ADVERTISEMENT

ACC votes to invite Stanford, Cal, SMU

32nd, 34th Yahoo! 37,000 fans at a game. The Ivy Leagu gets that attendance in smaller markets. KU gets more fans in Lawrence than UC and virtually no one on the Missouri side of the border could care less about KU football or b-ball for that matter. ((Lived there too). 37K fans average doesn’t cut it in a Power 5/4 conference. PS, my former law partner’s father in law donated the $$ to build the ConDome for b-ball. So I’m quite familiar with the overall historical lack of interest in UC football and the success of b-ball & it’s fans following it to away games & sell outs at home during that same period. Enough!
Lol, just because you don't like facts doesn't make them not facts. The market size for the Hartford/New Haven DMA is still the market size, and doesn't include about 1 million people who live in Fairfield County.

37,000 people may not seem like a lot if you were to compare it to say capacity at Michigan which is 100,000, but it's a great indication of the support for a program which is just a year and a half removed from 10 years of profoundly bad football ending in an 1 and 11 season. So when you say "no one cares about football in Connecticut" my responses well last Thursday night 37,000 people did.

Again, those are facts. I'd like to say I'm sorry that you feel threatened by them, but I don't.

[Shrugs]

37,000 crowds are peanuts in Power 5 football
At the higher levels, sure, but it's a pretty strong number for a Connecticut team working its way back to respectability, particularly on a Thursday night.

(For what it's worth the average college football attendance in 2022 was 41,800. Connecticut being 4000 less than that number for a weeknight opening day game isn't "peanuts".)

Last edited:
Unlikely. Their opening day figure was 52,000 I think. That's more than capacity for us.
I’d probably divide that by at least 2. Rutgers counts both real and imaginary fans with the latter being the higher number.

I’d probably divide that by at least 2. Rutgers counts both real and imaginary fans with the latter being the higher number.
True, but that's kind of the norm in college football attendance figures. So if you're going to make an apples to apples comparison you have to use the announce total which is "tickets distributed."

Comparing Rutgers and UConn football...like comparing which political party has contributed more to the deficit....

At the higher levels, sure, but it's a pretty strong number for a Connecticut team working its way back to respectability, particularly on a Thursday night.

(For what it's worth the average college football attendance in 2022 was 41,800. Connecticut being 4000 less than that number for a weeknight opening day game isn't "peanuts".)
I‘d be very curious to see what the average is for Power 5 schools, because who cares about an average that includes the MAC, AAC and all of those other Group of 5 schools.

I’m quite sure bragging about one 37,000 crowd is laughable among the Power 5 world.

So yeah, it is peanuts.

• Haha
Reactions: CL82
I‘d be very curious to see what the average is for Power 5 schools, because who cares about an average that includes the MAC, AAC and all of those other Group of 5 schools.

I’m quite sure bragging about one 37,000 crowd is laughable among the Power 5 world.

So yeah, it is peanuts.
Yeah, I guess, except when someone says no one cares about Connecticut football is it bragging to point out 37,000 people cared?

In any event, on a Thursday night 37,000 people turned out to watch Connecticut football, within 4000 of the 2022 average. To call it peanuts is kind of silly or at least woefully under informed. It's OK, you can admit it.

Yeah, I guess, except when someone says no one cares about Connecticut football is it bragging to point out 37,000 people cared?

In any event, on a Thursday night 37,000 people turned out to watch Connecticut football, within 4000 of the 2022 average. To call it peanuts is kind of silly or at least woefully under informed. It's OK, you can admit it.
Nah, don’t think so.

Rutgers, or at least it’s b-ball fans, count the year the NCAAs were canceled before Selection Sunday as a Tourney appearance for them, 😱
They have imaginary fans and imaginary tournament appearances! I’m thinking when the football money grabs finally implode and conferences start lopping off the dead wood Rutgers will be the first to go and willing be begging to get back to the A10 where they never should have left.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJVegas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT