ADVERTISEMENT

ALL RISE!!!

SHU_Pirate1

All American
Mar 18, 2016
Last edited:
SEE YA

Fd0HA-nXEAAGfHC

An amazing player but an even better person. A truly class act and certainly one of the most respected players in baseball.. It’s not only been fun to watch him on his historical journey this season but to watch someone do it the right way , respecting the game and with no showboating.

I'm old enough to remember Roger Maris. He like Judge was a humble and quiet man. Class and honor was his calling card and how special is it that the man who has matched his American League record is a mirror image of him?

I have an extensive sports memorabilia collection and next to my favorite pieces, a bronze statue of Mickey Mantle and another piece with his signature, are one of Roger Maris in his classic uppercut swing and Judge in his follow through from the Danbury Mint.

An amazing player but an even better person. A truly class act and certainly one of the most respected players in baseball.. It’s not only been fun to watch him on his historical journey this season but to watch someone do it the right way , respecting the game and with no showboating.
Judge is going to have the Brinks truck back-up after this season is over. I don't know him, but given the way he carries himself, I can see him doing some of the things beyond baseball like Jeter has done.

Roger-Maris-Jr..jpg

Aaron Judge greets Roger Maris Jr. after he tied his father’s 61 home run mark in the Yankees’ 8-3 win over the Blue Jays.N.Y. Post:
Charles Wenzelberg

Roger Maris Jr.: ‘Clean’ Aaron Judge will be real homer champ​

By Dan Martin

TORONTO— Roger Maris Jr. said Aaron Judge should be considered the single-season home run champ when he breaks Roger Maris’ record of 61 homers.

“It means a lot, not just for me. I think it means a lot for a lot of people that he’s clean, he’s a Yankee, he plays the game the right way and I think he gives people a chance to look at somebody who should be revered for hitting 62 home runs and not just as a guy who did it in the American League,’’ Maris Jr. said after watching Judge tie the record his father set in 1961 on Wednesday in an 8-3 Yankees win over the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre.

“He should be revered and celebrated just like the single season home run champ, not just like he’s the American league home run champ,’’ Maris Jr. said. “He should be celebrated. I can’t think of anyone better that baseball can look up to as Aaron Judge, who is the face of baseball, to actually do that.”

Asked if he considered Barry Bonds’, Mark McGwire’s and Sammy Sosa’s milestones to be illegitimate, Maris Jr. said: “I do. I think most people do.”

MLB has previously said it will continue to look at Bonds’ record of 73 home runs hit in 2001 as the official record.

Maris Jr. has been at each of the last nine Yankees games, and watched Judge get to 60 on Sept. 20.

But he chose not to meet Judge until after the game Wednesday, when they greeted each other outside the clubhouse. Maris Jr. sat next to Judge’s mother, Patty, at the game.

“The philosophy was, ‘Let Aaron do what Aaron is doing, trying to hit the home runs and not be a distraction,’ ” Maris Jr. said. “Obviously, the Yankees are trying to get a playoff berth. … I didn’t want to meet him until he actually hits the home run.”

That took a while. Judge went seven games without a homer, his second-longest stretch without one this season.

“Aaron’s driving us around from country to country, trying to watch him hit his 61st,’’ Maris Jr. said with a smile. “It’s been kind of crazy. It seemed like every time he comes to bat, it’s a 3-2 count, so we get to sit there and just [deal with] anticipation on anticipation, pitch after pitch after pitch.”

That ended, fittingly, on a 3-2 pitch from Toronto’s Tim Mayza, as Judge crushed a 117-mph laser over the left field wall in the top of the seventh.

“The ironic thing was, it’s the ninth day I’ve been here,’’ Maris Jr. said. “He wears 99, my dad wore 9. It’s just kind of weird the way it all went together.”

And now Maris Jr. will head with Judge to The Bronx waiting for the next one.

“Now I’m thinking, ‘OK, we’re going to go to Yankee Stadium and he’ll probably hit 62 on October the first, when dad hit his 61st,’ ’’ Maris Jr. said. “Just a lot of weird similarities.”

He expects it to happen quickly.

I don’t think it’s going to take very long,’’ Maris Jr. said. “I think he’s loose. I think the party [for the division title on Tuesday], the celebration, I think loosened him up. After he hit that home run and came to bat the next time you could just see his face, I mean, he hit another seed. You can tell he’s back and he’s ready to go.

“I think it will happen in New York and it’s where you want it to happen. It’s where I want it to happen. The city of New York deserves it, the fans deserve it. I think it will be great for baseball if it happens in New York. Like I mentioned to Aaron, ‘Get to New York and hit 62 and knock the top off Yankee Stadium.’ It’s going to be fun.”

And if Judge does get it, Maris Jr. said Roger Maris would be pleased.

“He would obviously be very proud of Aaron because of the way he carries himself, the way he comes to the ballpark every day mentally prepared, physically prepared,” Maris Jr. said. “It’s all about doing the team thing. It’s all about winning, and the focus on winning a championship and bringing a world championship [to the Yankees].”

Living in WPIX channel 11 territory as a youngster, and now having access to MLB Network, I've had the pleasure of seeing both Maris and Judge hit number 61 in real time. In both instances, when bat met ball you knew they had done it. The parallels between the two men are amazing. Both right fielders, very good defensively with strong throwing arms; solid baserunners, the #9s, both solid citizens and unassuming teammates who were/are great representatives of the game. When Judge next sees Hal Steinbrenner, he'll be saying howdy partner.

What a breath of fresh air. Humbly runs around the bases like it was just another home run. No histrionics. No staring at home plate. No look at me gestures. Many might disagree in our current time but Aaron Judge epitomizes what a athlete should be. A man's man.

Congratulations.

What a breath of fresh air. Humbly runs around the bases like it was just another home run. No histrionics. No staring at home plate. No look at me gestures. Many might disagree in our current time but Aaron Judge epitomizes what a athlete should be. A man's man.

Congratulations.
Well said, he’s clearly the center piece to build any team around. He’s everything that’s missing in sports right now. He is filling the spot left behind by Jeter perfectly.

Congratulations.
And for the record that is exactly how Mickey Mantle, my hero as a youngster ran around the base 536 times. Head down, quick gate and not a single hint of look at me.

I did the same my whole life because of him, but didn't come close to doing it 536 times. LOL

Should Judge play today?

I say yes. He needs a few hits, not sure exactly how many, to win the batting crown. That would mean beside being the single season all time leader in home runs in the AL he could win the Triple Crown.

If he doesn't get a hit in his first or second at bats then make a decision whether to pull him or not.

Should Judge play today?

I say yes. He needs a few hits, not sure exactly how many, to win the batting crown. That would mean beside being the single season all time leader in home runs in the AL he could win the Triple Crown.

If he doesn't get a hit in his first or second at bats then make a decision whether to pull him or not.
He should DH the whole game. They have 5 days off coming up. Sorry to sound like Willard but the scheduling stinks.

Should Judge play today?

He should play! Give him a shot !

He would need 4 hits in 5 at bats to reach 314.78 BA
3 FOR 3 ALSO EQUALS 314

Still would have liked to see him take a shot at the Triple Crown. That's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Reactions: Abbo71 and Harty9
Young and old alike could learn a lot on how to conduct themselves whether it's on the court, the field or the diamond from Aaron Judge. Congratulations number 99.
Over the years waching my son play sports, the kids almost always fine. But some adults were so bad. Ever see the Great Santini, sportsfans? Like him...

Reactions: Abbo71

Why Aaron Judge should be MLB’s rightful home run champ now​

By Jon Heyman

The verdict is in, and not just from the Judge’s Chambers out at Yankee Stadium, either: Aaron Judge, who hit his historic 62nd home run Tuesday night, is now the rightful record-holder of the single-season record.

Move over, Roger Maris, whose 61 home runs in 1961 should have been viewed as the real record for the last 24 years as well as the previous 37. It surely would have been if not for three enhanced National League sluggers who decided to game the system by loading up on the best stuff Victor Conte and other assorted aiders, abettors, mad scientists and crooked trainers had to offer.

I get it. A lot of fans want to believe in their heroes. They either don’t want to think they wasted their time following the great home run chase in 1998 and ’01 or they love numbers so much they accept them as fact when some of them are quite obviously fugazy, as legit as a street corner three-card monte game.

Technically, MLB still recognizes Barry Bonds as the record-holder, and that’s not about to change. But we know better.

Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa changed the equation by loading up on the good stuff, transforming their bodies and tilting the game so far in their favor that they became superhuman almost overnight. Bonds, McGwire and Sosa get to keep their undeserved trophies and their ill-gotten extra loot. But anyone who truly believes they merit their records, too, must see Danny Almonte as a great Little Leaguer, Lance Armstrong as the best bicyclist and Tonya Harding as a deserving Olympian.

If ever a situation warranted an asterisk — at the very least — this is it. I understand it isn’t an easy call. The last time the dreaded asterisk was invoked, commissioner Ford Frick, the Babe Ruth buddy who decreed it to diminish Maris’ rightful record, became known as the biggest Frick in the game.

That asterisk idea was asinine, of course, which is why they eventually removed it. But here, it wasn’t just a matter of a few more games as it was with Maris. Bonds, McGwire and Sosa changed their physiology and cheated the game and all of us. No way this trio in infamy should be celebrated.

Roger Maris Jr., by all appearances a very honorable man, traveled around with McGwire in 1998, hoping against all appearances that the McGwire-Sosa homer pursuit was legit. We all naively accepted McGwire’s obvious transformation into a condo-sized terror to pitchers who reduced pitching friendly Busch Stadium to his personal Big Mac Land. But now we know it was all a big put-on, and when he was asked about it, Maris Jr. only stated the obvious that Judge was about to become the legit record-holder.

I do think Maris Jr. is probably wrong that that’s the majority opinion. If the 1990s were the era of don’t ask, don’t tell, this is a time of steroid fatigue. That was an era where cheaters knew not to admit what they were doing because they knew it would delegitimize what they were doing. Now we know. We have the goods on them. Yet sadly, we continue to look the other way.

MLB by all appearance is doing a good job of flushing steroids out of the game. Some skeptics will disagree, and maybe I’m still naïve, but no one’s head looks like a beach ball today, and only one player is setting records. MLB still tests frequently, but only one star was foolish enough to get caught this season — Fernando Tatis Jr., that amateur San Diego motorcyclist who later made the absurd claim he was trying to fight ringworm with accidental anabolic steroids. While that’s preposterous, it’s nice to see that steroids are so poorly regarded in some circles that you’d rather be known as a liar and/or a guy no one wants to go near.

Some will say McGwire and Sosa saved baseball, and if they contributed to the sport’s comeback, that’s great. But they and Bonds didn’t do it for the good of the game. They did it to earn more accolades, collect more hardware and make more moolah, which they did do.

The repo man isn’t about to come to remove their trophies. But some justice can still be served. An acknowledgment can be made about what we all know to be true — that they did not do it legitimately.

It’s much more complicated for the commissioner, who isn’t about to do what I recommend for many reasons. He doesn’t want to open many cans of worms when different eras were known for different indiscretions. He may also not want to shine a light on the worst of the baseball eras, and move the conversation from the great and unfailingly good Judge to a loosey-goosey time best forgotten.

Commissioner Rob Manfred understandably doesn’t want to be in the business of endlessly chasing justice, which will always be elusive and is sure to produce messy results. But if we are being completely honest, the record rightfully belongs to one Aaron James Judge.

Reactions: Abbo71
We all know that Judge is the legitimate home run champ. Just as we all know he is the legitimate MVP in the American League for the year 2017.

Why Aaron Judge should be MLB’s rightful home run champ now​

By Jon Heyman

The verdict is in, and not just from the Judge’s Chambers out at Yankee Stadium, either: Aaron Judge, who hit his historic 62nd home run Tuesday night, is now the rightful record-holder of the single-season record.

Move over, Roger Maris, whose 61 home runs in 1961 should have been viewed as the real record for the last 24 years as well as the previous 37. It surely would have been if not for three enhanced National League sluggers who decided to game the system by loading up on the best stuff Victor Conte and other assorted aiders, abettors, mad scientists and crooked trainers had to offer.

I get it. A lot of fans want to believe in their heroes. They either don’t want to think they wasted their time following the great home run chase in 1998 and ’01 or they love numbers so much they accept them as fact when some of them are quite obviously fugazy, as legit as a street corner three-card monte game.

Technically, MLB still recognizes Barry Bonds as the record-holder, and that’s not about to change. But we know better.

Bonds, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa changed the equation by loading up on the good stuff, transforming their bodies and tilting the game so far in their favor that they became superhuman almost overnight. Bonds, McGwire and Sosa get to keep their undeserved trophies and their ill-gotten extra loot. But anyone who truly believes they merit their records, too, must see Danny Almonte as a great Little Leaguer, Lance Armstrong as the best bicyclist and Tonya Harding as a deserving Olympian.

If ever a situation warranted an asterisk — at the very least — this is it. I understand it isn’t an easy call. The last time the dreaded asterisk was invoked, commissioner Ford Frick, the Babe Ruth buddy who decreed it to diminish Maris’ rightful record, became known as the biggest Frick in the game.

That asterisk idea was asinine, of course, which is why they eventually removed it. But here, it wasn’t just a matter of a few more games as it was with Maris. Bonds, McGwire and Sosa changed their physiology and cheated the game and all of us. No way this trio in infamy should be celebrated.

Roger Maris Jr., by all appearances a very honorable man, traveled around with McGwire in 1998, hoping against all appearances that the McGwire-Sosa homer pursuit was legit. We all naively accepted McGwire’s obvious transformation into a condo-sized terror to pitchers who reduced pitching friendly Busch Stadium to his personal Big Mac Land. But now we know it was all a big put-on, and when he was asked about it, Maris Jr. only stated the obvious that Judge was about to become the legit record-holder.

I do think Maris Jr. is probably wrong that that’s the majority opinion. If the 1990s were the era of don’t ask, don’t tell, this is a time of steroid fatigue. That was an era where cheaters knew not to admit what they were doing because they knew it would delegitimize what they were doing. Now we know. We have the goods on them. Yet sadly, we continue to look the other way.

MLB by all appearance is doing a good job of flushing steroids out of the game. Some skeptics will disagree, and maybe I’m still naïve, but no one’s head looks like a beach ball today, and only one player is setting records. MLB still tests frequently, but only one star was foolish enough to get caught this season — Fernando Tatis Jr., that amateur San Diego motorcyclist who later made the absurd claim he was trying to fight ringworm with accidental anabolic steroids. While that’s preposterous, it’s nice to see that steroids are so poorly regarded in some circles that you’d rather be known as a liar and/or a guy no one wants to go near.

Some will say McGwire and Sosa saved baseball, and if they contributed to the sport’s comeback, that’s great. But they and Bonds didn’t do it for the good of the game. They did it to earn more accolades, collect more hardware and make more moolah, which they did do.

The repo man isn’t about to come to remove their trophies. But some justice can still be served. An acknowledgment can be made about what we all know to be true — that they did not do it legitimately.

It’s much more complicated for the commissioner, who isn’t about to do what I recommend for many reasons. He doesn’t want to open many cans of worms when different eras were known for different indiscretions. He may also not want to shine a light on the worst of the baseball eras, and move the conversation from the great and unfailingly good Judge to a loosey-goosey time best forgotten.

Commissioner Rob Manfred understandably doesn’t want to be in the business of endlessly chasing justice, which will always be elusive and is sure to produce messy results. But if we are being completely honest, the record rightfully belongs to one Aaron James Judge.
Hear Hear!

We all know that Judge is the legitimate home run champ. Just as we all know he is the legitimate MVP in the American League for the year 2017.
So the Yankees have only 22 championships? Because Pettite was a known and proven user of HGH which should nullify a few World Series. As was Aroid a known and proven user.

Add in Giambi and Clemens at the minimum and it’s a steroid laced 5 World Series.

If you and other Yankee fans concede that, I’ll say Judge is the legitimate homerun champ.

But you can’t have it both ways.

Congrats on the 7th most home runs of all time.

Tainted or not, nobody was looking at Sosa, McGwire or Bonds as tainted back when they hit theirs.

I was looking at Bonds, Sosa and McGwire as tainted while they were hitting thiers. A strict diet of chicken breasts and egg whites in addition to as many hours in the gym as possible will not get you to that level. You need supplements off the dark web to achieve that physique.

So the Yankees have only 22 championships? Because Pettite was a known and proven user of HGH which should nullify a few World Series. As was Aroid a known and proven user.

Add in Giambi and Clemens at the minimum and it’s a steroid laced 5 World Series.

If you and other Yankee fans concede that, I’ll say Judge is the legitimate homerun champ.

But you can’t have it both ways.
There's a difference in what is on record and what many believe.

It's not practical to expunge seasons and seasons of records based on different forms of cheating, some proven and some not. But that doesn't mean that one's beliefs can't be shared. And my beliefs are despite what the records say that of the all time leaders in homeruns per season only Judge among he, Bonds, Sosa and McGuire is legitimate.

And I feel the same with a known, not imagined cheater like Jose Altuve who knew what pitches were coming edging Judge for the 2017 MVP award.

Reactions: Section112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT