ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Judge

Have to say I’ve lost some interest in Baseball in the post Jeter era, but you have to appreciate what we have in Aaron Judge. Unique talent.

Reactions: PirateFan94
Have to say I’ve lost some interest in Baseball in the post Jeter era, but you have to appreciate what we have in Aaron Judge. Unique talent.
Agree. I hate to jinx him, but looks pretty certain he’ll pass Maris now. It would suck if he breaks record and ends his career somewhere else though.

Agree. I hate to jinx him, but looks pretty certain he’ll pass Maris now. It would suck if he breaks record and ends his career somewhere else though.
I don't see how Yankees cannot pay him long term deal now. To let him walk after a season like this would be insane. They took a gamble not locking him up and lost. Pay the man. He exhibits all the qualities and character you want in a player.

I don't see how Yankees cannot pay him long term deal now. To let him walk after a season like this would be insane. They took a gamble not locking him up and lost. Pay the man. He exhibits all the qualities and character you want in a player.
Is 8 for 30 aav fair?

While it is about how much money and years he wants there is a part of me that says Judge wants to play on the biggest stage , the World Series and I could see him signing with another team that is better suited to play in a couple of World Series.

Last edited:
8 years is the starting point on years. He's probably going to get roughly 35 per year (Trout is roughly that, and Corey Seager and Anthony Rendon are paid slightly more and are not as valuable as Judge). I don't think he gets Scherzer money, because that number over 3 years is debatable, let alone 8.

I'm sure he won't be a Met (I predict Alonso will get a Brinks truck, so him + Lindor + Judge is a lot of money on offense to commit to before we get into any type of DeGrom contract). I'm just sitting back awaiting the final number

8 years is the starting point on years. He's probably going to get roughly 35 per year (Trout is roughly that, and Corey Seager and Anthony Rendon are paid slightly more and are not as valuable as Judge). I don't think he gets Scherzer money, because that number over 3 years is debatable, let alone 8.

I'm sure he won't be a Met (I predict Alonso will get a Brinks truck, so him + Lindor + Judge is a lot of money on offense to commit to before we get into any type of DeGrom contract). I'm just sitting back awaiting the final number
Judge is such a unique case. At his age, unless he has a Bonds like ending to his career, you're really only paying him for what he can do the next 4-5 years. On top of that, this is the only time in his career he's made it this far into the season without injury. On the flip side of that, when you see what he can do when healthy, he's a must sign for the yankees.

8 years and 30per would be a bargain. he's going to want to start at 10 years and north of 35 mil per year. thats where it starts.

Agree that 35 per year and 10 years is what he will get. If not the Yanks, then someone else. He is putting the Yanks on his back this year. Look at the numbers in the rest of the lineup. True MVP.

Yanks have to pay him since he is the Face of the franchise and that’s always been important for the Yankees to have a player that is truly a Yankee.

Not sure what he would get, but I’m assuming 7 year, $280M is likely what it would take.

Agree that 35 per year and 10 years is what he will get. If not the Yanks, then someone else. He is putting the Yanks on his back this year. Look at the numbers in the rest of the lineup. True MVP.
No shot

10 years is a long time for a guy who turned 30 already and has a list of injuries in the past. I think 4 years from now people will be wishing they spent the money on pitching. I just don't see the yankees getting past the astros without more pitching. The last 2.5 months the yanks have really just been mediocre. There are a lot of other needs that could be addressed with that money. I'd rather see them address the pitching, get some cheap younger players who can actually do something called steal a base, and become a more complete team. But they'll give the money to a guy who puts butts in the seats because that makes more money. That's more important than addressing the needs of the team.

Last edited:
10 years is a long time for a guy who turned 30 already and has a list of injuries in the past. I think 4 years from now people will be wishing they spent the money on pitching. I just don't see the yankees getting past the astros without more pitching. The last 2.5 months the yanks have really just been mediocre. There are a lot of other needs that could be addressed with that money. I'd rather see them address the pitching, get some cheap younger players who can actually do something called steal a base, and become a more complete team. But they'll give the money to a guy who puts butts in the seats because that makes more money. That's more important than addressing the needs of the team.
Agree it is a long time and not saying I would do this. I think this is what will happen though. Would rather address pitching too.

All salient points. However, what does not help is that the rest of the lineup is totally anemic at this point. The bottom third of the lineup couldn’t hit water falling out of a boat. So, if you plan on moving on from Judge you better fill in the lineup with competent hitters.

They tried locking him up. 7 years x $30m was a fair offer for someone with his injury history, Judge turned it down and bet on himself and is winning, so that price is now 35-40 per year. Judge also is very upset over the Yankees leaking that offer so he might sign somewhere else out of spit if they don’t give him that now. The way he non-answered a question last week from a Boston troll writer about possibly coming to the Red Sox should make Yankee fans worried. Judge has played well enough to earn this market value but whoever signs him will regret the overpay when he can’t stay healthy 2 years into an 8 year deal.

Judge is special. A terrific all around player. Not just a power hitter. Checks every box on and off the field.

I thought the "leaked" offer was fair. Yanks will have to pay more now -- a premium, if you will, because Judge bet on himself and has had a historic season. I totally understand the concerns about giving a player of his age and, most importantly, body type, a deal with significant years attached. I'd much prefer they pay him huge AAV but have shorter term.

Reactions: Halldan1
Judge is special. A terrific all around player. Not just a power hitter. Checks every box on and off the field.

I thought the "leaked" offer was fair. Yanks will have to pay more now -- a premium, if you will, because Judge bet on himself and has had a historic season. I totally understand the concerns about giving a player of his age and, most importantly, body type, a deal with significant years attached. I'd much prefer they pay him huge AAV but have shorter term.
Assuming he remains healthy the rest of the way, he's not going to take a 4-5 year contract because someone who needs to excite their fan base is going to give him a long term deal.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Assuming he remains healthy the rest of the way, he's not going to take a 4-5 year contract because someone who needs to excite their fan base is going to give him a long term deal.
Yes, I can see San Fran offering long term deal he wants.

If Judge signs a 10-year contract, I doubt it will be with the Yankees.

They wouldn't give Cano 10 years. He was far more durable than Judge having missed 14 games in his last seven years in NY and he was top six in the AL MVP his last four years as a Yankee. As important he played his last full season as a Yankee at age 30. Time has proven the Yankees made the right call there.

I don't think they go past eight years but I'd be surprised if they are outbid on AAV.

If Judge signs a 10-year contract, I doubt it will be with the Yankees.

They wouldn't give Cano 10 years. He was far more durable than Judge having missed 14 games in his last seven years in NY and he was top six in the AL MVP his last four years as a Yankee. As important he played his last full season as a Yankee at age 30. Time has proven the Yankees made the right call there.

I don't think they go past eight years but I'd be surprised if they are outbid on AAV.
Not signing Cano was the best move the Yankees made. How many games was he suspended for PED use?

Not signing Cano was the best move the Yankees made. How many games was he suspended for PED use?
Yup. Here's the thing - many will want them to simply cut Judge a blank check now for however many years because he's a great, homegrown player, having a legendary season (and was a top 5 MVP guy for a few years since 2017), and immensely likable.

You do that, and 3 years into the deal his legs fall apart, or he starts having injury issues, many of those same fans will excoriate the Yanks for doing so.

He is in many ways a unicorn when you talk about his body type. He's thankfully avoided nagging injuries this year, but I'd bet smarter people than me have different estimations and such on his potential injury risk and it is way higher than most other players. On top of that, because he's a unicorn, you have no clue how a dude of that size is going to age comparatively.

Judge is gonna get 7 years 330 million. It’ll be interesting if the Yankees do it as their original offer was much lower. I think the best chance he stays with the Yankees is if he takes a 4 year 200 million deal and gives him a chance at another contract after that

Reactions: metalpirate07
Of course they then turned around and signed Jacoby Ellsbury for seven years and $153 million. That got them 520 games over four seasons.

Judge is gonna get 7 years 330 million. It’ll be interesting if the Yankees do it as their original offer was much lower. I think the best chance he stays with the Yankees is if he takes a 4 year 200 million deal and gives him a chance at another contract after that
The only way he's hitting the free agent market in four years is if he signs a longer contract with an opt-out at that point.

Also, the highest AAV for a hitter is currently Trout's $36 million. I'm don't see Judge exceeding that by $10 million a year. Even at $40 million per that's 18 % of the way to the luxury tax for one player.

Of course they then turned around and signed Jacoby Ellsbury for seven years and $153 million. That got them 520 games over four seasons.

The only way he's hitting the free agent market in four years is if he signs a longer contract with an opt-out at that point.

Also, the highest AAV for a hitter is currently Trout's $36 million. I'm don't see Judge exceeding that by $10 million a year. Even at $40 million per that's 18 % of the way to the luxury tax for one player.
Ellsbury juiced up with PEDS during his free agency years. Yanks did not do their homework. I think it's time for Cashman to go.

Reactions: PirateFan94
Ellsbury juiced up with PEDS during his free agency years. Yanks did not do their homework. I think it's time for Cashman to go.
Cashman isn't going anywhere. The yankees are not about winning, they're about making money. Cashman gets the one dimensional players people love. If the organization cared about winning he would've been gone years ago. They're designed to sell tickets, sell t-shirts and jerseys, be the team that everyone wants to come see on the road, but never a complete ball club to win big in multiple ways in October. If they get hot they can win in it all, but if they need to steal a base or move a runner over in a big spot, they're not the team.

Cashman isn't going anywhere. The yankees are not about winning, they're about making money. Cashman gets the one dimensional players people love. If the organization cared about winning he would've been gone years ago. They're designed to sell tickets, sell t-shirts and jerseys, be the team that everyone wants to come see on the road, but never a complete ball club to win big in multiple ways in October. If they get hot they can win in it all, but if they need to steal a base or move a runner over in a big spot, they're not the team.
Agree he's not going anywhere, but I'd pump the breaks on the "Yanks aren't about winning stuff". Yankees haven't had a losing season since 1992. We are going on 30 years where they are basically in the playoffs every season, as a floor. They had legit chances to win titles in recent years. They have a legit chance to win a title this year. The financial resources help, but every big market team during that same 30-year time span bottomed out multiple times. Yankees haven't.

Yanks are about winning. They just haven't won a title in a decade, and they've had some very good teams with flaws that got exposed in October.

Agree he's not going anywhere, but I'd pump the breaks on the "Yanks aren't about winning stuff". Yankees haven't had a losing season since 1992. We are going on 30 years where they are basically in the playoffs every season, as a floor. They had legit chances to win titles in recent years. They have a legit chance to win a title this year. The financial resources help, but every big market team during that same 30-year time span bottomed out multiple times. Yankees haven't.

Yanks are about winning. They just haven't won a title in a decade, and they've had some very good teams with flaws that got exposed in October.
They haven't addressed their rotation in years. They go after every day players year after year. At some point if you spend the money they do and don't achieve your goal, you look to address the main issue of pitching. Yeah you get the occasional Cole or CC, but they haven't had a legitimate top 3 or the 2 aces that the teams that have won World Series recently. Living and dying on the long ball hasn't gotten them a world series appearance in 12 years because those teams with a legitimate top 3 rotation get them every year. You can't convince me you're about winning but neglect starting pitching.

They haven't addressed their rotation in years. They go after every day players year after year. At some point if you spend the money they do and don't achieve your goal, you look to address the main issue of pitching. Yeah you get the occasional Cole or CC, but they haven't had a legitimate top 3 or the 2 aces that the teams that have won World Series recently. Living and dying on the long ball hasn't gotten them a world series appearance in 12 years because those teams with a legitimate top 3 rotation get them every year. You can't convince me you're about winning but neglect starting pitching.
See I disagree. I think they’ve tried, and often just gotten it wrong. They went for Gray instead of Verlander in 2017. Not a bad move objectively at the time, but it was obviously disastrous. They went for Montas over Castillo this year. They signed the biggest FA pitcher on the market in recent years in Cole. They found a gem in Cortes. They traded prospects for an upside play with Taillon, a former highly highly regarded prospect coming off injury.

I don’t think ignored pitching at all. I just think they had a giant miss in Verlander multiple times. And perhaps another miss with Montas (TBD). They can’t everyone all the time.

In the playoffs, right handed pitching gets better and top notch right handed pitching shuts down right handed (power) hitting. If the Yankees can’t match the top teams pitching wise, the offense can’t carry them as they get deeper into the playoffs. That said, the Yankees have to sign Judge.

See I disagree. I think they’ve tried, and often just gotten it wrong. They went for Gray instead of Verlander in 2017. Not a bad move objectively at the time, but it was obviously disastrous. They went for Montas over Castillo this year. They signed the biggest FA pitcher on the market in recent years in Cole. They found a gem in Cortes. They traded prospects for an upside play with Taillon, a former highly highly regarded prospect coming off injury.

I don’t think ignored pitching at all. I just think they had a giant miss in Verlander multiple times. And perhaps another miss with Montas (TBD). They can’t everyone all the time.
I see where you're coming from, but I just see it differently. When the guys you have on the mound can't throw the pitches they have because your catcher behind the plate is horrendous, you neglect pitching. The yankees were willing to sacrifice pitching to put a baby bomber behind the plate who couldn't handle a guy like Sonny Gray with his splitter. I don't believe that was a managerial decision either.

They also thought they had a stud in Luis Severino who has been plagued by injury.

I see where you're coming from, but I just see it differently. When the guys you have on the mound can't throw the pitches they have because your catcher behind the plate is horrendous, you neglect pitching. The yankees were willing to sacrifice pitching to put a baby bomber behind the plate who couldn't handle a guy like Sonny Gray with his splitter. I don't believe that was a managerial decision either.
They went too long with Sanchez. I understand why. He was so good off the bat those first few years with the offense that you try to salvage the glove. Because if the glove becomes even average the offense from that position is so much better than most every other team.

Once it became clear the offense wasn’t going to profile as it seemed it would initially, I was glad they moved on. And the direction they went - bringing in a first rate glove like Trevino who isn’t a power or nothing guy at the plate.

They went too long with Sanchez. I understand why. He was so good off the bat those first few years with the offense that you try to salvage the glove. Because if the glove becomes even average the offense from that position is so much better than most every other team.

Once it became clear the offense wasn’t going to profile as it seemed it would initially, I was glad they moved on. And the direction they went - bringing in a first rate glove like Trevino who isn’t a power or nothing guy at the plate.
They made the choice they’ve been making. They chose home run potential over someone who can handle their pitcher best. That’s been the Yankee way, choose offense over starting pitching. Yet year in and year out, the rays are right there with them because of their arms, and yes a catcher who can maximize the pitching staff is part of the equation, for one third the payroll. As much as the game has changed over the years, pitching still gets you to the World Series. I just don’t see one year in the last 12 where you say the yanks had a better playoff rotation than the champs, they just didn’t get the breaks. With the amount of money Cashman has at his disposal you’d expect to say that a couple times in over a decade. I’m curious how many years someone has had a higher priced batting order than the yanks.

Like every GM , Cashman has his successes and his flops but the flops are increasing and the successes declining. Gallo was a flop , Montas is a big flop , Donaldson is a shadow of what he was and Cashman way overpaid for him and too often too much young pitching talent has been traded away and the return received has not produced the results they were looking for. Yet my biggest gripe is the failure of the farm system to produce Major league caliber position players . When was the last time we saw the Yanks have a home grown first baseman , a third baseman or a shortstop ready to replace Jeter. The Dodgers do it, the Astro’s do it , Toronto does it and yet the Yankees struggle to add home grown talent. Other then Judge or Higgy and now Cabrera the rest of the other starters all were acquired in trade or free agent signings.

Next year's rule changes will put a premium on speed and defense. Hoping the Yanks will be innovative to take advantage with a younger, more athletic lineup.

Trade away Stanton, Donaldson, Hicks, Gleyber and Hiashioka. Re-sign Judge, have to give him what he wants (the Cole contract will be a guide 9 years - $326M) and Carpenter. Bring Rizzo back and then overpay to sign Justin Verlander. Give him a 2 or 3 year deal at $40 Million + AAV. Similar to the Mets with Scherzer. Maybe sign a regular LF like Benintendi.

Rest of the lineup are rookies. Volpe, Peraza and Cabrera need to play.

C - Trevino
1B - Rizzo
2B - Volpe
SS - Peraza
3B - LeMahieu
LF - Cabrera
CF - Bader
RF - Judge
DH - Carpenter
Utility - IKF

SP1 Verlander
SP2 Cole
SP3 Cortes
SP4 Severino
SP5 Schmidt

FWIW

At this point you would simply have to give away Hicks. No one is talking him at $10M per year for the rest of his contract.

Stanton is untradeable unless the Yankees eat most of his contract and that's not happening.

No one is taking Donaldson with one year left on his exorbitant contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT