ADVERTISEMENT

Zags with Tiny quotes

If Seton Hall gets into any trouble over the FBI’s investigation into corruption in college basketball, it will have nothing to do with former assistant coach Dwayne “Tiny” Morton, he told The Post on Monday night.

Reactions: Joe_T
My only question would be why does the money appear on the balance sheet in the year 2015?

My only question would be why does the money appear on the balance sheet in the year 2015?
Who knows? Why would Kyle Lowry, who was making $12M per season at the time, need a loan for $3,000? At this point it’s too difficult to speculate what actually happened. Just let all the facts come out.

Reactions: Seton00
Based on the fact this appears to be an unaudited balance sheet, the dumbest and craziest scenarios you can think of can be on here. I highly doubt they had a $100,000 person a year with good bookkeeping skills doing the books.

Highly unlikely they did any reversing entries for their second set of books to write off a loan like the one to Lowry. I’m guessing this set of books was just to keep a record of who they gave money to throughout the years and who may “owe” them one.

Based on the fact this appears to be an unaudited balance sheet, the dumbest and craziest scenarios you can think of can be on here. I highly doubt they had a $100,000 person a year with good bookkeeping skills doing the books.
If that were the case re Whitehead we would have already heard the denials. His silence at this time is not a good sign.

If that were the case re Whitehead we would have already heard the denials. His silence at this time is not a good sign.
I’m sure there are accurate and inaccurate accounts on there. Which is which, we do not know. The funny thing is that Whitehead was said to have take close to 40k, 30 of which was his freshman year. Why only 10 his sophomore year when he was on the rise? And who knows how accurate that 40k figure is. It could have been 4K or 140k for all we know. Sad part is it would have been nice for Isaiah to be there senior night if he could make it. Now it would be awkward.

Last edited:
Some of the names on there never really made a lot of sense with respect to the document being dated 12/31/15. Lowry, Nerlens Noel and others were already making millions prior to 2015. So if the assumption can be made that the date of the document isn’t necessarily indicative of when the payouts occurred, why is it that the date seems to be holding such weight when both implicating and exonerating individuals and programs?

Why is Morton saying he's never made money outside his day job?

It was widely reported in articles (in which Morton was quoted) that he had a six figure deal in 2000's with addidas, then Under Amour.

It was all legal and publicly known. Some think it's shady but it's legal.

From 2006-
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/sports/features/10349/index2.html

In the summer of 2000, Nike reps came to Coney Island and tried to visit with Sebastian. But Dwayne Morton, soon to be Telfair’s coach at Lincoln, wasn’t having any of it. “The Nike representatives wanted to talk to Sebastian about coming to a Nike camp,” recalls Morton, who has been criticized for parlaying his relationship with Telfair into a lucrative consulting position with Adidas. “I gave them the runaround and kind of hid Sebastian.”

From 2009-
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...dwayne-tiny-morton-ready-act-article-1.416485

Morton's lucrative contract with Adidas expired in March, after the conclusion of the 2008-09 season.

According to "The Jump," a book by Ian O'Connor, the sneaker company had signed the coach to a five-year consulting and sponsorship deal worth $400,000. Morton says the deal was worth "half of that."

Under Armour, an apparel company trying to make inroads into the grassroots scene, offered Morton a new deal before this season, which Morton says extends to his AAU team and another Brooklyn high school, Thomas Jefferson. Neither Morton nor Under Armour will disclose the amount of the deal, but Morton says it's similar in structure to the one he had with Adidas.

Reactions: deheremike
Why is Morton saying he's never made money outside his day job?

It was widely reported in articles (in which Morton was quoted) that he had a six figure deal in 2000's with addidas, then Under Amour.

It was all legal and publicly known. Some think it's shady but it's legal.

From 2006-
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/sports/features/10349/index2.html

In the summer of 2000, Nike reps came to Coney Island and tried to visit with Sebastian. But Dwayne Morton, soon to be Telfair’s coach at Lincoln, wasn’t having any of it. “The Nike representatives wanted to talk to Sebastian about coming to a Nike camp,” recalls Morton, who has been criticized for parlaying his relationship with Telfair into a lucrative consulting position with Adidas. “I gave them the runaround and kind of hid Sebastian.”

From 2009-
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...dwayne-tiny-morton-ready-act-article-1.416485

Morton's lucrative contract with Adidas expired in March, after the conclusion of the 2008-09 season.

According to "The Jump," a book by Ian O'Connor, the sneaker company had signed the coach to a five-year consulting and sponsorship deal worth $400,000. Morton says the deal was worth "half of that."

Under Armour, an apparel company trying to make inroads into the grassroots scene, offered Morton a new deal before this season, which Morton says extends to his AAU team and another Brooklyn high school, Thomas Jefferson. Neither Morton nor Under Armour will disclose the amount of the deal, but Morton says it's similar in structure to the one he had with Adidas.

All semantics, I would assume he considered coaching and the associated revenue streams (camps, sneaker deals, etc..) all part of his "day job". Could see a valid argument of that either way, but in the end it really does not matter.

I’m sure there are accurate and inaccurate accounts on there. Which is which, we do not know. The funny thing is that Whitehead was said to have take close to 40k, 30 of which was his freshman year. Why only 10 his sophomore year when he was on the rise? And who knows how accurate that 40k figure is. It could have been 4K or 140k for all we know. Sad part is it would have been nice for Isaiah to be there senior night if he could make it. Now it would be awkward.

How do we know 30K was during his freshman year?

How do we know 30K was during his freshman year?

Maybe I'm not interpretting this bulletpoint properly from the yahoo article, but isn't it saying at the time of his freshman year he received $26,136.
  • "Isaiah Whitehead, at the time a freshman at Seton Hall, received $26,136 according to the documents. The “Pina” document says Whitehead received $37,657 and was “setting up payment plan.” Whitehead signed with ASM but later left the agency for Roc Nation."

This whole thing is going to turn into a he said she said situation. Is the FBI going to provide proof that the money changed hands? That’s the million dollar question (no pun intended).

Maybe I'm not interpretting this bulletpoint properly from the yahoo article, but isn't it saying at the time of his freshman year he received $26,136.
  • "Isaiah Whitehead, at the time a freshman at Seton Hall, received $26,136 according to the documents. The “Pina” document says Whitehead received $37,657 and was “setting up payment plan.” Whitehead signed with ASM but later left the agency for Roc Nation."

The documents don't say that, that was something surmised by the authors.

All semantics, I would assume he considered coaching and the associated revenue streams (camps, sneaker deals, etc..) all part of his "day job". Could see a valid argument of that either way, but in the end it really does not matter.
A real reporter doesn't leave the door open to semantic interpretations or guesses.

A real reporter follows up by asking, "Mr. Morton, you've signed contracts with adidas and Under Armour where you earned hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do you include that revenue as part of your 'day job'?"

Ha - no truer words spoken. Let’s all listen to what Tiny freaking Morton says is true now instead of acknowledging reality.

I wouldn’t take Tiny’s word as Gospel.

He’ll fight anything, right or wrong.

Reactions: Piratz
A real reporter doesn't leave the door open to semantic interpretations or guesses.

A real reporter follows up by asking, "Mr. Morton, you've signed contracts with adidas and Under Armour where you earned hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do you include that revenue as part of your 'day job'?"

Zags can never be confused for a real reporter.

Also, not sure if this was an interview, or just a bunch of statements by Tiny to Zags as the article indicates it was via text message.

Most of Zagoria's stories come from a couple of lines of texts.

Yeah it seems that Tiny texted a few people the same things last night....probably wasn’t much of a dialogue with any of the reporters.

I am actually feeling not too worried, which is not my personality with these types of things. If this issue came out by itself then I would be very worried about a banner having to come down. But not so much being grouped in with schools like Duke, UNC, Mich St , Kansas and UK.
I don't think the NCAA will vacate all of those championships and wins for those schools in cases when an agent and a player made deals outside of the knowledge of coaches. And particularly not with THOSE schools. In cases like Sean Miller, they have to, but I feel somewhat confident that our banner will stay up.

The bad thing is that with these investigative journalist, is that articles written now will get a lot more attention than after the NCAA tourn is over. So I have the feeling that there are other things that will be leaked out these next few weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT