ADVERTISEMENT

As the season nears - X Factor

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

During the upcoming weeks I will post a series of pressing questions as pertains to the program.

Today we'll discuss the team's X factor

Simply put the X factor is defined as a circumstance, quality, or person that has a strong but unpredictable influence. It is not the best player. It is not someone whose impact is considered a certainty.

So with that said and knowing that there are many candidates that would fit the above description but only being able to choose one my pick came down to returning 6-10 players Tyrese Samuel or Tray Jackson. With my eventual choice being Jackson.

Why? Simple. Last year's staff as well as this year's staff believe that Jackson is the most physical gifted athlete on the team. And at 6-10 the tallest as well. That combination, especially when you add long range shooting accuracy to the puzzle should be a player vying for All Big East honors and not one fighting for minutes and a starting position. Yet that is where Jackson is at right now.

His impact on the team is a question mark. But a question mark with a ridiculously high ceiling.

When Jackson first transferred to the Hall he initially had to sit out his first year here. But COVID changed that and halfway through the season he was deemed eligible. Yet despite that he barely played with the explanation from his head coach being he lacked confidence in his game and had to find out where he fit in.

Now it's two seasons later. The experience he garnered last year under Willard and now all summer long playing for Holloway should serve him well. But will it?

Word is that Jackson is still an enigma. There are days, as there were last year, when he's the best player in the gym. But those days are often followed by his disappearing on the court mainly due to his proclivity to wandering on the perimeter looking to shoot from distance and not using his size and athletic ability to maximize his impact.

Jackson is my X factor because of his potential. But that potential could result in his positive contributions or it could result in it being unfulfilled.

I have no feel for what lies ahead for Tray Jackson and I hear that the staff feels the same. That to me is the epitome of what an X factor is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.