ADVERTISEMENT

2Nite in Walsh Gym

andover joe

All American
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2003
What an entertaining evening it was! Make no mistake, LaSalle is no gimme, they have a very competent backcourt rotation, a few quality big guys[DJ Johnson is a good one], and they make shots.

BUT, SetonHall ain't bad, either! Interestingly, the starting 5 was Angel, Deano, Desi, Powell, and, surprise, surprise, Michael Nzei. Early on, they dominated. now, and I think this was prescient on his part, Coach brought in a whole new rotation: Ish, Cale, Sandro, Eron, and Jordan-and they were a well oiled group! So, halftime 44-27 Seton.

Second half, LaSalle rallied at times, and at approximately the 15:00 minute mark, got it as close as 64-58. Seemed like trouble-Kevin called time, inserted the Srs, and immediately it was up to 13 again.

What does Coach do? He reinserts the young'uns, but this time they assert themselves and put the Explorer starters away.

Now, some thoughts-you guys who weren't there 2nite are going to love Jordan Walker-this young man is a dynamo; he will play significant minutes this yr-count on that. He's not afraid to take a big shot, he exudes confidence on the court, he's always smiling, and he has a fantastic motor. We are very lucky to have him!

Sandro is also a player: can shoot from deep, sticks his nose into the action down low, can bound, is very fundamentally sound. Romaro Gill is going to help[I hope he plays this yr]; he's a shot-blocking presence down low, and dropped in 2 layins off passes down low.

Myles Cale, in the 1st half, tried to do too much, 2nd half, was fine-he's a player. Ish actually with the 2nd unit was a revelation, along with his typically steady floor game, with the kids, he added needed O at times when they struggled to score. He is so valuable to this program.

Angel seemed to play like a "Point Center" this evening, hardly looking to score[he probablyhad 5 assts], basically to Michael on inside passes off LaSalle's overplay on him. At 1st I was a little concerned that something was awry, but he did establish himself inside eventually, and probably have scored more if it was a necessity.

A couple more tidbits; Myles Powell was D'ing up their G's[and believe me, these guys can play], and doing a bang-up job at it, he is a star! Desi is, as we all know, mercurial; but he may just be ready to break out to another level; he can score the ball many ways. Deano is Deano-he's a Basketball player.

One more thing-Celebrity sightings-Isiah, of course, still the star of the show; and, I'm guessing, but I will say that I spotted a gentleman with full Seton Hall regalia on, in the company of a young man approximately 6'8-again, just a guess, Cevannes and Valdir?

They were sitting directly below Danny[who I noted was sitting beside Seton Hall legend Charlie Mitchell], maybe Dan can verify my suspicion?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News