ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier

SHUMAN

All Big East
Jun 4, 2001
Ok, how come some bb programs, such as Xavier, can get it right but we can't? How many coaches have they burned through, yet they all get winning results?

Xavier had some tourney appearances under Gillen in the 80's and early 90's but not as signficant as SHU during that period. Then, unfortunately, we go with Blaney to replace PJ (totally running the program off the cliff) while they have:

Skip Prosser replaces Pete Gillen in 1994 - 7 seasons with 4 NCAA appearances
Thad Matta - replaces Prosser and goes to 3 straight NCAA appearances (including first elite eight)
Sean Miller - replaces Matta when he left for Ohio St and goes to tourney in 4 of first 5 seasons (another elite eight)
Chris Mack - replaces Miller when he leaves for Arizona and following the same script keeps getting Xavier to the dance.
on and on and on...

They've only missed the tourney twice since 2001 and usually they make some "noise".

WTF? Why can't we do this? We are a Catholic school in similar size, with a larger endowment, located in a hotbed of basketball talent yet we can't even make the NIT on a regular basis. Sure they have the nice, cozy Cintas but we play in an NBA arena within spitting distance of Manhattan. I'm not expecting SHU to be a Duke or Kansas - just give me a a small taste of success as a program.

Come on SHU - show us some leadership, some vision, and get it done.

Xavier has built a program through continuity. Every coach has had a connection to the previous coach and the program (besides Matta) before getting hired. The core of the program remains in tact through the transition. They are not starting from scratch every few years.

Originally posted by SHUMAN:
Ok, how come some bb programs, such as Xavier, can get it right but we can't? How many coaches have they burned through, yet they all get winning results?

WTF? Why can't we do this? We are a Catholic school in similar size, with a larger endowment, located in a hotbed of basketball talent yet we can't even make the NIT on a regular basis. Sure they have the nice, cozy Cintas but we play in an NBA arena within spitting distance of Manhattan. I'm not expecting SHU to be a Duke or Kansas - just give me a a small taste of success as a program.

Come on SHU - show us some leadership, some vision, and get it done.
SHU rarely had vision. The Admin in Xavier were keenly aware that if their BB coach had success, other schools will grab the coach. They always were on the look out for their potential next coach. Second, they paid their coaches well to make it an attractive job along with their great facilities.

On the other hand, after PJ, Keating wants a good buddy for a coach instead of someone who was the next PJ. Second, Seton Hall did not pay all that well. If you do not pay well, who are you going to attract? Third, they were always late scrambling for the next coach. No vision or foresight.

The only hire that was visionary was the Amaker hire. Orr was not a good hire, Willard was a horrible hire and the danger with Gonzalez was always known but we thought it was worth the risk.

your right on many counts. I just think in my opinion playing in an NBA arena hurts us. we pay 55 thousand a game and have covering over seats showing potential recruits and others that we cant get people upstairs unless its a big time school. AT Continental even worse. They shouls have done something about an arena off campus 30 years ago. there was a chance with Essex county. But forget that he has to go. He is actively looking for other jobs. USING US AT THE SAME TIME. Most likely to up his buyout.

Who cares that he s shopping himself? Maybe he gets lucky and then we get lucky, too. Why would anyone care how he goes?

Former Xavier AD Jeff Fogelson is responsible for a good portion of that including the Cintas Center. I wonder what he did after Xavier? Oh yeah, HE BECAME AD AT SETON HALL!!!

SPK
The most puzzling thing about the hire of Fogelson was that when his contract expired he was not resigned by Xavier which should have been a big red flag. Then he hired Orr w/o ever interviewing anyone else as he was familiar with Orr from his days as an assistant at Xavier.

Ya Orr was so terrible 2 NCAAs in 3 years doooooooooooh be careful what you wish for

Orr was his second choice. Prosper said no and Orr said yes. Excellent search if you ask me. He was ready and got a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT