ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates Travel to Georgetown in Battle for First Place

Pexy_bjHiJ.png

South Orange, N.J. – Seton Hall men's soccer travels to Washington, D.C. on Wednesday for a matchup with Georgetown. Both teams enter this matchup tied atop the BIG EAST standings. Live coverage of the match can be found on the BIG EAST Digital Network on FloFC, with kickoff slated for 2 p.m.

LAST TIME OUT
The Pirates ended in a 1-1 draw against Creighton in dramatic fashion on Saturday afternoon in front of the home crowd. The Bluejays were able to strike and take the lead in the 74th minute, however the Pirates would find a way to equalize. Konstantin Donalies (Bremen, Germany) was taken down in the box in the 90th minute, which set up Quenzi Huerman (Vannes, France) with the opportunity to take the equalizing penalty kick. The junior stepped up and buried it just past the outstretched arm of Creighton goalkeeper Paul Kruse to earn the Pirates a point in the BIG EAST standings.

SCOUTING GEORGETOWN (6-4-3, 4-1-1)
  • The Hoyas enter this match coming off a 3-2 road victory over Villanova on Saturday.
  • Georgetown entered the season ranked No. 2 in the United Soccer Coaches rankings, but started the season 1-4-2 after facing a difficult non-conference slate, featuring No. 7 Pittsburgh, No. 20 Denver and No. 14 Maryland.
  • The Hoyas have turned things around over the last month, and are unbeaten in their last six matches, going 5-0-1 over that span.
  • Kieran Sargeant was named BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week, logging 176 minutes last week and recording an assist against Villanova.
  • Georgetown in Seton Hall's oldest BIG EAST rival, with the series dating back to 1963. The Hoyas lead the series 22-17-4.
  • The Pirates' last win over Georgetown came on Apr. 17, 2021, a 2-1 win to capture the program's first BIG EAST title since 1991.
  • Seton Hall is seeking its first regular season win over the Hoyas since 2014.
NEWS & NOTES
  • The Pirates are unbeaten through seven BIG EAST games for the first time in program history.
  • Huerman's 90th minute game-tying penalty kick on Saturday was the second such goal this season for the Pirates. Johannes Pex (Stephansposching, Germany) scored in the same fashion against Xavier in a 2-2 draw on Sep. 17.
  • The Pirates have five game-tying/go-ahead goals in the 70th minute or later this season.
  • Saturday's draw against Creighton was the Pirates' sixth of the season, setting a new single-season program mark.
  • Hannes Ronnholmen's five shutouts are tied for the third most in a season in program history.
  • The Pirates have allowed just 13 goals all season, the second fewest in the BIG EAST. They have also scored 11 goals just during conference play, which ranks tied for second in the league.
  • Seton Hall is one of only two teams in the BIG EAST with one or fewer losses so far this season (Xavier).
  • The Hall had an 11-2 edge in corner kicks on Oct. 5 against DePaul, their largest advantage in that category since owning a 10-0 margin in corners on Sep. 27, 2014, also against DePaul.
  • Borg's goal against St. John's on Oct. 1 was the latest regulation game-winning goal for the Pirates since CJ Tibbling's 89th minute goal against Air Force in the opening round of the 2020 NCAA Tournament.
  • The Pirates scored a goal in each of their first nine matches of this season, doing so for the first time since 1999 when they scored in their first 11 matches.
  • Seton Hall has won its last seven matches, and 16 of its last 17, when scoring the first goal.
  • The win over Oregon State on Sep. 2 was the Pirates' first over a top-10 team in the United Soccer Coaches rankings since beating No. 2 Georgetown to win the BIG EAST title on Apr. 17, 2021. The win also marked the first time Seton Hall has defeated a top-10 non-conference foe since winning at No. 3 Virginia in the 2001 NCAA Tournament.
  • The Pirates conceded just one goal through its first three matches of the season, the program's best defensive start to a season since 2005.
WATCH
All BEDN events can be seen on FloSports, one of the leading streaming services in the world. Special Seton Hall pricing is available only through this link for fans who want to subscribe to watch Seton Hall events, home and away, as well as all other live events on the FloSports platform. Fans with a .edu school address can purchase a subscription for $6.99 per month, and all other fans can purchase a subscription for $12.50 per month. The non-Seton Hall pricing on FloSports is normally $29.99 per month.
The link to watch all Seton Hall Men's Soccer games can be found here.

Big East 2022-23 conference predictions: Can Creighton dethrone a post-Jay Wright Villanova at the top?

i

With Creighton looking to end Villanova's reign at the top of the Big East, we might see a new league champion in four months.
AP Photo/Frank Franklin II

Holloway Set To Lead New Era At Seton Hall

By Jason Guerette

The last time the Seton Hall Pirates hired a new men's basketball head coach, the world was a very different place than it is today. Kevin Willard came in and took over a mess of a program in the wake of Hurricane Bobby Gonzalez, and gradually got the program back to first respectability, then relevance, then prominence.

At his side for most of those years was Shaheen Holloway, and now the Pirates' favorite son returns to South Orange to lead the program that he helped rebuild both as a player and an assistant coach, and he's chomping at the bit to get started.

"It's still a whirlwind," Holloway said at Big East Media Day on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden about the last few months since he returned to his alma mater. "There's still a lot of stuff going on. It's been a long five months of just doing this, doing media stuff, going out and talking to alumni... I just want to coach my team right now."

Pirate fans will note that Holloway does want to continue the culture that he helped build, namely tough, blue-collar basketball on the court.

"I worked with coach (Willard) for 11 years, got a chance to pick up a lot of things," Holloway said. "We put a blueprint together that worked, so (I want to) keep that blueprint, but kind of put my own spin on it. (Willard) was a great offensive coach, and I'm more of a defensive coach, so that's one difference between us."

Holloway was able to implement a distinct style of play based on that blueprint at Saint Peter's University, riding a deep rotation and relentless pressure defense (with a little March magic mixed in) all the way to the Elite 8 last year. While the at-times 10-deep rotation he used with the Peacocks in Jersey City won't necessarily be there yet, the lynchpin of that defense followed him to South Orange- in K.C. Ndefo, the Pirates now have one of the most-versatile and skilled defenders in the nation to look to carry over Holloway's message."

K.C. is older, he's more mature now," he said of the three-time MAAC Defensive Player of the Year. "He's more of a lead-by-example type guy. He's been been talking to these guys about what to expect from me, and I think that's been big for us and big for them. K.C. does what K.C does- a lot of the things that don't show up on the stat sheet, and I'm looking for him to bring those things to Seton Hall as well."

Ndefo is also the type of player that speaks to the main difference between the former mentor and pupil according to Jamir Harris and Tyrese Samuel, the players chosen to represent the team at Media Day.

"The one difference I would say is that Coach Sha's intensity level is at a different level," Harris said. "He's very detail-oriented, and he takes pride in being tough, being physical. Every one of his coaching schemes and elements of practice, that's his focus- us bringing that same mindset to whatever we're doing."

Samuel echoed those sentiments."

Coach Willard was good with details, but Coach Sha brings the details and the intensity, and his intensity is contagious," the lone four-year Pirate on the roster said. "You're going to see him jump around, and if there was a loose ball he'd dive on it if it was up to him in practice. His intensity is second-to-none."

Stylistically in terms of X's and O's, more differences may come to light in time, but Harris mentioned one that has stood out in practice so far.

"The slight difference is that Coach Sha allows anyone to push the ball up the court," Harris said. "So if (Tyrese) or Tray Jackson gets the rebound, they can push the ball up the court and start the offense. That's the main difference- he's allowing everyone to play with freedom, not putting anyone in a set role or a set box. He's allowing each of his players to be creative offensively."

The roster also speaks to that tendency- the Pirates the last few years under Willard were big- very big, especially up front. While this season's roster doesn't have quite the inside muscle of, say, an Ike Obiagu or a Romaro Gill, or even Sandro Mamukelashvili, what they do have is versatility in the backcourt, something Holloway specifically targeted when he dipped into the transfer portal.

"It's important for me to have three guards on the court at all times- three playmakers," Holloway said. "For me, I wanted to bring in more versatility. Femi (Odukale) is 6'5", he can play three different positions for us. Bringing in (Al-Amir Dawes), he's a local kid, and I thought he was one of the best transfers in the country. For a guy that played 30 minutes a game for three straight years and averaged 11 points a game- not too many transfers have those numbers."

It will be fascinating to see how Holloway makes the program his own over the course of the next few years. But there was one moment of levity on Tuesday that sounded very Willard-esque. When asked if there was any player on the Pirates' roster that reminded Sha of himself when he was a player, the new skipper's answer came simply, but with a slight chuckle.

"I wish."

I guess apples don't fall too far from (coaching) trees.

Coach of the year battles

Myron Medcalf
ESPN Staff Writer

We're accustomed to projecting the college basketball players we expect to excel each season via our preseason honors lists. Coaches usually have to wait until their season is over, however, to get the same accolades.

Until now.

Here, we've predicted the top 2022-23 men's college basketball coach in each league based on the following criteria: the talent they've retained or added to their roster -- critical in the transfer portal and NIL eras -- their history of exceeding expectations and their ability to help their squad reach its highest potential. We've also looked at the coaches who could give our candidates their stiffest competition.

Yes, some of this is subjective. Most of the coaches are at this level because they've proved they're good at what they do.

Send all complaints to my fellow ESPN experts Jeff Borzello and John Gasaway. Kidding.

As the season nears - Recruiting strategy

During the upcoming weeks I will post a series of pressing questions as pertains to the program.

Today we'll discuss the team's recruiting strategy.

It's a new world in college basketball. A major shift caused by recently passed rules and regulations that have shifted the long tenured balance of power from the NCAA and it's member schools to the players.

First players no longer had to sit out if they wanted to transfer. They no longer had to deal with an immediate need for a waiver to play the following season. It was a given. But then an even more devastating rule came into being. Players could now make money off of their Name, their Image, their Likeness (NIL). In June of 2021, the Supreme Court unanimously ruled against the NCAA in NCAA vs. Alston that the NCAA could not limit education related payments to student-athletes.

Amateurism which has been part of the fabric of collegiate sports since the NCAA’s earliest inception is a thing of the past. To oversimplify it, players could not be paid to play. Student athletes received only scholarships. Now that is no more. And with those changes comes the shift noted above.

The two rules combined without many guardrails at this time have created a new template for college coaches to structure their roster every single year. In short college basketball until further notice is in an era where free agency reigns and it reigns every single year. Which brings us to the current question in Seton Hall's own backyard of what will be the school's and new head coach Shaheen Holloway's recruiting strategy.

To date, and it's too early to form a pattern, Holloway has shot for the stars, literally. In the form of 4 and 5 star players. Unsuccessful so far yes, but is this an approach that will continue, one that will bear fruit in the long run?

Impossible to know. Especially as collectives have sprung up throughout the country at most high D1 schools to help finically support college programs for retention and restocking of the roster. Something that at this time has not happened in South Orange. Meaning that NIL options for the Pirates cannot come close to meeting those of its peers. A disadvantage further exacerbated by New Jersey not allowing, like most states have, to permit its individual schools to deal directly with the new financial regulation.

Which brings us back to SHU's recruiting strategy. How does its new head coach traverse the difficult terrain in front of him? Should he continue to battle the best for the premier players knowing he does not have the funds needed to garner most of the players he seeks? If so does he try and secure one player hoping to possibly open up the flood gates? After all, basketball is not football. One or two stars can change the direction of your program allowing it to compete against the very best. Or does he lower his sights? Take the best and more easily secured 3 star players hoping to sprinkle in an occasional 4 star player and then fortify the roster with transfers after each season concludes?

Really, no one knows in the ever changing world of college sports. Especially with the possibility that just as these new rules seemed to have come fast and furious, changes in those rules if the NCAA has its way could at least be mitigated.

My opinion regarding Holloway and Seton Hall is at least early on follow the path now established. It only takes one high value star to meet your current goal. There is no doubt, even with the restrictions Holloway faces, that he is in his element as pertains to dealing with youngsters, their families and their entourages. His reputation as a recruiter and now builder of a program is well established. His work ethic is second to none and his comment that he made when hired by Seton Hall that he cannot, will not, fail speaks to his ambition to not only keep Seton Hall on the path of success established by former coach Kevin Willard, but to surpass it. For that to happen you can't be afraid to shoot for the 'stars'. You should make that your goal, NIL or not.

Holloway did it as a high school player winning MVP honors over Kobe Bryant in the McDonald's All American game. He did it at Seton Hall playing the point in the school's last Sweet 16 appearance. And he did it last year shocking the basketball community while guiding St Peter's to an Elite 8 appearance in the Dance. Why would anyone bet he can't do it one more time his way now as a coach in the Big East?

Kadary Richmond is Seton Hall’s key to proving Big East coaches wrong

By Zach Braziller

There have been games of brilliance, performances that wow you, instances when Kadary Richmond showcases his immense talent.

But that has also been followed far too often by quiet nights, nondescript games, contests in which the Brooklyn native hardly makes an impact.

That’s where Shaheen Holloway comes in. The new Seton Hall coach got more out of less at Saint Peter’s, becoming a March hero by leading the 15th-seeded Peacocks to the Elite Eight. He transformed a team of unranked prospects into everyone’s Cinderella. Now, for the Pirates to reach the NCAA Tournament in Holloway’s first season, to prove the Big East coaches who picked them seventh wrong, Holloway has to reach Richmond.

“We need him,” Holloway said on Big East media day of Richmond, who averaged 8.8 points, 4.1 assists and 3.6 rebounds as a sophomore. “We need him to play at a high [level] for us to be good.”

richmond.jpg

Kadary Richmond playing for Seton Hall on Jan. 26, 2022.
Bill Kostroun

The league’s coaches thought highly enough of the mega-talented Richmond that they voted him an all-league second team preseason selection, the only Seton Hall player to receive an individual honor. Connecticut coach Dan Hurley saw how dynamic Richmond can be last year, when he poured in 27 points in an upset victory over the Huskies, the kind of tantalizing performance that Holloway wants to see on a consistent basis this season.

“Just from a physical talent and skill standpoint at the guard position, you just don’t come across many 6-foot-6 physical, gifted, strong, athletic players with his type of game off the dribble and his ability to physically get to the rim,” Hurley said. “He’s really a gifted player. It will be interesting to see what kind of jump he can make under Shaheen’s leadership.”

Seton Hall forward Tyrese Samuel believes Richmond is ready to be a consistent performer. He’s noticed a more vocal player, someone who is eager to lead, a teammate that understands how important he is to the Pirates’ success. He is frequently talking and playing at a fast pace, a departure from the sometimes quiet and passive Richmond of last winter.

richmond2.jpg

Kadary Richmond playing against Georgetown on Feb. 1, 2022.
AP

“I know he’s going to have a big year this year and he’s going to really turn heads,” Samuel said.

That, of course, is to be determined. Holloway still believes Richmond can get into better condition and has to want to bring 100 percent effort on a daily basis. Asked what the new coach is working on with his star, Holloway bluntly said, “from the shoulders up.”

“I tell him every day, ‘we can’t turn the switch off and on,'” Holloway said. “You have to prepare yourself every day to be ready. … If he’s in shape and his mind is right, he’s going to be a good player.”

The coach added: “He’s got to understand that being in college now three years, there’s certain expectations. He wants to be at the next level, so every day you got to prepare to be at the next level. I think he’s starting to understand that right now.”

OT: Tom Brady

It's undeniable that he is the best ever at QB. But he acted like a real a*hole this weekend. He was shown giving his offensive line a ton of s**t during their loss to Pittsburgh. Low-life move, imho. And now we learn he was away from the team for the weekend up until yesterday morning so he could attend Robert Kraft's wedding. Again,no denying his legendary career on the field but he strikes me as a true egotistical jerk.

Bunny's

Here was my experience at Bunny's after the Saturday Blue/White scrimmage

I got to Bunny's around 230PM to set up our area which was the back part of the restaurant which covered about 10 tables and has a seating capacity of around 50 people. Unfortunately at that time most of the tables had customers there and the waitresses were still seating customers. Seeing that I sought out the manager on duty, Britney, a young and very pleasant lady. She told her staff to not seat anyone else as that area was designated for our event.

During that time many SHU people, mostly all from our board started to trickle in and sit in our area ordering food and drink on their own tabs. That continued until 3PM when the players (pictures later in the day curtesy of Harty9) came in and sat at the back tables allowing for easy access to the Pirate fans, both young and old.

Still, there were customers seated in the area finishing their meals and drinks causing some confusion as I was trying to ensure only those who paid were allows access to the area. In fact multiple people, many of them unpaid SHU students started to fill the area and had to be weeded out without disturbing the paid patrons.

Eventually those patrons left their tables by 315PM and from that point on I was able to control access.

I would estimate over the next hour plus we had a total of 80 people in the area talking SHU basketball, meeting the players, having children bring items to sign or have the players sign pictures of the roster I supplied. During that time Bunny's brought out pizzas to every table non stop until the event closed ship around 340PM or so. Here I want to plug Bunney's because there is no doubt they lost money as the rest of their restaurant was packed, both inside and outside. Losing 10 tables and making about 35-40 pies gratis was a gesture that all SHU fans should thank and in the future when anyone here is looking for a place to eat look no further than Bunny's, who supports the Hall as well as if not better than any restaurant in the Village.

A special shout out to Harty 9 who....

1. Took pictures for this site and for Eric's site.

2. Brought past Seton Hall superstar Glenn Mosley to the event.

3. Paid for Mosley's ticket as Glenn has faced difficult times financially and health wise.

Staying with Glenn....during the time there I introduced him to the team but as expected none of them knew who he was. After all he played decades before the SHU players were born. But once I told them of his feats at the school and the fact that he was a first round NBA draft choice that changed as you were able to see his interactions with the players. In short I told them that Glenn accomplished in the 70s what they desire to accomplish now, play BB at the highest level.

The final thing we did was to go outside and have multiple team picture taken by both Harty and Britney and then the event was over.

Bunny's handled everything so well that I sought out the staff and gave them a $200.00 tip. Money they earned as they no doubt lost tips from normal patrons in the 2 hours we had the area.

Bottom line, this went so well that I hope it becomes a yearly event. Everyone had a great time, Piratecrew was incredibly generous with their support and the players were well behaved and extremely cordial to everyone.

You here, the players and Bunny's made the end of University Day special.

Thank you all.

NFL Week 7 Power Rankings 2022

5. New York Giants (5-1)​

Week 6 ranking: 11
gn-arrow.png

The Giants weren't expected to win many games this season (my projection was six). You blame me? They hadn't topped six wins in any of the previous five seasons. But all they've done so far is find ways to win, whether it's by going for two in the opener, shutting out Aaron Rodgers in the second half or getting their first interception of the season to win them the game against Lamar Jackson and the Ravens. It doesn't matter that the Giants are 23rd in total offense and 15th in defense. Coach Brian Daboll has this team believing and finishing. They've outscored opponents 87-49 in the second half of games. -- Jordan Raanan

9. New York Jets (4-2)​

Week 6 ranking: 16
gn-arrow.png

The rookie class is developing quicker than expected. Cornerback Sauce Gardner and running back Breece Hall, in particular, have made such an impact that they have to be considered candidates for Defensive and Offensive Rookie of the Year, respectively. Gardner has eight pass breakups, one interception and has allowed only one reception in man coverage, per NFL Next Gen Stats. Hall replaced Michael Carter as the RB1 and is ninth in the league with 609 yards from scrimmage. Growing pains? Not at all. -- Rich Cimini

Trove tidbits

Jaden Daly on Holloway's staff, Tony Bozzella, the Big East and more​

BY JP Pelzman

J.P. Pelzman: In terms of assistants, what does Rasheen Davis bring to the table? I know Sha has a lot of trust in him.

Jaden Daly: I've known Rasheen Davis for almost 10 years, since he was with Steve Masiello at Manhattan. He's a man who builds relationships. He will get to know you and your family before he pays attention to what your game is like and how you are on the floor. That is going to make him an elite recruiter at this level. Rasheen Davis is going to be someone who is going to have Seton Hall in play for a lot of top 100, top 200 prospects just because of his ability to connect with young men.

It's almost at the level of Sha’s ability to connect with these young men. He will take an interest in you and what you’re interested in and use that to help evaluate what he’s looking for on and off the floor. His ability to build relationships is something that Seton Hall hasn’t had on staff for a long time. I really can’t remember an assistant that Kevin (Willard) had, other than Sha, that was as good with that. Rasheen is going to be for Sha what Sha was for Kevin. I really believe that.

Richmond Tabbed To Preseason All-BIG EAST Second Team

BO0A9251.jpg

Pirates picked seventh in the BIG EAST preseason poll​

NEW YORK - Seton Hall men's basketball junior guard Kadary Richmond (Brooklyn, N.Y.) has been named to the BIG EAST Preseason All-Conference Second Team, the BIG EAST Conference announced at its annual media day on Tuesday.

The preseason order of finish, according to a coaches vote, was also unveiled Tuesday, and the Pirates have been picked to finish seventh. The last time The Hall was slotted seventh in the preseason poll was 2015-16. The Pirates would go on to win the BIG EAST Tournament at Madison Square Garden in March of that season.

A long, rangy point guard, Richmond is coming off of a solid sophomore campaign in his first season with the Pirates where he averaged 8.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.7 steals per game. He finished fourth in the conference in assists per contest and fifth in steals. Richmond battled through injuries during conference play and helped lead the Pirates to their fifth NCAA Tournament appearance in the last six contested.

Richmond posted one of the top single-game performances in the BIG EAST last season when he dropped a career-high 27 points on 10-of-13 shooting from the field in a 90-87 victory over Connecticut on Jan. 8 at Prudential Center. 25 of Richmond's 27 points were scored in the second half, including a stretch where he alone outscored the Huskies, 17-7.

Led by head coach Shaheen Holloway '00, who returned to his alma mater in March after leading Saint Peter's to the 2022 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight, Seton Hall boasts a wealth of experience on the roster with five returning Pirates from last season and five transfers that combine for 13 years of Div. I basketball experience. In total, this veteran Seton Hall team has appeared in 775 career collegiate games and combined for 6,019 points, 2,971 rebounds and 1,072 assists.

The Pirates, which have finished in the top half of the BIG EAST standings in each of the last seven seasons, are coming off a fifth NCAA Tournament appearance in the last six contested.

Single-game tickets for the 2022-23 Seton Hall men's basketball season at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., are on sale now through Ticketmaster. Single-game prices start at $30 with 15 games to choose from, including Seton Hall's annual matchups against BIG EAST foes Providence (Dec. 17), St. John's (Dec. 31), Connecticut (Jan. 18), Marquette (Jan. 21), Xavier (Feb. 24) and Villanova (Feb. 28) as well as the Gavitt Tip-Off Games contest against Iowa on Nov. 16.

The full schedule features a wide variety of options that offer all Pirates fans the opportunity to visit The Rock and cheer on The Hall, including seven weekend games and five weeknight games that start at 7 p.m., or earlier.

Season tickets, which start at just $195 per seat plus a $60 Priority Seat Premium, and a six-game mini-plan, which starts at $240 per seat, are also available through the Seton Hall ticket office. Current Seton Hall basketball season ticket holders can also purchase discounted single-game tickets to all games by calling the ticket office at (973) 275-4255.

AP Preseason Top 25

First-place votes in parentheses:

1. North Carolina (47)
2. Gonzaga (12)
3. Houston (1)
4. Kentucky (2)
5. Kansas
5. Baylor
7. Duke
8. UCLA
9. Creighton
10. Arkansas