ADVERTISEMENT

Rest In Peace Donald Sutherland!

I'm too young to really know his earlier work, whatever that was, but to me he was an unbelievable character actor. Movies like Animal House and Backdraft.

His body of work was extensive and impressive. That’s what stands out the most to me. Also, while no one ever called him a chameleon or anything, he was fairly diverse in his roles, effectively playing all kinds of different characters.

What also strikes me as interesting is despite him being a lead in some big time award winning films(Klute, M*A*S*H* and Ordinary People) it was always his strong acting that seemed to get overlooked during awards seasons. However it was his contributions that greatly helped those films become the bonafide classics they are. That he wasn’t nominated for an Oscar for Ordinary People is a bit of a head-scratcher - it’s also odd that the then young Timothy Hutton won Best Supporting Actor when he was clearly a lead.

Being the horror buff that I am, I always loved his work I’m the eerie and criminally under-seen Don’t Look Now. Also, The 1978 version of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is Sci-Fi masterpiece. Much like the 1982 version of The Thing, Bodysnatchers equals its 1950s counterpart. Donald was a big reason why that updated version worked. R.I.P.

It’s sad we do seem to be losing a lot of big names lately in the entertainment and sports world. Very sad indeed.

His body of work was extensive and impressive. That’s what stands out the most to me. Also, while no one ever called him a chameleon or anything, he was fairly diverse in his roles, effectively playing all kinds of different characters.

What also strikes me as interesting is despite him being a lead in some big time award winning films(Klute, M*A*S*H* and Ordinary People) it was always his strong acting that seemed to get overlooked during awards seasons. However it was his contributions that greatly helped those films become the bonafide classics they are. That he wasn’t nominated for an Oscar for Ordinary People is a bit of a head-scratcher - it’s also odd that the then young Timothy Hutton won Best Supporting Actor when he was clearly a lead.

Being the horror buff that I am, I always loved his work I’m the eerie and criminally under-seen Don’t Look Now. Also, The 1978 version of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is Sci-Fi masterpiece. Much like the 1982 version of The Thing, Bodysnatchers equals its 1950s counterpart. Donald was a big reason why that updated version worked. R.I.P.

It’s sad we do seem to be losing a lot of big names lately in the entertainment and sports world. Very sad indeed.
I agree he was brilliant in Ordinary People and should have at least been nominated for the Oscar. Just a great, great actor.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT