ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Judge

21s.judgemaris_web.jpg

There’s no way the Yanks let him go after the season, right? Talk about backing up the Brinks truck!!
I love it when guys bet on themselves and produce. Pay that man his money!

Roger Maris’ $5,000 advice to Sal Durante, who caught his 61st homer​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Sal Durante was 19 years old in 1961 when he caught Roger Maris’ record-breaking 61st home run ball, and it was an experience he cherished for 60 years.

Durante was with his girlfriend, Rosemarie, who would become his wife, on a double date in the right field bleachers for Yankees-Red Sox — and she paid for the tickets.

“I was broke at the time, and Rosemarie loaned me $10 so I could buy four tickets at $2.50 each,” Durante explained to the Seattle Times in 2016. “Rosemarie never let me forget the loan.”

With Aaron Judge looking certain to pass Maris’ mark — which many baseball fans and media consider to be the true single-season home run record, given the PED usage in which Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds were implicated — the magical 1961 season is getting revisited from every angle.

“I heard the crack of the bat and saw it headed toward the right-field bleachers where we were sitting,” Durante said in 2016. “I jumped up on my seat and stretched as high as I could, and the ball slammed into the palm of my bare hand.”

GettyImages-128831532.jpg

Sal Durante holds up Roger Maris’ 61st home run ball on the 50th anniversary in 2011.
Getty Images

Red Barber, calling the game on WPIX, implied that the lucky fan who caught the ball would receive $5,000.

Durante was happy to return the ball and receive nothing but a “thank you” from Maris in return. Instead, he recalled Maris telling him, “Keep it, kid. Put it up for auction. Somebody will pay you a lot of money for the ball. He’ll keep it for a couple of days and then give it to me.”

That somebody was California restaurateur Sam Gordon, who did just that.

GettyImages-52246965.jpg

Sal Durante and Roger Maris in 1961.
Diamond Images/Getty Images

According to the CPI calculator, which measures the tides of inflation, the $5,000 Durante received in 1961 is the equivalent of nearly $50,000 today. It’s hard fathom what the ball would fetch in an auction today.

Durante was a Brooklyn-based truck driver at the time he caught the ball; he would later drive a school bus for 30 years until his retirement at the age of 62. About 20 years ago, Sal and Rosemarie moved from Brooklyn to Staten Island.

Rosemarie passed about eight years ago. As of the past several months, Durante, now 80, is hospitalized and suffering from dementia, his son, Tom, a 58-year-old New York City real estate broker, informed The Post.

“He still had — and still has — all his pictures of him and Maris through the house. He would talk about it,” the son said. “If we asked questions about it until recently, he would have known the answers. About one-and-half months ago, his mind completely shut off.”

The memorabilia Durante held onto included a ticket stub signed by Maris from that day, Maris’ own Zippo lighter that the two both used to light cigarettes in the locker room and a ball signed by Maris, Durante and Tracy Stallard, the Red Sox pitcher who gave up the home run.

“He had a nice run with this,” Tom Durante, the son, said. “In 1976, when they opened up the new-old Yankee Stadium, he threw out the first ball to Graig Nettles. Then at the 25th anniversary, they invited him up there with my mom. Then on the 50th anniversary he brought out the ball — that is now in the Hall of Fame — to the Maris family.”

Way to go Aaron!!!!! Didn't see it live but that was one hellacious game ending...

I remember being at the stadium with a pal who was a big NYY fan. Yanks down a bunch, top of the ninth. My friend, who drove said he was leaving. Told him we should stay. He said OK, then you can take the subway home cause I have had enough. Driving down the FDR. Yanks get a run or 2 and are down 2, 2 on, Nettles up. I still bust my friend to this day that he gave up hope and we missed Nettles game winner. Cant imagine anyone leaving the stadium last night, but I bet some did...

On Sunday all four NYC teams win. Last night both baseball teams win on a grand slam.

Stanton has a no trade clause in his contract and you would need him to waive that clause in order to trade him.

Nobody will trade for Stanton unless Yanks continue to pay half of his salary.He is a part time player in effect since he loses significant time to injuries every year.How a 32 year old pro athlete gets injured every year when he is mostly a DH is a mystery.

FWIW

At this point you would simply have to give away Hicks. No one is talking him at $10M per year for the rest of his contract.

Stanton is untradeable unless the Yankees eat most of his contract and that's not happening.

No one is taking Donaldson with one year left on his exorbitant contract.
Stanton has a no-trade clause. He basically engineered his way to the Yankees because he refused deals to the Cardinals and Giants.

Even if you get him to waive the no-trade (i.e. pay him), he reportedly has five years and $150 remaining on his contract plus an option for 2028 worth $25 million or a $10 million buyout.

Bats and balls only? Did they also get some magic beans?

The ball has an estimated value of $100,000 - $150,000. Kid was extremely generous to give it back, period. Yanks should have kicked in a team-signed bat, some playoff tickets, etc. He basically got $1,500 in merch for him, and $500 for each friend. Organization should have done more for him without being solicited to do so - that ball tied Babe Ruth's record for pete's sake.

Reactions: SHUMAN and TomD82
The ball has an estimated value of $100,000 - $150,000. Kid was extremely generous to give it back, period. Yanks should have kicked in a team-signed bat, some playoff tickets, etc. He basically got $1,500 in merch for him, and $500 for each friend. Organization should have done more for him without being solicited to do so - that ball tied Babe Ruth's record for pete's sake.
Generous or naive? Judge should have followed the Maris precedent and told the kid to sell it. And if the ball is that meaningful to Judge he could just reach into his deep pockets and buy it himself.
But maybe an auction on the ball where kid keeps half and half goes to a worthwhile charity would be a reasonable outcome.

Reactions: donnie_baseball

Roger Maris’ $5,000 advice to Sal Durante, who caught his 61st homer​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Sal Durante was 19 years old in 1961 when he caught Roger Maris’ record-breaking 61st home run ball, and it was an experience he cherished for 60 years.

Durante was with his girlfriend, Rosemarie, who would become his wife, on a double date in the right field bleachers for Yankees-Red Sox — and she paid for the tickets.

“I was broke at the time, and Rosemarie loaned me $10 so I could buy four tickets at $2.50 each,” Durante explained to the Seattle Times in 2016. “Rosemarie never let me forget the loan.”

With Aaron Judge looking certain to pass Maris’ mark — which many baseball fans and media consider to be the true single-season home run record, given the PED usage in which Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds were implicated — the magical 1961 season is getting revisited from every angle.

“I heard the crack of the bat and saw it headed toward the right-field bleachers where we were sitting,” Durante said in 2016. “I jumped up on my seat and stretched as high as I could, and the ball slammed into the palm of my bare hand.”

GettyImages-128831532.jpg

Sal Durante holds up Roger Maris’ 61st home run ball on the 50th anniversary in 2011.
Getty Images

Red Barber, calling the game on WPIX, implied that the lucky fan who caught the ball would receive $5,000.

Durante was happy to return the ball and receive nothing but a “thank you” from Maris in return. Instead, he recalled Maris telling him, “Keep it, kid. Put it up for auction. Somebody will pay you a lot of money for the ball. He’ll keep it for a couple of days and then give it to me.”

That somebody was California restaurateur Sam Gordon, who did just that.

GettyImages-52246965.jpg

Sal Durante and Roger Maris in 1961.
Diamond Images/Getty Images

According to the CPI calculator, which measures the tides of inflation, the $5,000 Durante received in 1961 is the equivalent of nearly $50,000 today. It’s hard fathom what the ball would fetch in an auction today.

Durante was a Brooklyn-based truck driver at the time he caught the ball; he would later drive a school bus for 30 years until his retirement at the age of 62. About 20 years ago, Sal and Rosemarie moved from Brooklyn to Staten Island.

Rosemarie passed about eight years ago. As of the past several months, Durante, now 80, is hospitalized and suffering from dementia, his son, Tom, a 58-year-old New York City real estate broker, informed The Post.

“He still had — and still has — all his pictures of him and Maris through the house. He would talk about it,” the son said. “If we asked questions about it until recently, he would have known the answers. About one-and-half months ago, his mind completely shut off.”

The memorabilia Durante held onto included a ticket stub signed by Maris from that day, Maris’ own Zippo lighter that the two both used to light cigarettes in the locker room and a ball signed by Maris, Durante and Tracy Stallard, the Red Sox pitcher who gave up the home run.

“He had a nice run with this,” Tom Durante, the son, said. “In 1976, when they opened up the new-old Yankee Stadium, he threw out the first ball to Graig Nettles. Then at the 25th anniversary, they invited him up there with my mom. Then on the 50th anniversary he brought out the ball — that is now in the Hall of Fame — to the Maris family.”
Saw Marris’ 61 on TV. I thought then and still think that Red’s call was awful.

What’s amazing is the pitcher that Maris hit his 60th shot his age on the golf course last week.

Generous or naive? Judge should have followed the Maris precedent and told the kid to sell it. And if the ball is that meaningful to Judge he could just reach into his deep pockets and buy it himself.
But maybe an auction on the ball where kid keeps half and half goes to a worthwhile charity would be a reasonable outcome.

I dunno, but I wanted to be generous by referring to him as generous :)
Personally, I don't like when athletes and teams rely on fans' "generosity". Both of the former have untold millions at their disposal, and could easily change their life for the better in a situation like this.

This 60th homer ball is historic, someone could have flipped him $50k and neither party would have felt the difference. Reminds me of the Brady situation, the guy that gave back that football got fleeced, and here is one of the richest athletes in sports history "thanking him". Like, dude, help the fan out a bit if it's that important to you.

FWIW

At this point you would simply have to give away Hicks. No one is talking him at $10M per year for the rest of his contract.

Stanton is untradeable unless the Yankees eat most of his contract and that's not happening.

No one is taking Donaldson with one year left on his exorbitant contract.
Hey, the Dodgers took Joey Gallo,, paid his full salary and gave them a strong pitching prospect.

Eat what it takes to move on. Yanks don't do this enough. They keep their mistakes around which isn't good for anyone.

Hicks you'll have to eat almost all $30M.i
Donaldson you'd have to eat around $10 Million. He's still a great defensive 3B. His attitude/personality just don't fit the Pinstripes.

Stanton is owed 5 more years at $160. Probably have to eat almost half that.

Reactions: Bud Boomer
Hey, the Dodgers took Joey Gallo,, paid his full salary and gave them a strong pitching prospect.

Eat what it takes to move on. Yanks don't do this enough. They keep their mistakes around which isn't good for anyone.

Hicks you'll have to eat almost all $30M.i
Donaldson you'd have to eat around $10 Million. He's still a great defensive 3B. His attitude/personality just don't fit the Pinstripes.

Stanton is owed 5 more years at $160. Probably have to eat almost half that.
The problem is the yankees will stink of desperation to get rid of these guys. Nobody is going to pay Stanton who turns 33 this offseason and batting around .210, $15 mil per year for the next 5 years for a guy who bats .210. If they get a buyer at that rate they should jump all over it. They're going to be paying a fortune for guys not to play for them. It may be best for the team, but will sting the wallet so I doubt they make those moves.

btw, wall 3 feet high in maris' day? up to the guys waist in the video

The problem is the yankees will stink of desperation to get rid of these guys. Nobody is going to pay Stanton who turns 33 this offseason and batting around .210, $15 mil per year for the next 5 years for a guy who bats .210. If they get a buyer at that rate they should jump all over it. They're going to be paying a fortune for guys not to play for them. It may be best for the team, but will sting the wallet so I doubt they make those moves.
I would personally donate $100 to never see Aaron Hicks again.

The greatest skill of this front office has been turning Yankees fans into amateur baseball accountants. Everyone seems more interested in balancing the team's payroll and spending than having great players on the roster.

• Haha
Reactions: donnie_baseball
Where does he wind up next year.If it is any other team yankee fans will voice great constranation,if it is Mets they will go ballistic

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT