland coach Kevin Willard told NJ Advance Media at Big Ten media day in Minneapolis. “I think Kadary and Al and Dylan are going to be one of the best backcourts not only in the Big East but in the country. You add [Holloway’s] defensive pressure with those three guys’ ability to get into the lane and create, I think they’re in a great spot.”

“I love some of his additions,” former Seton Hall and current Maryland coach Kevin Willard told NJ Advance Media at Big Ten media day in Minneapolis. “I think Kadary and Al and Dylan are going to be one of the best backcourts not only in the Big East but in the country. You add [Holloway’s] defensive pressure with those three guys’ ability to get into the lane and create, I think they’re in a great spot.”

Kevin has great affection for SHU and Sha.

Sha is sticking up for his players and there is certainly some motivational strategy that is going on with his comments. He wants his guys to have that "everyone is against us feeling" and is motivating them. This probably started some time ago and now he's gone public with the message. Hopefully they are listening and Sha is in their heads.

I mean that sweet 16 Sha played on while I was at SHU was also predicted to be OKAY but nothing else so it happens

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
So Kevin calling our back court one of the best in the country and we're just gonna nod and say "yeah, what he said"...

When did he morph into Dick Vitale?

Reactions: shupat08
And man, when that team shot as we could, they were so good. Would have been elite 8 if we didnt go ice cold in that game.
And even still only lost by 2 (and with no Sha). To me, that season ended feeling more incomplete than our 2020 season dashed by COVID. I had more faith it that group, to be perfectly honest. Maybe it's the naivete of youth, but I believed in them almost limitlessly.

And even still only lost by 2 (and with no Sha). To me, that season ended feeling more incomplete than our 2020 season dashed by COVID. I had more faith it that group, to be perfectly honest. Maybe it's the naivete of youth, but I believed in them almost limitlessly.
That Oregon game was one of my fondest memories. I was at the Rusty Scupper in Princeton on an extended lunch because it was the noon game. One or two (or 6) beers later, I'm screaming and jumping up and down with a Villanova grad who was HallIn. Went back to Merrill and had to clean my desk for a group move, pushed my entire desk into a box and revisited the shit pile Monday.

That Oregon game was one of my fondest memories. I was at the Rusty Scupper in Princeton on an extended lunch because it was the noon game. One or two (or 6) beers later, I'm screaming and jumping up and down with a Villanova grad who was HallIn. Went back to Merrill and had to clean my desk for a group move, pushed my entire desk into a box and revisited the shit pile Monday.
I had an apartment that was on the second floor over a bar. Left work half day (it was St. Patrick's Day) to watch it in solitude, so I could devote every bit of my attention to it. I took my annual shot from a bottle of Tullamore Dew (which I don't actually care for and which only ran dry two or three years ago), inhaled a six-pack of Harp, and let my emotions go for two-and-a-half hours. What a game!

Anyway, I was jumping up and down and yelling so much that when I went down to the bar afterward, the bartender asked me if everything was all right up there. It couldn't have been better, I said.

I was at work -- since I took half the previous week off for the BET I couldn't take the day and I wasn't able to sneak out for an extended lunch either.

I was able to listen to the game on my computer (actually radio reception sucked). Given it was the year 2000 that was a chore as well as streams tended to buffer.

In fact it was so bad at the end, I received congratulatory phone calls from two of my record label friends (a Temple fan and a Rutgers grad) who had the watched the game before I actually heard the ending.

I was lucky enough to be in the arena that weekend (and the next) for what I have always called the best back to back SHU wins that I witnessed personally. It was INSANE. We have Sha against OSU in the Sweet 16 and we advance. One of my favorite Pirates, Rimas K, had an off night that game and still we almost pulled it out.

it was St Pattys day too.

Reactions: mbraue
After the excitement of that first weekend and how SHU became media darlings again on campus, a bunch of us made the trip up to the Carrier Dome. That game against Gotlieb’s OK State team was frustrating but the place was electric for The Hall.

After the game on the shuttle to the car, the loss didn’t feel crushing and spirits were up for everyone’s. Yeah a tough loss to end a fun season where we had the Glory Years magic back. I figured that was the start of another run for years. Noooope. Some flickers with Orr, but Willard’s run didn’t start for 16 years after. Woof.

And we still haven’t been to the second weekend since. Now going to be 24 years!! 👀👀

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
I had an apartment that was on the second floor over a bar. Left work half day (it was St. Patrick's Day) to watch it in solitude, so I could devote every bit of my attention to it. I took my annual shot from a bottle of Tullamore Dew (which I don't actually care for and which only ran dry two or three years ago), inhaled a six-pack of Harp, and let my emotions go for two-and-a-half hours. What a game!

Anyway, I was jumping up and down and yelling so much that when I went down to the bar afterward, the bartender asked me if everything was all right up there. It couldn't have been better, I said.
The Old Canal Inn? :)

Watched it at the old Ryan's (now Gaslight Brewery) with a bunch of other imbeciles just about to be 30.

The Old Canal Inn? :)

Watched it at the old Ryan's (now Gaslight Brewery) with a bunch of other imbeciles just about to be 30.
The Old Canal Inn is like the Oak Room at the Plaza compared to this place, which is no longer standing, either. It was hardly standing then ... but I also got free electric and cable, so it was a deal!

I was lucky enough to be in the arena that weekend (and the next) for what I have always called the best back to back SHU wins that I witnessed personally. It was INSANE. We have Sha against OSU in the Sweet 16 and we advance. One of my favorite Pirates, Rimas K, had an off night that game and still we almost pulled it out.
Apologies to Rimas.... The Human Bruise,,,, he actually led the team in scoring with 17 pts. As a team we shot lousy from 3 which doomed us. Pays to check the stats before opening one's mouth.

Apologies to Rimas.... The Human Bruise,,,, he actually led the team in scoring with 17 pts. As a team we shot lousy from 3 which doomed us. Pays to check the stats before opening one's mouth.
It's ok, you can say Rimas had a off night. He shot 5-15, just 2-9 on two-point shots and 3-6 on threes.

Rimas, Darius and Ty were a combined 16-55 from the floor including 7-34 on threes.

The rest of the team: Greg Morton, Samuel Dalembert, Charles Manga, Al Harris and Kevin Wilkins were 9-14 shooting, all on two-point shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT