ADVERTISEMENT

Al-Amir Dawes

SnakeTom

May 29, 2001
Great season, game and Tournament by Al Amir Dawes. So where are those hoops experts who wanted him benched early in the season. I guess coach Sha knows more about his team and players than those Hoops experts. You don't bench players who hit on about 40% of their treys.

Tom K

In the spirit of uhcf- Where r those cats that are wannabe cyo coaches now, awfully quiet, prob sippin on zima’s. Let Sha be Sha, sit back and slug some other half or Tired Hand ipas.

On a side note it was nice after Utah fans left that I was able to move down and sit courtside and watch the Pirates Boat Race the Bulldogs to an 18-3 start

Hinkle is awesome

Last edited:
Sorry but Dawes was the best outside shooter on last years team as well as the best shooter on this years team. Good shooters like Dawes have to keep shooting to find their groove. Keep them on the bench and they will never find that groove. Also he is our only consistent deep shooter and as a result was double teamed in every game.

Tom K

Sorry but Dawes was the best outside shooter on last years team as well as the best shooter on this years team. Good shooters like Dawes have to keep shooting to find their groove. Keep them on the bench and they will never find that groove. Also he is our only consistent deep shooter and as a result was double teamed in every game.

Tom K
Not saying they’re even close to on the same level, but by that logic…should Sanders then have played more?

Great season, game and Tournament by Al Amir Dawes. So where are those hoops experts who wanted him benched early in the season. I guess coach Sha knows more about his team and players than those Hoops experts. You don't bench players who hit on about 40% of their treys.

Tom K
They coaching 3rd grade cyo or yelling from the stands their kid shouldn’t be riding pine n get a participation trophy. SSwRJ

Reactions: sussexcopirate
Dawes was the hardest working kid on the team, nobody wanted to win more than him. He’s leading us now, he wants to win this championship. We are going to need all hands on deck Thursday night defensively or this Indiana state team will pick us apart. Great offense vs. great defense.

I’ll be the first to admit to suggesting line-up changes early on to send a message to Dawes on his sloppy play. When we talk about player development, just look at how Al has transformed his game. He was always a good shooter but his tempo is totally different.

Crow eaten.

I was critical of Dawes shot selection early. I have to eat my words and give all the credit to him and Sha. Sha has said many times how hard Dawes works and it shows. The kid has an incredible motor too - never seems to get tired.

Dawes is the reason we have gotten this far in this tournament. He willed that St Joe's win and has played incredible basketball the whole tourney and from the start of the BE season. Major kudos to him for continuing to work hard and taking Sha's coaching. When he gets hot, its fun to watch and he can turn the game on a dime.

If we win Thursday, there is probably no better person to get NIT Tourney MVP - he's earned it. Congrats to him for a great season at SHU!

Tom K
I’d want that his shot was off that Oriole wanted him benched. He was. Awful. Turn overs driving 1 on 3 in a wild shot. Step back in every shot which lead to run outs of long rebounds. Defensive lapses. I’m glad he was able to straighten it out and have a great season. To pretend it didn’t start out rough is ignorance.

hes done a 180 in the NIT, but hes a big reason we're in the NIT and not the NCAA. him and wusu had many games they were nukes to our success. dre, bediako, and richmond have been good all year (richmond inconsistent but never a nuke)

it really is night and day, but too little too late. lets not revise history.

Reactions: shu09
I’d want that his shot was off that Oriole wanted him benched. He was. Awful. Turn overs driving 1 on 3 in a wild shot. Step back in every shot which lead to run outs of long rebounds. Defensive lapses. I’m glad he was able to straighten it out and have a great season. To pretend it didn’t start out rough is ignorance.
He started out rough. No one denies that. But he is one of us and there are better ways to criticize then what was posted here back then.

hes done a 180 in the NIT, but hes a big reason we're in the NIT and not the NCAA. him and wusu had many games they were nukes to our success. dre, bediako, and richmond have been good all year (richmond inconsistent but never a nuke)

Revisionist history is acting as if posters weren't literally calling him terrible, saying he isn't a D1 player, hoping he'd never play again, etc

Revisionist history is acting as if posters weren't literally calling him terrible, saying he isn't a D1 player, hoping he'd never play again, etc
How about these guys calling him dumb, unintelligent and other personal stuff that they have no right saying about anyone let alone someone they don’t really know. Those guys are the revisionists.

Ok, so now Dawes is the reason we didn’t make the NCAAT! He’s our only reliable 3 point shooter. Teams loaded up on him. If he wasn’t making 3s it was tough for us to win. Plus he averaged over 13 a game. Dawes never nuked the offense. We just didn’t have any other options when other teams worked to shut him down.

Reactions: SnakeTom
How about these guys calling him dumb, unintelligent and other personal stuff that they have no right saying about anyone let alone someone they don’t really know. Those guys are the revisionists.
Agree...one thing to question the rotation and Sha's decisions, but the personal attacks are egregious and keyboard warrior stuff. I would like to see a poster that takes personal shots tell that to the player.

Ok, so now Dawes is the reason we didn’t make the NCAAT! He’s our only reliable 3 point shooter. Teams loaded up on him. If he wasn’t making 3s it was tough for us to win. Plus he averaged over 13 a game. Dawes never nuked the offense. We just didn’t have any other options when other teams worked to shut him down.
hes not the only reason. but if he played a fraction as good as he is now we'd be in the ncaas. just a fact. were crowning a guy during a good stretch of teams highlighted by at joes as the best team.

Reactions: shu09 and Gohall129
Dawes has great talent. I really think he improved his ability to pass and play within the team concept from playing with Kadary. It took a season and a third for him to transition into the team concept. Now that he has he really is an amazing player. He always had the alpha dog, shoot-first-ask-questions-later stance, which is valuable in certain contexts. But i really believe his watching Kadary run an offense and his playing beside Kadary really deepened his basketball IQ. I think Kadary had that effect on the whole team.

Reactions: PF58
hes not the only reason. but if he played a fraction as good as he is now we'd be in the ncaas. just a fact. were crowning a guy during a good stretch of teams highlighted by at joes as the best team.
SHUSA
You used the term "big" reason. I don't feel so, reason was lack of depth and no other shooters as an outlet and the myriad of legitimate observations made by others. We should all sit back and enjoy tomorrow nite and see what the portal brings and hopefully our freshman commits hold steady as well

The point isn't about if Dawes got better or not as the season progressed (he did). It's a reminder that a number of posters here were saying indefensible, mean things about him (and others) as a player and person this season.

No one who wrote such stuff can go back in time and unwrite it (though I suppose they could go back and edit their posts if they wanted). What they can do, however, is to reflect on the above and take note the next time they get the impulse to aggressively and personally malign players based on their performance in the future. And then not do it.

Dawes’ season is crazy. His offensive rating this year is 111.2 overall, which his good and a big improvement from last year (100.1).

But his worst came at the most inopportune times, unfortunately. If you back to rock bottom against Rutgers on December 7th when he jacked up 15 three-pointers in that game and only made 3, it was probably the worst stretch of his career. The team fell to 5-4, losing all 4 games to power conference teams. By that point he was fine against the cupcakes but had posted the following offensive ratings in the 4 critical games we needed: 52 (USC), 94 (Iowa), 50 (Baylor), and 64 (Rutgers). Brutal. Yeah. A guy with a career-high 111.2 this year over 36 games

Then the team had that weird game against Monmouth where Holloway basically benched the starters during the game (Dawes only played 23 minutes despite good shooting) and our freshmen bailed us out followed by the pow-wow meeting before Missouri. Over our final 27 games he only had an 83 or lower in a game 4x and was above 100 in 18 of them.

We have no other guard who is a reliable option from the perimeter. It puts a ton of weight on him and he’s played well after that bad start. I’m glad to see him going out on a high note because I do appreciate his effort and relentless. Holloway raves about his work ethic, which speaks volumes

Reactions: Section112
The point isn't about if Dawes got better or not as the season progressed (he did). It's a reminder that a number of posters here were saying indefensible, mean things about him (and others) as a player and person this season.

No one who wrote such stuff can go back in time and unwrite it (though I suppose they could go back and edit their posts if they wanted). What they can do, however, is to reflect on the above and take note the next time they get the impulse to aggressively and personally malign players based on their performance in the future. And then not do it.
The players are getting paid to be here. Expect increased criticism as a result of that.

they’ve surrendered the right to be “just college kids. They are now high paid athletes which leaves them open to criticism

The players are getting paid to be here. Expect increased criticism as a result of that.

they’ve surrendered the right to be “just college kids. They are now high paid athletes which leaves them open to criticism
So you're on board with calling players - not their play - stupid, low intelligence, terrible, idiots, etc because they receive money?

Reactions: radecicco
So you're on board with calling players - not their play - stupid, low intelligence, terrible, idiots, etc because they receive money?
Most posters are Saying these in reference to what’s being done on the basketball court. During the Baylor game I said Dawes was incredibly low IQ. That was because of his decisions on the court. Has Nothing to do with who he is as a person.

If you are going to be a professional and get paid to play a sport, then you will be criticized. That’s the reality of the world we live in.

Most posters are Saying these in reference to what’s being done on the basketball court. During the Baylor game I said Dawes was incredibly low IQ. That was because of his decisions on the court. Has Nothing to do with who he is as a person.

If you are going to be a professional and get paid to play a sport, then you will be criticized. That’s the reality of the world we live in.
Well then these messages aren't for you or them. Is there a particular reason you need to argue against something that isn't being argued rather than just let this be for those who it would seem you'd agree would benefit from giving it consideration?

Reactions: lloyde dobler

Ok, so now this justifies personal verbal attacks on players’ character, motivation, and personalities. A convenient excuse to justify deplorable behavior even for a message board.

Ok, so now this justifies personal verbal attacks on players’ character, motivation, and personalities. A convenient excuse to justify deplorable behavior even for a message board.
I’m not defending, supporting, etc. I’m commenting on the reality of the sports world including our board which is incredibly tame relative to other schools

I’m not defending, supporting, etc. I’m commenting on the reality of the sports world including our board which is incredibly tame relative to other schools
But you're commenting to me on something other than what I'm writing. I give up.

he was awful in the first half and the worst part was he was 1) selfish 2) low IQ and turnovers 3) bad on d to the point where it was a negative impact on the team.

nothing changes that and if he played like a senior we would have been dancing.

NIT MVP is almost poetic

he was awful in the first half and the worst part was he was 1) selfish 2) low IQ and turnovers 3) bad on d to the point where it was a negative impact on the team.

NIT MVP is almost poetic
Why do I write things for people who refuse to read them?

Rhetorical question for me, not one anyone needs to answer.

There was a time he was really bad. I’m glad he was able to right the ship so to speak. They ended up having a tremendous season. It started out on a terrible path.

NIT MVP is almost poetic
This is a bit harsh. He about a 5-6 game run where he was awful but to say that is the reason we’re not in NCAA is not accurate. He scored close 17pts per game during BE schedule. Kadary missing time mid season with that injury during first SJU game is more to blame. We likely beat Crieghton with a healthy Richmond and don’t lose to PC.

Tom K
That is true of all fan bases. If he shoots 2-14 from 3 tomorrow, they will be killing him again.

Reactions: SnakeTom
He was playing out of control and selfishly in the beginning of the season. That's one of the reasons we underperformed in the non-confetence schedule. He corrected his play as Big East play began and has shone ever since. He has been great since then.
That is a very accurate review of the situation.

Reactions: SHallguy2

NIT MVP is almost poetic
You just can’t give it up and now you just sound shrill repeating the same stuff over and over again.. Low IQ, selfish. Dawes cost us a bid. Just foolish stuff.

How do you know he was selfish? How? Please tell me. The entire team was bad in the OOC. Maybe Dawes was trying to do too much because his coach wanted/needed him to do more? I don’t know and neither do you.

And it wasn’t the first half of the season, Dawes was a mainstay from the Monmouth game on. His scoring in the BE was higher than his full season average. He was the back up point guard. He was the only guy who could stretch the opposition’s defense. On defense he always played the other teams fastest guard. But yeah, he cost us a bid.

I don’t know you but sometimes you just sound like a miserable person with the personal crap you throw at players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT