ADVERTISEMENT

An honest assessment of UConn

Discussing whether we would have won or lost depending on the Clingan injury is actually a moot point. We'll never know what would have happened. After all, he had 3 fouls when he got hurt. Wishing him the best to get well soon.

Great early Christmas present.

I’m not completely sold on clingan having a big impact if he stayed. Yes he had foul issues and bediako was playing him pretty tough but also they were down when he went out and whether it was due to the injury or not Hurley went to a smaller line up and so did we without bediako for a stretch.

Great early Christmas present.

I’m not completely sold on clingan having a big impact if he stayed. Yes he had foul issues and bediako was playing him pretty tough but also they were down when he went out and whether it was due to the injury or not Hurley went to a smaller line up and so did we without bediako for a stretch.
Hurley going to a small line-up was a direct effect of Johnson being ineffective and Clingan not being available.

Also, I'm sure he was hoping a quicker group would allow them to get shooters open for three-point looks.

All I’m saying is that I think last years UConn team is in a different universe than this UConn team. I don’t think it’s close
The Sanogo- Clingan combo at center last year was dominant. Not so this year. Big difference as Clingan is not going to play more than 25 minutes. Their back up center is not another Sanogo.

Noticing a theme… most of these hypotheticals are “If xyz happened differently, SHU would’ve had a harder time”

Uh, exactly... If SHU didn’t play as well, they might not have won. The sky is also blue, and fire is hot. Bold takes everyone!

If Clingan doesn't get hurt, he probably goes for something along the lines of 25 and 12 (he had 14 and seven in 14 minutes and took 12 FGA). As well as Bediako was playing him, Clingan is a beast to stop and it's more likely than not Bediako would gotten into foul trouble himself. Obviously, Clingan's also a tremendous presence on defense and that can't be replicated without him. Samson Johnson clearly did not have the same effect.

I thought we were very good defensively against the three. Yes, UConn missed a few good looks, but that happens. I felt as the game went on, they were not comfortable as a team taking that shot. Several of their later attempts (as they slipped into desperation mode) were a step deeper than they'd normally take.

I saw somewhere the belief UConn was tired. I can see that -- a back-and-forth trip to the west coast followed by disrupting your routine again to travel, even a short distance, can get you out of sorts. On the other hand, we did travel halfway across the country and back after playing two days later than they did.
I believe Bediako had 2 fouls when Clingan picked up his 3rd on the play he got hurt. Bediako and Richmond put Clingan in foul trouble.

The Sanogo- Clingan combo at center last year was dominant. Not so this year. Big difference as Clingan is not going to play more than 25 minutes. Their back up center is not another Sanogo.
Agreed.

Cam Spencer is not a replacement for Hawkins.

No one in the current lineup is a Lockdown defender like Andre Jackson was at times

personally i didnt see why uconn should be #5. not even sure who their best player is based on last night.

Reactions: Gohall129
I don’t think anyone is trying to disparage the effort of the Hall last night.

But I’m really confused as to why some posters are getting so defensive about the Clingan comments.

It was a two possession game and their most effective player with 14 points (7-12 fgs) 7 rebounds (5 offensive) was forced to leave the game. He is a preseason all-BE selection in the same category as Ighodaro, Dixon, Sschierman, and Jones.

It is just naive to say that the Hall was going to beat them no questions asked at that point.

It would be like saying we couldn’t come back after being down in a similar fashion to DePaul if Kadary goes down with an injury after having a strong game to that point. Give me a break. This board would be screaming how unfair the basketball gods are to us because there is no way we lose to DePaul without our best player on the floor.

So you can say great job to take advantage of the moment and at the same time acknowledge that the Pirates caught a bit of a break.

I don’t think anyone is trying to disparage the effort of the Hall last night.

But I’m really confused as to why some posters are getting so defensive about the Clingan comments.

It was a two possession game and their most effective player with 14 points (7-12 fgs) 7 rebounds (5 offensive) was forced to leave the game. He is a preseason all-BE selection in the same category as Ighodaro, Dixon, Sschierman, and Jones.

It is just naive to say that the Hall was going to beat them no questions asked at that point.

It would be like saying we couldn’t come back after being down in a similar fashion to DePaul if Kadary goes down with an injury after having a strong game to that point. Give me a break. This board would be screaming how unfair the basketball gods are to us because there is no way we lose to DePaul with our best player on the floor.

So you can say great job to take advantage of the moment and at the same time acknowledge that the Pirates caught a bit of a break.
Clingan did pick up his 3rd foul on the play he got injured. There was 16:33 to go in the game. He was likely coming out probably until the 12 minute mark. Not disagreeing with the logic of your post, but he was in foul trouble that would have limited his minutes.

If you're talking about me, I got on when I got home from the game and offered my congratulations in the notes thread. It was a complete victory by Seton Hall in all facets of the game. Annoying as all heck, but you guys came to play and we did not step up.

For what it's worth, to the posters who indicated that this was just an off night by Connecticut, I'd say that Seton Hall had a heck of a lot to do with that. They played great in your face defense, and were aided by Big East officiating which allows a lot of contact. Note, I'm not saying that it was home cooking by the refs or anything, I'm saying that big east basketball has always been physical. Seton Hall was ready for that and out toughed us. As I said last night, hopefully we can return the favor at our place.

Huge quad one win for you guys that has the potential to significantly help your postseason hopes if you continue to build off it.

Congrats, beating a top five team is always huge. Beating them decisively is even bigger.

(When is Kadary Richmond graduating again?)
Frankly a very classy post after absorbing the loss you just did.

I’ve always said you were a fair poster, and I think this conveys that.

Honestly…not sure if I was in the opposite position I would be so generous.

But I think you hit it right…for whatever reason, Seton Hall came out and played tight defense, and much more disciplined offense, and that combined to make this the game it was.

What happens in Storrs/Hartford…remains to be seen.

But for us Hall fans…it gives us a reason to believe…

Reactions: PMB Pirate and CL82
If Clingan doesn't get hurt, he probably goes for something along the lines of 25 and 12 (he had 14 and seven in 14 minutes and took 12 FGA). As well as Bediako was playing him, Clingan is a beast to stop and it's more likely than not Bediako would gotten into foul trouble himself. Obviously, Clingan's also a tremendous presence on defense and that can't be replicated without him. Samson Johnson clearly did not have the same effect.

I thought we were very good defensively against the three. Yes, UConn missed a few good looks, but that happens. I felt as the game went on, they were not comfortable as a team taking that shot. Several of their later attempts (as they slipped into desperation mode) were a step deeper than they'd normally take.

I saw somewhere the belief UConn was tired. I can see that -- a back-and-forth trip to the west coast followed by disrupting your routine again to travel, even a short distance, can get you out of sorts. On the other hand, we did travel halfway across the country and back after playing two days later than they did.
So maybe we win by less than 10…

Agreed.

No one in the current lineup is a Lock down defender like Andre Jackson was at times
But then again, it’s early. They will have time to develop that persona, just like, hopefully, we’re just turned a corner with our defensive effort.

Then again…both can be mirages

Noticing a theme… most of these hypotheticals are “If xyz happened differently, SHU would’ve had a harder time”

Uh, exactly... If SHU didn’t play as well, they might not have won. The sky is also blue, and fire is hot. Bold takes everyone!
Some still talked about Covid 2020… if-thens are a staple here.

Some still talked about Covid 2020… if-thens are a staple here.
The list of players missed either by transferring or choosing another player over said player is longer than Santa’s list for many posters.

This board loves to lament the incredible difference one or two missing players would make at SHU.

Clingon left the game trailing by 6 (after Bediako’s two FTs) with 3 fouls. If not injured he was going to sit for probably another 5-6 minutes. Who knows what would have happened but he wasn’t going to play the remaining 16 minutes of the 2nd half. Despite the injury, SHU’s offensive game plan put him in serious foul trouble.

Clingon left the game trailing by 6 (after Bediako’s two FTs) with 3 fouls. If not injured he was going to sit for probably another 5-6 minutes. Who knows what would have happened but he wasn’t going to play the remaining 16 minutes of the 2nd half. Despite the injury, SHU’s offensive game plan put him in serious foul trouble.
There are causes and effects to everything.

Clingan certainly wasn't going to play the last 16 minutes but presuming he doesn't foul out (again something we can't know) he's going to play at least eight and up to 12 minutes. If he plays, he's more likely to get Bediako into foul trouble. Based on the other night, Samson Johnson is far from an adequate replacement for Clingan.

Clingan was plus-7 in under 14 minutes not to mention he scored 14 of UConn's 35 points up to the point he had to leave the game. He was the only UConn player that played more than a minute to register a plus when he was on the floor.

He left with his second foul with 5:55 in the first half and we outscored UConn 16-7 in that stretch. After he left the game for good we were plus-11 (36-25).

Do we win if he plays. Yes, very possibly. But you can't deny that his presence didn't make a huge difference. Not having him on the floor materially changed UConn's offensive game plan.

But IMO, a healthy Clingan is superior to the best Sanogo. Johnson didnt play great the other day but he is pretty good. We got them a little flustered and three big weapons were all down - the two guards and Karaban. They have never played before so many old people and it freaked them out.

I have watched Uconn a few times and they look NC good to me. As long as the FF is not at the Rock lol

Reactions: CL82
But IMO, a healthy Clingan is superior to the best Sanogo. Johnson didnt play great the other day but he is pretty good. We got them a little flustered and three big weapons were all down - the two guards and Karaban. They have never played before so many old people and it freaked them out.

I have watched Uconn a few times and they look NC good to me. As long as the FF is not at the Rock lol
14-10 now in the Big East the last few years. Something like 23-1 outside the league.

Agree about Clingan over Sanogo, he’s just so much bigger. But the combo of Sanogo and Clingan was just way too much for opposing teams to handle. Clingan and Sampson not the same. Plus Clingan seems more fragile physically than Sanogo.

Agreed.

No one in the current lineup is a Lockdown defender like Andre Jackson was at times
I think the hope is that Castle is the next Hawkins, and your point about Cam not being Jackson is fair, but that is not the intention.
Unlike Whitehead, Powell, Sanogo, Delgado, Robinson-Earl, Jackson is the type of player whose style fits the pros more so than college.

I think the hope is that Castle is the next Hawkins, and your point about Cam not being Jackson is fair, but that is not the intention.
Unlike Whitehead, Powell, Sanogo, Delgado, Robinson-Earl, Jackson is the type of player whose style fits the pros more so than college.
Castle is more of a slasher/scorer than a three-point threat. we need him to get healthy again. He's also a good distributor and may be the best defender on the team.

Another thing i noticed last night when watching it again. Much of the clingan positive numbers came with jb and kr sitting. Then kr came in and energized us, clingan got #2 soon and we took off.

I hope our performance today takes,away some of the shock i feel about the uconn game.

Reactions: hallstorm and sami
I think we just took it to them after the rough start. That was the most connected and tenacious defense we've played all year. Our defense had Karaban and Spencer totally off balance and we forced Newton into 6 turnovers(!). Clingan's injury allowed us to take the top off but even with him on the floor we were up 6 after being down 10 and weren't intimidated by him offensively. That play was also his 3rd foul.

I thought Samson Johnson would've done better in backing up Clingan. 🤷‍♂️

I was surprised at how easily we were beating them off the dribble and getting to the rim offensively.

Reactions: Hall84
Surprised by Samson Johnson also.
I’ve seen a lot of UConn and he’s played well.
Very athletic and a good switch up player from Clingon.

Reactions: Seton75
To me they lost the game on defense.

UCONN is currently ranked 19th in the country in defensive efficiency and 2nd in 2PT% even after Wednesday's game. Seton Hall shot .542 from 2PT, grabbed 14 offensive rebounds, and got to the line at will. The Hall scored 75 points on them with only 3 made 3PFG. Crazy.

If you're talking about me, I got on when I got home from the game and offered my congratulations in the notes thread. It was a complete victory by Seton Hall in all facets of the game. Annoying as all heck, but you guys came to play and we did not step up.

For what it's worth, to the posters who indicated that this was just an off night by Connecticut, I'd say that Seton Hall had a heck of a lot to do with that. They played great in your face defense, and were aided by Big East officiating which allows a lot of contact. Note, I'm not saying that it was home cooking by the refs or anything, I'm saying that big east basketball has always been physical. Seton Hall was ready for that and out toughed us. As I said last night, hopefully we can return the favor at our place.

Huge quad one win for you guys that has the potential to significantly help your postseason hopes if you continue to build off it.

Congrats, beating a top five team is always huge. Beating them decisively is even bigger.

(When is Kadary Richmond graduating again?)
He can take another year, but I'm sure he won't. Let's hope he stays healthy for the entire year.

We were beating you guys at home last year without Dre Davis and before Richmond went down in that game with an injury.

Something about this matchup?

Reactions: CL82
Surprised by Samson Johnson also.
I’ve seen a lot of UConn and he’s played well.
Very athletic and a good switch up player from Clingon.
Johnson didn't like the physicality from what I saw. He's more of a finesse player
Thats one reason

He can take another year, but I'm sure he won't. Let's hope he stays healthy for the entire year.

We were beating you guys at home last year without Dre Davis and before Richmond went down in that game with an injury.

Something about this matchup?
It always seems like it's a rock fight regardless of the relative standings of the two teams at the time of the game. That's part of the charm of the big east.

He congratulated us that night and has posted on some other threads but he is obviously a little depressed
I'd say more disappointed than depressed. Now if we lose today to St. John's...

Another thing i noticed last night when watching it again. Much of the clingan positive numbers came with jb and kr sitting. Then kr came in and energized us, clingan got #2 soon and we took off.

I hope our performance today takes,away some of the shock i feel about the uconn game.
There was a two-minute span when Clingan was on the floor and Bediako and Richmond were not. From 10:55 to 8:47 in the first half.

He scored one basket and grabbed two rebounds during that time frame.

There was a two-minute span when Clingan was on the floor and Bediako and Richmond were not. From 10:55 to 8:47 in the first half.

Not enough of a sample size.

I could say that only playing 14 min helps Clingan from getting tired and wearing down.

Those numbers remind me of the baseball player that plays 90 games and hits 25 homers and the “projections” that are soool hypothetical and isn’t real life because pitchers adjust.

In Clingan’s case, he carries a lot of that frame and I’m willing to bet if the game continued with him there’s a good chance he gets into foul trouble due to fatigue.

What did we do?

Not enough of a sample size.

I could say that only playing 14 min helps Clingan from getting tired and wearing down.

Those numbers remind me of the baseball player that plays 90 games and hits 25 homers and the “projections” that are soool hypothetical and isn’t real life because pitchers adjust.

In Clingan’s case, he carries a lot of that frame and I’m willing to bet if the game continued with him there’s a good chance he gets into foul trouble due to fatigue.
That was in response to saying Clingan did much of his damage when Bediako and Kadary were out. Of course it's a small sample size. It was the only part of the game that circumstance existed.

What did we do?
As a team, scored two points and watched the lead go from four to 10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT