ADVERTISEMENT

And you wonder why he was our hero growing up?

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

On April 17, 1953, baseball history was forever altered in Washington D.C.'s Griffith Stadium. The young and prodigious Mickey Mantle hit a colossal 565-foot home run that day not only left spectators in disbelief but also gave birth to a new term in baseball lexicon: the "tape-measure home run."

DhcrHTMU0AEmElh.jpg

61-topps-mnatle-565-homer.jpg

They told a great Mick story on some crazy channel my wife was watching. In the early 60s a young metro area girl who was baseball crazy put her name into a contest for little league boys. She won, got a Mickey M bat, and he was very, very nice to her. The bat he gave her was priced at 35K 10 years ago, now might be worth 75 and she aint selling.

They told a great Mick story on some crazy channel my wife was watching. In the early 60s a young metro area girl who was baseball crazy put her name into a contest for little league boys. She won, got a Mickey M bat, and he was very, very nice to her. The bat he gave her was priced at 35K 10 years ago, now might be worth 75 and she aint selling.
I saw that on Channel 7 last night. I believe the woman was on Antiques Road Show.

Reactions: Seton75
I got a Mantle Bat at Bat day, had him sign it used it the next day, shattered all over the Streets of Nutley. Oh Well

I got a Mantle Bat at Bat day, had him sign it used it the next day, shattered all over the Streets of Nutley. Oh Well
The Bat Day bats all had a short shelf life but going to the stadium that day was the best.

As a lifetime Yankee fan, Mantle was one of those special players. Unfortunately, he was well past his prime when I got to see him in person at a game.

In the late 80s I was having dinner at a Ruth Chris steakhouse in Dallas. He was there with his family two tables over. I so wanted to go over and introduce myself and thank him for all the thrills, but you don’t do that when someone is out with their family.

It turned out he was inebriated and had to be carried out of the restaurant. I was devastated.

As a lifetime Yankee fan, Mantle was one of those special players. Unfortunately, he was well past his prime when I got to see him in person at a game.

In the late 80s I was having dinner at a Ruth Chris steakhouse in Dallas. He was there with his family two tables over. I so wanted to go over and introduce myself and thank him for all the thrills, but you don’t do that when someone is out with their family.

It turned out he was inebriated and had to be carried out of the restaurant. I was devastated.
A tragic Greek hero.

As he said, if I knew I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Yogi said that when The Mick batted righ handed, opposing third basemen were terrified because of the velocity of the ball coming off his bat.

LOL. I won a ball autographed by Yogi. Came home one day and my bro (giving you a lot of press today Bob lol, miss you!!) is playing three flies six grounder with a pal. In the street. With my Yogi ball.

Used to like stopping in Mick's bar on 57th street. Always great sports talk. Wish I could remember whose uni was in that display by the bar, an old time NYY great.

Reactions: Halldan1
Even that is not foolproof, see Max Shulga and Villanova.

LOL. I won a ball autographed by Yogi. Came how one day and my bro (giving you a lot of press today Bob lol, miss you!!)is playing three flies six grounder with a pal. In the street. With my Yogi ball.

Used to like stopping in Micks bar on 57th street. Always great sports talk. Wish I could remember whose uni was in that display by the bar, an old time NYY great.
Dale Berra posts regularly on the RU Rivals Board. He posted that Yogi would bring bats home that were used by Mickey, Roger Maris, Elston Howard, etc for he and his brothers to play baseball with. Of course, he now regrets hot having these bats as souveniers.

My dad took my brother and I to Two Guys in Totowa to get autographs from Clete Boyer and Elston Howard circa 1964 or 65. We kept the balls as mementos for awhile but when we were in a middle of game and the cover fell off the ball we were using, we started using the Boyer and Howard autographed balls. Darn!

Reactions: HALL85 and Halldan1
Remember taping the balls when the cover fell off?

My dad was in charge of the equipment one season for our little league. Kept it in our cellar. The next spring we found some bats and balls he forgot to return. They were put to good use quickly

Yogi said that when The Mick batted right handed, opposing third basemen were terrified because of the velocity of the ball coming off his bat.
I remember him playing against the Twins and he hit a ball so hard that it tore the glove off the 3rd baseman and took it into left field.

Reactions: batts
The original Yankee Stadium with the monuments on the field - had to look up the dimensions...wow. 500 ft to left center, 487 to center.

Walking home from HS one day. Pass a serious NYY fan waiting for his Dad, radio to his ear, tells me McLain grooved one for Mick. Was that for 500? Never liked that.

Yogi said that when The Mick batted righ handed, opposing third basemen were terrified because of the velocity of the ball coming off his bat.
Same thing with Williams and first baseman. Mickey Vernon asked permission from his manager to play back in Shallow right field when Ted came to bat and no one was on first.

Last edited:
Reactions: batts
The original Yankee Stadium with the monuments on the field - had to look up the dimensions...wow. 500 ft to left center, 487 to center.

Walking home from HS one day. Pass a serious NYY fan waiting for his Dad, radio to his ear, tells me McLain grooved one for Mick. Was that for 500? Never liked that.
Apparently it was 535 which, at the time, passed Jimmie Foxx.

Reactions: Seton75
And to think I had lots of bubble gum baseball cards when I was a kid and they included some of Micks and to think how much fun I had reading them and how much fun I would have today if I kept them and sold them! I could buy Rivals and own this forum!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT