ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 Big East Coaches Poll

At the Beefsteak Sha in his own particular style trashed those that had already predicted the demise of his current team. He confidently with a gleam in his eye basically said see me in March.

BTW. the Pirates trashed Quinnipiac this weekend behind closed doors with Jenkins dominating.

Maybe you can make an argument for 8th based on Sha’s coaching ability alone, but it’s very difficult to make a rational argument to have them higher than 8th or 9th in my opinion.

The entire team is unproven. A few high ceiling guys but still unproven.

I’m confused by Kalkbrenner being Preseason POY and not being 1st team. Am I missing something

This board loves Shaheen, but not much from the BE coaches.
We always do well coming from off the pace. Willard was a master of this, too.

No disrespect for Kalkbrenner, but at the very least he and Karaban should be co COY.

I wonder if Richmond will be first-team at season's end? I bet he is not.

Catalon Named Preseason All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention​

resize

NEW YORK – Seton Hall sophomore Savannah Catalon (Mansfield, Texas) was named a Preseason All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention on Tuesday. Additionally, the Pirates were picked to finish seventh according to the conference's Preseason Coaches' Poll.

A unanimous selection to the 2023-24 BIG EAST All-Freshman Team, Catalon was twice named BIG EAST Freshman of the Week and earned Seton Hall Freshman Female Co-Athlete of the Year. The guard appeared in 31 contests and averaged 7.4 points, 2.2 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 22.8 minutes per game. Catalon reached double-figures in scoring nine times, and led the team in scoring five times. She finished third in the BIG EAST with a .866 free-throw percentage last season.

On Feb. 17, Catalon erupted for 21 points and went a perfect 11-for-11 from the free-throw line against DePaul marking only the third time in Seton Hall history a player has made all of her free-throws with a minimum of 10 attempts.

In the BIG EAST Preseason Coaches' Poll, Seton Hall had 51 points to place seventh. Connecticut, a perennial national title contender, was the unanimous choice to win their fourth-straight BIG EAST title. Creighton has been picked to finish second with 91 points, Providence is third with 71 points, St. John's is fourth at 67 points, Georgetown is fifth at 66 and Villanova is sixth at 56 points. After Seton Hall, Butler, DePaul, Marquette and Xavier round out the order.

Season tickets for all 17 women's basketball games at Walsh Gymnasium are only $75 and are on sale now! Single-game tickets are also available and can be purchased by calling the Seton Hall Ticket Office at 973-275-HALL (4255). Reminder – tickets for Seton Hall students are FREE!!

2024-25 BIG EAST Women's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll
1. Connecticut (10) - 100
2. Creighton - 91
3. Providence - 71
4. St. John's - 67
5. Georgetown - 66
6. Villanova - 56
7. SETON HALL - 51
8. Butler - 46
9. DePaul - 24
10. Marquette - 23
11. Xavier - 10

Well, somebody is going to have egg on their face(s). At the Beefsteak Tony B said that Catalon will be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league and noted the team would be battling for a spot right behind UConn.

I know Tony is usually over optimistic but I never saw him as positive about his team as he was this year.

Guess we'll see soon.

It’s all a crapshoot. What teams are proven at this point? Some look better on paper but chemistry is definitely a factor. I like our chances to finish in the top 5 mainly due the Sha.

If that doesn't motivate Sha and the team nothing will !!
I would think they already are sufficiently motivated. They are all getting paid, substantial amounts in some cases. If that plus being a competitor and golden opportunity they have isn’t enough to motivate….

I’m confused by Kalkbrenner being Preseason POY and not being 1st team. Am I missing something
The POY is always essentially the “6th” member of the first team.

I think it’s hard to argue with the 6 preseason first team players.

What's a real expectation for this team. So many new pieces and how it will work. I can't imagine us realistically being better than UConn and Creighton for example, but is 4th realistic, 5th?

Reactions: Burnsly
Rick Pitino announced that PC is retiring Billy Donovan's number this season. I'm sure that PC is thrilled to have the St. John's coach break the news LOL

What's a real expectation for this team. So many new pieces and how it will work. I can't imagine us realistically being better than UConn and Creighton for example, but is 4th realistic, 5th?
In this era of college basketball, with so much turnover, I think conference-wide results are unpredictable as ever. So I see no reason why we cannot land in the top 5 of the league if things break right. We have a good coach, and we brought in lots of talented (if unproven) kids.

Reactions: Burnsly
Rick Pitino announced that PC is retiring Billy Donovan's number this season. I'm sure that PC is thrilled to have the St. John's coach break the news LOL
He can’t shut up ever. Impossible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT